Where it got me.

Options
This is a warning to all the girls that are not eating enough.
I started counting calories in September last year, usually I was eating around 1500-1600 but on some days i'd go as low as 1300 and of course, i would have cheat days every week, so 2000 plus.
Doesn't seem like starving to you?
I am 5'8" (173 cm) and 108 lbs (49 kg) now. My starting weight was 128 lbs. I am 21 years old, and my body needs way more than that. And i've been doing this for 4 months, plus i was lifting 3 times a week.
I was happy with myself and with my diet, I could eat what seemed to be a lot compared to 1200 calorie diets. I didn't exactly "feel" that something was terribly wrong, my brain was working fine, I doing great in school, and I had enough energy. I finally got my model's body i've always wanted. But...
I lost my period and i went to gynecologist a few days ago. I literally ruined my metabolism and hormones. I also did all kinds of tests, and the results are, if I don't gain weight, at least 12 lbs in the next 6 months, i will not be able to have children, because all my reproductive organs will stop working.
i don't even have to say how scared i am and now i'm really doing my best to gain weight.
Learn from my mistakes, even if you don't feel you're hungry and you're eating enough, your body might be starving.
This is just one of the things starving can do. Please girls, don't do it.

Replies

• Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Hey hun, well said! Im only sorry you found out the way you did but glad you found out before it was to late. I wish you a speedy recovery babe!
  • Eliza_J
    Options
    I understand what you are saying about not cutting your calories so much, but that aside, i dont see why at 5"8" and 128lbs you would even be trying to lose weight!!! tone up and add muscle maybe but at that height 128lbs is quite low, especially at the age of 21, i know that when i was that age my metabolism was through the roof, I am also your height and i am 168lbs, my goal weight is 140lbs, glad that you are getting the help that you need but i also think its important to just be happy with the way that you are especially when you dont need to lose weight in the first place. x
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! It takes courage to post your story!!!

Good luck!!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I hope your health improves quickly. Take care!
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Wishing you all the best.

I know you will get better, you have the entire MFP brigade supporting you. :drinker:
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Well said, I wish you luck!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I hope you get better soon!!!!!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    thank you guys <3 it really means a lot to me
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That sucks but you were on too low a calorie intake for your height, I'm 5'5 so 128 won't be damaging to be compared to you. I hope you gain the weight you need and return to full health.
  • smather0315
    smather0315 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You have courage others don't. You should be proud of who you are on the inside.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Natashaa, I'm so glad to hear that you are getting help and getting healthy. And that you see the value and importance in that. It's also wonderful that you are reaching out to other girls. I was really worried about you. Keep up the great work on getting healthy!! You have my support in that! :heart:
  • lmr963
    lmr963 Posts: 4
    Options
    had to comment on this as i can relate so much to what youve written only it got a lot more severe in my case. short story started calorie counting and exercising, as the weeks went on my portions got smaller and smaller, the weight dropped off and i was happy about it. within 4 months i had lost 5 stone but by then i was literally starving myself living off coffee and the thought of food made me feel sick.
    i got my wake up call when i found out i was pregnant, was a shock because i was on the pill but it most likely failed because of what i was doing to my body. i started to miscarry that same day it was bad and turned out i had been carrying twins the miscarrage lasted 11 days between losing the first and losing the 2nd (they estimated that i was about 6 and 8 weeks in at time of loses)
    i was so blinded by wanting to lose weight and gain some kind of control that i killed my babies. (my fertility prior to "dieting" was tip top had 3 pregnancies and 3 very healthy babies) i messed my body up big time, i was heartbroken at the damage i had done and started eating again slowly but it seems too little too late, and although i still get monthly cycles we havent been able to concieve in the last 3 years of trying. (trying for my 3 kids never really was trying i was blessed to concieve them all pretty much at the mention of wanting another baby)
    oh also because i starved my body of vital nutrients my teeth litterally fell apart and i had to have them all removed at the age of 25.
    im here this time to try and lose the extra weight the right way.

good luck with everything i hope your body adjusts and you get good news x
  • lmr963
    lmr963 Posts: 4
    Options
    p.s by severe i meant my eating habbits as i apriciate i was blessed to have children before i messed up my fertility and i hope that you have a good outcome x
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    had to comment on this as i can relate so much to what youve written only it got a lot more severe in my case. short story started calorie counting and exercising, as the weeks went on my portions got smaller and smaller, the weight dropped off and i was happy about it. within 4 months i had lost 5 stone but by then i was literally starving myself living off coffee and the thought of food made me feel sick.
    i got my wake up call when i found out i was pregnant, was a shock because i was on the pill but it most likely failed because of what i was doing to my body. i started to miscarry that same day it was bad and turned out i had been carrying twins the miscarrage lasted 11 days between losing the first and losing the 2nd (they estimated that i was about 6 and 8 weeks in at time of loses)
    i was so blinded by wanting to lose weight and gain some kind of control that i killed my babies. (my fertility prior to "dieting" was tip top had 3 pregnancies and 3 very healthy babies) i messed my body up big time, i was heartbroken at the damage i had done and started eating again slowly but it seems too little too late, and although i still get monthly cycles we havent been able to concieve in the last 3 years of trying. (trying for my 3 kids never really was trying i was blessed to concieve them all pretty much at the mention of wanting another baby)
    oh also because i starved my body of vital nutrients my teeth litterally fell apart and i had to have them all removed at the age of 25.
    im here this time to try and lose the extra weight the right way.

good luck with everything i hope your body adjusts and you get good news x

i am so sorry to hear that, your story broke my heart :(