Insanity + P90x. Am I overdoing it?

Options
I started Insanity right after finishing P90x about 1.5 months ago, but lately (past 2 weeks) i've been doing the normal Insanity program and adding CardioX, Kenpo+ or Interval+ from P90x everyday. That sums up to around 90 to 105 minutes of "Cardio" daily.

Is it too much? or would it be better if i traded the extra cardio for Resistance training?

Also I'm about to finish Insanity so im trying to figure out whats next, any suggestions on that? Maybe continue the hybrid or is there something else you recommend?

=)

Edit: Maybe some info may help, I'm 5' 7'' male, already lost 42 pounds with around 40 more to go.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio can be counterproductive in that you will lose lean body mass in addition to the body fat you are losing.

I would personally add in resistance training to prevent that from happening.

Instead of doing P90X cardio plus Insanity cardio, why not do P90X with Insanity as your cardio? That's they way most people do the hybrid of the 2 programs.
  • eyvindur
    eyvindur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's going to be way too much. Also, you should add resistance training. It does much more for you than cardio. My approach is this: I do cardio for my cardiovascular health, but I do resistance training for weight loss, because that speeds up the metabolism, and is way more effective to shed fat.

I'm doing a program called Rushfit, which is sort of like a hybrid of P90X and Insanity. I think a great thing to do would be to do Rushfit, with Insanity for cardio (the program doesn't provide you with cardio, so you can do whatever you want).
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Definitely add in the resistance in place of extra cardio. I did a hybrid of P90x and Insanity after first round of Insanity. You won't be sorry.
  • misssmarita
    Options
    In my opinion, yes, you are overdoing it. If you love both, I would try and create your own routine, pick and chose your favorite bits from both :) As long as you keep within reasonable limits, meet your weekly workout goal, and have a sensible balance between cardio and strength, you should be fine. I like to run (baha! more like walk), but it's a tough uphill climb when I'm so out of shape to begin with. I also tried Zumba a while back and totally digged it. Hope you figure out something that works for you!

GOOD LUCK!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    I started Insanity right after finishing P90x about 1.5 months ago, but lately (past 2 weeks) i've been doing the normal Insanity program and adding CardioX, Kenpo+ or Interval+ from P90x everyday. That sums up to around 90 to 105 minutes of "Cardio" daily.

Is it too much? or would it be better if i traded the extra cardio for Resistance training?

Also I'm about to finish Insanity so im trying to figure out whats next, any suggestions on that? Maybe continue the hybrid or is there something else you recommend?

=)

Edit: Maybe some info may help, I'm 5' 7'' male, already lost 42 pounds with around 40 more to go.
    I would take out the extra cardio ond ad in the p90x legs and back, chest and back, shoulders and arms, and maybe even yoga. As for what to do after insanity, maybe Tapout XT, I really want to do that one. It looks like an crazy good workout