Gained almost 7lbs. in a week, Yikes...but...

Options
I am supposed to start my period this week and I have been working out and walking/running. My hubby keeps telling me it's muscle but I was so proud of myself. Now I am like..ahhhh! (screaming) I also do typically gain 5-15lbs. with my period and I am hoping that is all it is. Anyone else have this issue and do you change your weight loss amount when it happens?? Help??

Replies

• marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't even weigh in for the week around my period! I would definitely never change the weight loss amount. Don't worry about it! :)
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Avoid the scale and tape measurers anywhere near that time lol
  • fatladysings72
    Options
    I never thought about no weighing in this week. Lol.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Dont weigh around your visitor. She is heavy and mean.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to start my period this week and I have been working out and walking/running. My hubby keeps telling me it's muscle but I was so proud of myself. Now I am like..ahhhh! (screaming) I also do typically gain 5-15lbs. with my period and I am hoping that is all it is. Anyone else have this issue and do you change your weight loss amount when it happens?? Help??

You know you gain weight with your period, but your asking why you have gained weight with your period....?
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am having the same issues at the moment. I seem to have magically put on nearly 4lbs, despite being very sensible with my eating. Even though on an intellectual level I know it must be TOM weight - after all there is no way I have consumed over 10,000 calories extra in the space of one week; it is still horrible to see it on the scale.
  • fatladysings72
    Options
    "You know you gain weight with your period, but your asking why you have gained weight with your period....?"

Well, gee, when you say it like that it sounds stupid! I guess it just took me off guard because this is only my 5th week and I lost a lot at first.. as expected and then all of a sudden in just a few days the scale is creeping up. I just really needed to know if others log their weight gain during this time and comiserate with the fact that we do gain! lol

Edited to add: Thanks for the support of all who are saying don't log it. That made me feel better.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    If you gained 7 pounds of fat, that means you ate over 24,000 calories over maintenance. I doubt that happened!

Just water retention, as you said, you normally hold onto water during this time.

Just keep up with what you're doing!
  • fatladysings72
    Options
    If you gained 7 pounds of fat, that means you ate over 24,000 calories over maintenance. I doubt that happened!

You are right, I am almost always under my goal and most days I eat back half of my calories I burn or not at all. I needed to see that- you can't lie with numbers..lol Thanks.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think women and men for that matter should weight themselves every day, multiple times a day, especially around your period. This way, you get to understand that weight and fat are different. The sooner you can really come to terms with that, the sooner you can relax and not be tempted to do something silly like run a zero calorie day and eat 1000 calories and try to exercise 1000, to try to "make up ground" after a weight gain like this or after a cheat weekend or bad few days, or bad week for that matter. Salt,potassium, carbohydrate and protein intake, and of course estrogen amounts, can make a great deal of difference in water retention and water weight. Get your intake in and don't worry about it. If you're eating 1500 calories, you're eating 1500 calories. Trust the math, pay no attention to the scale. It makes people abuse themselves. And no, 7 lbs of muscle is a ton of muscle. It's water. I will be doing a video about this soon
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    tell me your secret! i have to gain weight FAST!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I don't give weight (heh) to the numbers on my scale 4-5 days before, all the days during, and a week post-period, like everyone said water retention and hormones can make your weight fluctuate like crazy.
  • fatladysings72
    Options
    I think women and men for that matter should weight themselves every day, multiple times a day, especially around your period. This way, you get to understand that weight and fat are different. The sooner you can really come to terms with that, the sooner you can relax and not be tempted to do something silly like run a zero calorie day and eat 1000 calories and try to exercise 1000, to try to "make up ground" after a weight gain like this or after a cheat weekend or bad few days, or bad week for that matter. Salt,potassium, carbohydrate and protein intake, and of course estrogen amounts, can make a great deal of difference in water retention and water weight. Get your intake in and don't worry about it. If you're eating 1500 calories, you're eating 1500 calories. Trust the math, pay no attention to the scale. It makes people abuse themselves. And no, 7 lbs of muscle is a ton of muscle. It's water. I will be doing a video about this soon

^^^ This!! excellent advice, and I would love to see that video.