New Tattoo & Exercise Advice -- PLEASE

Options
Hello! So I recently got my 3rd tattoo and it is on my arm. I am training for a half marathon in March and I have a 10k on Sunday. I have a strength training program that requires 5 days of working out and running program with at least 4 days of running. How do I properly protect my new ink when I exercise? When I got my other two tattoos, I wasn't very active...unless you count beer pong, bar hopping, and dancing. lol

PLEASE any advice would be FABULOUS!!!!

Replies

• sMCmason
    sMCmason Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just went through this three weeks ago. Don't worry too much; the important thing is to keep it clean. Keep all clothing off of it if possible. If you must cover it up, make sure the clothing is loose. I would say to keep away from the gym when it is peeling (around day 3-4). Make those your run days because there is not much you can do to avoid leaving droppings of ink and skin behind you. Do not let anyone tell you to cover it up with plastic! It needs to breathe in order to heal. Gently clean with antibacterial soap when done, blot dry, and reapply moisturizer so it does not get dried out. Good luck!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I just went through this three weeks ago. Don't worry too much; the important thing is to keep it clean. Keep all clothing off of it if possible. If you must cover it up, make sure the clothing is loose. I would say to keep away from the gym when it is peeling (around day 3-4). Make those your run days because there is not much you can do to avoid leaving droppings of ink and skin behind you. Do not let anyone tell you to cover it up with plastic! It needs to breathe in order to heal. Gently clean with antibacterial soap when done, blot dry, and reapply moisturizer so it does not get dried out. Good luck!

Regarding the wrapping in plastic - is that not an option during the workout though? A bit of cling film so you don't mess up the equipment and take it off straight afterwards?
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am having one done on Thursday, and my Tattooist said it would be fine to cover it up for an hour or so if it was likely to get rubbed or sweaty, but make sure the rest of the time it is exposed to the air (with all the washing, appropriate cream etc).
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hmm, i am for the bar hopping.