for the guys starting squat weight

Options
im going to try a 5x5 program im 50yr old what did you guys start with on your squats, i know each prson is different just trying to gage how bad i am lol

Replies

• geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body weight, as heavier people just naturally have more muscle in certain areas (to move the bigger body). When I started squatting when I weighed 240 pounds I was able to squat 135 (1 plate on each side) without any issues.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Doesnt the 5x5 program tell you to start with just the bar and then add 5 pounds each workout?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Doesnt the 5x5 program tell you to start with just the bar and then add 5 pounds each workout?
    Yes it does.

Follow the program and start with the bar.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes it does.

Yep. Form over weight. Build up.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I started 5x5 about 5 weeks ago....and i emplor you to start with an empty bar! it teaches you propper form and progressively works up... it gets hard enough soon so dont be too keen to jump into a high weight!.

I would also recomend looking up Mark Riptoe's Starting Strength, the DVD which you can get (i think the video's are on youtube) is great for showing you propper form for all the exersizes, Mehdi of 5x5 also has some great video's and writeups on undertaking the lifts properly.

Si
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Yes it does.

This, :)
  • Luckydrd
    Luckydrd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started 2 years ago. My starting squat weight was just the barbell. Every session I added 10lbs or 5lbs.

Remember, it's a Linear Progression (LP) program.

Take it easy in the beginning and work on your form.
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    thanks guys my form is good.....i think, i squatted for years as a young guy with coaches(usmc) so confident in my form just really disgusted in what little weight im using so interested to see what other were doing i definitely wont go to heavy to sacrifice form thanks again guys i would have quit 2 months ago if i didnt have this site for support
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    thanks guys my form is good.....i think, i squatted for years as a young guy with coaches(usmc) so confident in my form just really disgusted in what little weight im using so interested to see what other were doing i definitely wont go to heavy to sacrifice form thanks again guys i would have quit 2 months ago if i didnt have this site for support

Use Stronglifts 5x5. Start with the bar. Check your ego starting with the bar is good for you. I think with the progression you end up at 225 lbs in 9-12 weeks. You'll be lifting heavy quickly
  • bubbanene
    Options
    ego at door lol easier said than done but ill give it a try just seems waste of a couple months
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    ego at door lol easier said than done but ill give it a try just seems waste of a couple months

Definitely isnt a waste of time. The first month is a bit easy but thats by design. He does suggest that if you feel that you're way above the curve then you can start at 50% of 1 max rep. but nothing more than that. I am at month 2 currently and I've seen nice gains already.
  • bubbanene
    Options
    ok im sold ill do it as written have you had success with bench also? age?
    ?
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    I'm 30. Ive had success with Bench, Overhead press, Squat, Barbell rows and deadlifts ... Setting PRs in all of them for me
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    5x5 is very solid. Just eat to gain or lose, whatever your goal is.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go against the tide here.

Do not deload to the damned bar unless you absolutely cannot squat more than that. Even a detrained 90 pound woman can squat more than 45 pounds. Put at least something on there to get an idea of where your squat stands. It's too easy to form cheat on squat when the weight is way too light.

I started at 115 at a body weight of 245, and very quickly decided that even that was far too light.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I'm 30. Ive had success with Bench, Overhead press, Squat, Barbell rows and deadlifts ... Setting PRs in all of them for me
    same here, and I followed the program exactly as written.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    I'm gonna go against the tide here.

Do not deload to the damned bar unless you absolutely cannot squat more than that. Even a detrained 90 pound woman can squat more than 45 pounds. Put at least something on there to get an idea of where your squat stands. It's too easy to form cheat on squat when the weight is way too light.

I started at 115 at a body weight of 245, and very quickly decided that even that was far too light.

If someone is going to cheat at 45 theyre going to cheat at 225. The point is to get in a proper routine. Also it stays at 45 for 1 day and ups by 15 lbs per week. It quickly gets to a much tougher weight. If you start higher you get closer to failing on sets quicker which can set you back. The program is in place the way it is fora reason. Yea I probably could have squatted 185 or more right off the bat. However, I feel starting at the bar was much better for me.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i'd just do the program as its designed. how much are you going to hurt yourself but easing into it?

lol that being said you'd never see me just squatting the bar, and yes, thats the ego. cause i'd probably do the program as designed if i was doin it in the basement.

to make you scratch your heads even more, i rock 25 lbs on each side lol. I just go for forum and somewhat higher reps. not eating to gain mass anyway. i get up to 135 in three sets. I keep my knees touching each other and go even a tiny below parrallel. I feel its safe because i'm def way below a max weight.
  • bubbanene
    Options
    15 a week will add up fast im 50 so im thinking i may only train squats 2 time a week and even 10 a week isnt bad i guess ill check the ego
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    THE 5x5

There are lots of 5x5 routines. Not all say start with the empty bar and add weight each workout. Still not a bad idea in this case though.