Plateau...advice

Options
Manuka
Manuka Posts: 35 Member
Hi, I seem to have reached a plateau. I've been hovering around the same couple of pounds for about 3 weeks. I've been following the calorie intake, cycling and walking loads, eating exercise calories and recently started c25k. Has anyone got any advice to get the weight loss going again? Thank you!

Replies

• SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Every single time I have zig-zagged my food and exercise I have broken the plateau. Our bodies seem to be way too clever at working out what energy it will need and if you get in a routine our bodies seem to adapt.

Increase and decrease your calories per day (as an example 1600 one day, 1400 the next, 1700 the next and so on). Don't go too mad and suddenly drop hundreds because you don't need know. Just enough to keep your body guessing.

Likewise with the exercise. Change routines so your body can't get used to a set routine.

This combined has broken every plateau I've hit.
  • Manuka
    Options
    Thanks Simon, I'll try that. It's just really hard to keep motivated when even though I've upped my exercise, the weight still will not budge! Do you also change round your exercise routine/time of day you exercise? I'm totally a routine person so will probably find that hard!
  • SimonLondon
    Options
    I love routines as well so I also find it very hard. I also love treadmills more than everything else so it's even harder for me :)

Treadmill -
    One day I run at 6mph, no incline:
    Next day every 5 minutes I increase the speed by 1mph per minute for 3 minutes
    Next day back to 6mph but add random inclines

Another way is sometimes I do a shorter time on the treadmill but then I add Elliptical and rowing machine to the mix. Day after I might spend more time on weights and less time on treadmill.

I don't think it matters when you do it but rather what you do. It's all about keeping your body guessing what you're going to do.

Also make sure you eat at least half your exercise calories. I tend to eat around half because it is impossible to get an accurate amount of calories burned so I play it safe.
  • Manuka
    Options
    Thanks again, that's really helpful to know. Wow!, you love treadmills, I've never really liked running especially not treadmills, but I'm really finding myself enjoying the c25k right now. I'll have to figure out some way of throwing some extra things in and mixing up my routine! I think that might be harder for me to get used to than the changes I've made so far!
  • SimonLondon
    Options
    Actually I'm so addicted to the treadmill I ordered the P90X DVD's last week because if I'm not in the gym I can't get tempted :laugh:

This is the problem with having a really nice gym in the building you live in. It's way too easy to get to hehe.
  • Manuka
    Options
    Wow! Well at least it's a good thing to be addicted to though! Hope you enjoy the P90x, heard it's good but tough! I actually quit my gym last month! Haha! Never get to it, too far away and too much stuff to do and never have the time to go. So instead I'm cycling or walking everywhere and started running and I got some weights to do at home. Also, I'm looking at picking up a class or two locally.
  • Manuka
    Options
    Wow! Well at least it's a good thing to be addicted to though! Hope you enjoy the P90x, heard it's good but tough! I actually quit my gym last month! Haha! Never get to it, too far away and too much stuff to do and never have the time to go. So instead I'm cycling or walking everywhere and started running and I got some weights to do at home. Also, I'm looking at picking up a class or two locally.
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    I too would recommend varying exercise! That's what broke mine just a few days ago. I got into the routine of doing the same exercise everyday and well I guess my body adjusted itself to that so I had to change it up! Good luck breaking the plateau!
  • Manuka
    Options
    Thanks, I will do. I think I'll get looking at some classes now and see what I can fit in! Well done on breaking your plateau!
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This is where I am at the moment so thanks for the advice! I've had a very samey week this week with working overtime so haven't been able to go to the gym - just been doing the 30 Day Shred each day when I get a spare 25 mins!

I do love to mix it up at the gym so I guess thats got to be my plan next week when I'm back to my normal working pattern! Thanks for all the advice! :) Been feeling a bit down last couple of days that I aren't shifting the fat I want gone!
    -x-x-