help a noobie pls

Options
im wondering how many calories or what type of activity would closely match mucking out three horses stables, lifting and filling hay nets, grooming them etc as im not sure how to track this activity yet i shovel and wheel about 3 heafty wheelbarrows full off muck out of my horses stables every day, takes me about 30 minutes or so to do and once a week i do a full clean out - about 12 heavy wheelbarrows full of muck. but i wouldnt know what the calories burned are so dont know how to mark it.
any advice apreciated for this noobie thanks x

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    without a heart rate monitor you wouldn't know for sure.

you could lodge it as gardening?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Since you do it everyday instead of making that a planned workout, you might just want to change your activity setting to something higher than what you are using. For instance, do lightly active instead of sedentary. Then you wouldn't have to calculate it, you would only calculate dedicated workouts.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I would just set your calorie goal to active instead of sedentary. The only way to really be sure how much you're burning is to wear a heart rate monitor.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    last time i saw this question, they suggested logging it as shovelling snow :P
  • 2myfuture
    2myfuture Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I too have horses and I use the shoveling snow for the cleaning stalls and I just made my own for feeding and care, basically I used general cleaning as a guide. Then I really only have to track time spent. I dont even do that anymore I did it for a week and averaged it out, though it is pretty consistant. Hope this helps you!
  • gemrodger
    gemrodger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have horses to do every day too. this site gives a chart of the activity and the calories burned depending on your weight.
    Good luck :)
    http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/info/caloriesburned.html
  • lmr963
    lmr963 Posts: 4
    Options
    awesome responses thankyou all. i used shoveling snow too for the mucking out part yesterday. going to take a couple of suggestions and check out that link. thank you all :)