FIFTY Something and Fab ;)

Options
Just joined, looking for those of us who have reached the half century mark. But would love to hear from anyone who is here trying to get healthy and live a happy life.

Replies

• phergert55
    Options
    Also my first day out here look forward to your success
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Is that you in your photo? If it is wow you look amazing for fifty something! Gorgeous!
  • rfsinfwb
    Options
    I like your profile story very much. I'm 53 myself and have made drastic changes since last August to get happy and healthy. Quit smoking (125 days thus far) after 41 years of successful smokery. Started extreme exercise (currently doing Insanity by Beach Body and about to add Tai Cheng). Began eating very nutritiously (mostly whole foods and mostly from the top two teirs of Michis Ladder - also Beach Body). I've had fabulous results - I should take some progress pics to post soon. Anyway, so much so, I'm looking forward to my next semi-annual doctor appointment. My doc doesn't even know I've quit smoking yet.

Anywho - Good thread. :-)
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Just joined, looking for those of us who have reached the half century mark. But would love to hear from anyone who is here trying to get healthy and live a happy life.
    :flowerforyou:
    Hey, I hit 25 days today-Welcome to 1/2 century-(yuck-LOL)-feel free to add me????-My dad lives in your city!
  • udamom
    udamom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Joined a few days ago. will hit my 50th bday in July and don't want to be the cliche fat and fifty! Looking around on these message boards I'm feeling this site has mostly younger people...glad to see this Thread! add me..or maybe start a 45+ newbies group? :happy:
  • pmpm32
    pmpm32 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi

I'm 53 and just joined last week. I lost weight a little while back and am here to lose the pounds that have gradually crept back on.

All I can say is being 50 something is fab!

I live in London in the UK.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The fifties can be awesome! I'm happy to add friends looking for mutual support.
  • adriennejennifer
    Options
    Glad to hear there are some others over 50 out there!
    I have never been slim, but really piled on the weight when just after I turned 50 I got sarcoidosis and was unwell for several years.When at last I was able to stop taking the steroid drugs I needed I was very large and very unfit, though finally pain free. I have been regularly seeing a dietician who has been hugely supportive and wise. I don't want to be slim, I do want to be healthy and fit. It was easy to lose the first 10 kilos or so, but it has been a very slow journey since then. I am gradually re-educating my body to eat less, to find comfort in other things than food, to not eat when i am bored and to not pick at food while I am cooking. I love cooking, I love inviting friends and family and strangers to eat with us and I love special events like Christmas and birthdays. I am pleased that I am slimmer than I was but the main thing I'm happy about is that I feel healthier, have more energy and feel that I have a better relationship with food.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    OMG! There is no way you are 50! I'm not 50 but just was astounded here I had to say something!
  • 1aurane
    1aurane Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear there are some others over 50 out there!

Me too!! :flowerforyou:
  • Angelica400
    Angelica400 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I joined on the 5th January - after a look in the mirror I knew something had to be done to avoid the fat ind 50 something. The pounds are falling off and Gorgeous George the dog is enjoying his two long fast walks each day. Lets keep going MFP makes it easy.
  • gettingfitnana303
    Options
    Good Morning. I am 59 and will turn 60 this summer. There's a lot of us half a century and older folks here at mfp. :smile:
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Been here a couple of years. Lost 19lbs to get to goal......now losing it again for 2nd time :embarassed: Turned 50 last June. Happy to add you as a friend :flowerforyou:

Sue :smile: xxx
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Nifty at fifty
    Good job
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'll be fifty in October! I've been on MFP for just over a year and am 5lbs off my target. That said, I will still be around when I reach my goal as I'll carry on logging for maintenance; it's just something I do every day now, just like brushing my teeth :bigsmile:

Feel free to friend me if you like!
  • Elmary
    Elmary Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi there,
    Welcome to fitness pal, i joined last year. It is really a fab site. I lost 4kg (9lbs). I recently took running up and getting fitter and fitter every day. I think it is fab to be fifty.
  • Elmary
    Options
    I agree totally with you! I think fifty is better than fourty!
  • Elmary
    Options
    Hi Sue,
    I enjoy fitness pal alot! Keeps you on track, i went off for a while but decided to come back. It really helps with the eating.
    I turn the packet before i buy these days...thanks to this program.
  • Elmary
    Options
    Hi there,
    happy to hear you quit smoking! The best way to get over it, is to start exercising, everytime you feel like a smoke, go for a run.
    Good luck!
  • RoxyViguers
    RoxyViguers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm hitting 50 in July. It's getting more difficult to lose weight now. My pic is from when I was from when I was 45. I had more energy and stamina then. This getting older is for the birds as Betty Davis said, "Getting old isn't for sissies" I am simply trying to lose about 10 pounds but it feels like an insurmountable task.