My story on adding more calories and seeing results

Options
Thank you so much for reading this and I so appreciate your feedback. Ok, so last year it was very dificult for me to eat at 1300 calories...that was when I was really informed of how this whole thing worked. With eating only 1300 calories, in a way that lead me to binge eating almost every weekend..! It got pretty bad, I wasn't really loosing and more like maintaining...And now I told myself this is a lifestyle and if I can lose 1 pound per week, that's awesome. I started at 230 pounds, and now i'm back to 165...my goal is to be around 145-150, I'm 5'8. Okay so what I'm doing new is eating more, yes, a lot more. Now I eat between 1800-2200 calories per day with exercise 4-6 times per week. I'm now loosing 1 pound per week and I am so happy b/c now it's a lifestyle and I know I will reach my goal weight in time. :-) Just wanted to share that and to tell you that it's true...slow weight loss is better, that way you don't feel pressured to eat less and even though it will be at a slower pace, it will be definite. <3 We got this, lets rock 2013!!!

What about you guys..? Have you had something similar happened? Are you satisfy with your daily calorie requierments?

Replies

• LupitaWins12
    Options
    bump.. :-)
  • TracyJeffers
    TracyJeffers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is really awesome b/c I got on here and it stuck me at 1200 calories per day. I'm starting at 224 lbs and its sooooo hard to stay under 1200 calories. Then I run over and then feel bad and give up. I've been reading all over the message boards that you need more like 15-1800 calories to sustain yourself in a healthy way, so I upped my calorie goal to 1500 to start off with and that's a much more attainable goal. Thanks for the advice :)
  • LupitaWins12
    Options
    This is really awesome b/c I got on here and it stuck me at 1200 calories per day. I'm starting at 224 lbs and its sooooo hard to stay under 1200 calories. Then I run over and then feel bad and give up. I've been reading all over the message boards that you need more like 15-1800 calories to sustain yourself in a healthy way, so I upped my calorie goal to 1500 to start off with and that's a much more attainable goal. Thanks for the advice :)

Yay, good for you!! I know you can do it and you will..day by day, you got this! <3
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    This is great!

I've just started at around 1800-2000 instead of 1400 and so far I'm still the same weight but it's only been a week so I'll stick with it and see how it goes.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I went from 1200 to 1700 and am losing much faster now :)
  • ladycoy
    ladycoy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Same for me, i actually put weight on with the 1200 recommended limit andwas so dissapointed, am increasing to 1500 to if that helps,
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    so basically what MFP tells you is wrong? I worked out the TDEE/BMR thing tonight and my BMR is about 1800 but MFP told me 1370...
  • Meg_Rothermel
    Meg_Rothermel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS FOR ME!!!

I keep getting disappointed also because I either keep going over my limit (1200), or it discourages me from eating period and tells me I'm in starvation mode.

I'm going to give this a try and change mine to 1500.

Crossing my fingers!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    so basically what MFP tells you is wrong? I worked out the TDEE/BMR thing tonight and my BMR is about 1800 but MFP told me 1370...

Not exactly. MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories back.
  • trudijoy
    Options

ah okay. So rather than it be 1370 - but-changes- daily - depending - on - excercise i'm best to just whack it at 1800 and ignore what i burn?
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    at 1200 i lost 5 gaiend 5 lost 5 gained 5...you get it. So I was up 5 and increased to 1400 and lost 6 and kept it off but I am not lsoing anymore than that so far. It is aggrivating but I am trying to have patience. I work out 30 mins a day or more (mostly cardio and free weights/body resistance) but i want to get a gym membership once money is less tight in the next couple months. I hope to lsoe more then. Blah! I have been the same for almost 2 weeks!
  • LupitaWins12
    Options
    Don't give up...you can do it!!
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

RIGHT!!!!
  • trudijoy
    Options

RIGHT!!!!

so I do this...

So rather than it be 1370 - but-changes- daily - depending - on - excercise i'm best to just whack it at 1800 and ignore what i burn?

?

Thanks, there are some lovely helpful people in this thread. I got totally put off even considering TDEE/BMR the other day but you guys are awesome.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was eating from 1200-1500 daily, working out 6x a week and have been stuck in a plateau since Nov 27. I recently upped my cals to 1800 a day and I'll see where that gets me. I'm weighing after my TOM ends, so we'll see :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far and good luck with the rest - you definitely seem to be going about it the right way.
  • james1299
    james1299 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to gain weight if you're eating below maintenance, also impossible to maintain your current weight.
    The energy difference for your daily needs will come directly from your fat stores, there are no two ways about it.
    The bigger the deficit, the faster it will come off.

You can keep your energy up with some smart snack planning.
    So many people are afraid to eat fruit these days because of the sugar, fructose has an excellent GI rating
  • stefosaurusrawrrrr
    Options
    I wish I could add more calories :( psychologically something stops me, I always net around 1,200 despite wishing I could increase to ~1,500. It's like I default to restricting my intake to as low as healthily possible (I am 5'1" and ~102 lbs). Did anybody experience this, or have advice to overcome this? Intellectually I know that eating more will be good for me, but psychologically I'm finding it hard to do this.

And before anybody asks, yes, I have a diagnosed eating disorder but have been in recovery for about 2 years now.

It's not that I'm terrified of gaining weight, it's more..the numbers...the food itself, I don't know. I know that I won't gain weight even though I've probably screwed my metabolism from years of disordered eating.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options

ah okay. So rather than it be 1370 - but-changes- daily - depending - on - excercise i'm best to just whack it at 1800 and ignore what i burn?

Yes, it is slower, but it does work out to be a deficit for the week as a whole.
  • Jojan_neke
    Jojan_neke Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wish I could add more calories :( psychologically something stops me, I always net around 1,200 despite wishing I could increase to ~1,500. It's like I default to restricting my intake to as low as healthily possible (I am 5'1" and ~102 lbs). Did anybody experience this, or have advice to overcome this? Intellectually I know that eating more will be good for me, but psychologically I'm finding it hard to do this.

And before anybody asks, yes, I have a diagnosed eating disorder but have been in recovery for about 2 years now.

It's not that I'm terrified of gaining weight, it's more..the numbers...the food itself, I don't know. I know that I won't gain weight even though I've probably screwed my metabolism from years of disordered eating.

I kind of have the same problem. I have been treated for a short while for an eating disorder. It was not full blown anorexia or something, but I seem to love to control the things around me.
    When I do not watch my food I am ok (and eat very unhealthy), but the moment I decide to watch my eating habbits I get obsessed! Now I can't seem to eat enough. Daily I am around 600 - 900 calories. If I exercise I try to eat some more, but it happens a lot that I have a 1000 calories left to eat that day. I am affraid that I will not lose weight anymore because my body will go into starvation mode, but at the same time I get anxious seeing calories adding up.