Painful running! =/

Options
I've just recently started running again and after every run I have painful shin splints :frown:
I was wondering if anyone knew of any ways of avoiding them?

Replies

• FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started running again and after every run I have painful shin splints :frown:

Not really sure how to avoid them. You may not want to run until you heal and I say this from experience. Don't make things worse now because you'll pay for it later. If it hurts, stop.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are wearing proper running shoes, and that your form is good (land on the middle of your foot). Do an active warm up before you start running, and make sure you stretch after your run. A foam roller on your calves and shins may help. Ice your shins right after your run; you can use a dixie cup, it works well for shins. You may be doing too much, too soon....possibly consider shortening your runs until the shin splints are no longer an issue. Good luck!
  • carsonbaldwin
    carsonbaldwin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    While running seems straight forward, it does need some build up before hitting it hard to get all the muscles/joints tuned in. Start with longer and faster walks, then light running, don't push too hard too early. Also, make sure you have good shoes. I couldn't run much at all until I was taken to a running store that put me on a treadmill and evaluated my stride and fit me accordingly. I've since put in many miles and enjoyed many races. Finally, and this is vague, make sure you're not doing something wrong with technique, possibly subconsciously. Treadmills can make you unnaturally shorten your stride, if you're going up and off curbs or uneven surfaces a lot it can cause issues, or if you're like me, and have to consciously let your toes curl and roll rather than clench down like bird talons when pushing off. One last thought, if you're getting in on the minimalist trend, proper build up is even more important to condition your body. Even more important to start with walking, running on soft surfaces, etc. Good luck.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi,

take some time off to let them heal. When you get back into it try to shorten your running stride. A mistake that new runners are notorious for is overstriding and doing too much too soon. Try to land closer to the middle of your foot too instead of striking with your heel - when you heel strike your leg and joints have to absorb something like 3x your body weight, and heel striking has been shown to contribute to shin splint issues. If you land on your midfoot your body is able to absorb the impact a little bit better.

Going forward make sure you listen to your body - if something's painful (beyond normal good workout soreness) take some time to let it heal.

Hope this helps - happy running :)
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options

This fall I was in a running group. The trainer told me to take a rolling pin and go of my shins,. It sounds funny, but it really works. It will hurt..
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    To heal them, take ibuprofen and ice them for 15 minutes twice a day. Do low impact exercise only until they're fully recovered.

To prevent:
    1. Make sure you're in the right running shoes for you. Get fitted at a proper running shop. Then and only then can you buy the same model cheaper online.
    2. Watch your technique. Beginner runners tend to try to land on their heels. The constant toe-lifting and unnecessarily high impact is one of the biggest causes of shin-splints. Look up mid-foot landing - let your leg swing naturally to under, not in front of your boy, and let your foot land in a relaxed position. You should find you land in your mid-foot naturally.
    3. S-T-R-E-T-C-H! Kneel down on your feet and lean backwards as far as you can, feeling the stretch down the front of your shins.
    4. Strengthen. Every opportunity you get, kick off your shoes and write out the alphabet with your toes. You should feel the muscles down the front of your shins engaging.
    5. Take it steady. If you're not already, use a programme like C25K and take at least three days a week off.

Hope that helps, I've got some ore beginner's running tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Don't forget to come back and let us know how you get on :flowerforyou:
  • Ben1809
    Options
    Wow! I didn't expect so many replies!
    Thank you for everyones advice, i'll take it all on board and let you know how I get on :bigsmile:
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/list_7262222_warm_up-exercises-shin-splints.html

Here are some exercises to strenghten those shins. Toe tapping really helped me fix mine when I first started running 4 years ago. Still tap my toes whenever I can. Best thing - tapping toes can be done almost anywhere. I do it while sitting at my desk at work.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Some very good advice here. I used to get really bad hip pain, I got measured for running shoes, changed my stride and have never looked back. I think someone already mentioned it, but if you are a new runner- gradually build up the mileage instead of going all out. That way your body will get used to the increase and you will be less prone to injury!

Most of all enjoy! running is great fun!
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options

My husband had this happen. He had to get new shoes. We went to a New Balance store and they fit him for a pair. He has low arches, so they go him to try out a pair specifically for that and then added new inserts to help bring it up even more. He can now run so much farther with no pain in his shins. I'd definitely go to a store that has people who know what they are talking about for new shoes and/or inserts. Good luck!
  • moaker
    moaker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering with shin splints too, I think I threw myself into running too hard and fast. Unfortunately I can't be much help apart from echoing others on here that the right shoes are important. The only way I have managed to completely get rid of mine has been resting my body from the impact, took a week off and cross-trained instead and felt much better after a week.

I also think that it improves as you lose weight as the impact lessens so don't let it put you off running completely!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    stretch! i was having the same horrible problem. evne my calves were killing me! i now stretch for a good 5 minutes of solid stretching for my calves and shins and feeling BETTER!!! try it!! but i mean REALLY REALLY RELLLY stretch!