Replies

• TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Chantix did it for me.
  • rabt6f
    rabt6f Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I quit for my child. My mother always smoked and always said she would quit. As a teen, I started smoking and completly denied it was because my mom smoked. As an adult, I've come to realize how many habits I picked up that my mother taught me, no matter if she meant to teach them to me or not. As an adult, I have now watched my mother, stiill smoking, become more obese because she looses her breathe if she tries to exercise or walk around a lot. My mom has only smoked 3 to 5 cigs a day for the last few years, but it's still affecting her greatly and she's only 52. When I got married and we decided to have a child, I knew I had to change a lot of habits in my life. The 1st was to stop smoking, the 2nd was to add in exercise and be active while meant limiting tv, and the 3rd challenge was to eat healthier. I quit because I want to be a good role model for my children, I want them to be proud of their healthy mother. It wasn't easy, it was horrible and I always had to have something to chew on during the quitting process. I used gum, celery, chewed on straws, pen caps (ya, I know, gross), I had to keep something in my mouth at all times. Now I realize how gross smoking smells and it makes me sick to see so many people still smoking. My mother, at 52, now has to ask my 2 year old to "slow down" instead of running with her to have fun. It's sad to see my mom not being able to keep up with my daughter because of smoking for so many years. I don't want to be that person.
  • lodiloohoo64
    lodiloohoo64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My thoughts for you are hard but simple. There are several factors that are at play here. You are here to get healthier. Stress is a health robber as is smoking. While I understand that it is very hard to break this addiction, like weight loss, you have to be mentally ready. You have to just wake up one morning and say, "I don't want this in my life any more". Then, you have to be strong and make a plan. I am a nurse and have pushed pills all my life. I am a hypocrit as I hate pills and think they are for the most part, for the weak and thoughtless.

So let's say you make a plan. Let's say you decide that $4 a pack is alot and that you start counting those little white sticks and take away one from the pile each day until you are down to just a couple treats each day. All the while, let's say, you put the money saved every day into a jar.....in a remote secret place that only you know about. Then with every 10 pound loss you go to....let's say Kohls and buy something new that maks you feel attractive and smart, smart for not smoking so much.

Part of that plan has to be changes in where you hang out, who you hang out with and shifting that to something more productive then taking 15 smoke breaks every hour. Heck, you may even get promoted for your added productivity. Also just smoke those two little things in a designated place. Clean everything else. When the day comes that you no longer need that two, you will...if you have had a two pack a day habbit, be $120.00 richer at the end of the month.

See, to me, it is about wasting money and killing myself. But to you, well that may be all together different. You have to sit down, think and decide why it is important to you to quit and then make a plan. Anything you do in your day that does not end with seeing your goal met, you have to ax, and I do mean ax. You will have haters and people who will not support you because secretly they want to quit too and just don't want to make the effort to change. Ignore them and make your life count.

At the end of the day, addictions are just our way of escape, whether it is food or drugs or smokes. The only way out is to make a plan and to stick with it. It helps so much to pray and ask for divine help. I heard a sermon once. It was titled The Dog or the Dove? I like to think of that sermon as clean living or trash living. The point was this. The one you feed most, is the strongest. Feed you goals for clean and healthy living or not. The choice is yours alone as are the yeilds of each.

Bless you and hope you find the courage and the strength to change for your health and for your life.
  • Clare1479
    Options
    You should try the e-cigs i used one for about a month then just stopped havent had a cig in 29 days now and dont even notice! think they helped me off the cigs alot id deffo recommend them! there called nicolites or even 5colours GOODLUCK!
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I took myself out of my home and work environment for 9 days I stayed with a non smoking friend and went cold turkey
    it worked for me

I love this
    I have thought of this many times
    I think when my son goes away to camp this year
    I am taking off in my camper to the wilderness
    just me and my dog
    for a few days
    away from all the stressors

I'm not so sure this would work as you will be by yourself with all your own boredom and rage. Why it works when you are with the non-smokers is because you fall back on them to "keep you mind busy" without the the smoking. While I am an advocate of the Chantix, I perfectly understand it's not for everybody. But what you can pull from out of the Chantix program is all of the online tools, tips, tricks they give you which really helped me as part of the overall program. Most of that revolved around, keeping your mind busy elsewhere with non-smoking friends and acquaintances. Good Luck!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My mother's cancer came back and I promised to quit with her. I quit, she didn't.
  • rustie45
    rustie45 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I could no longer climb a flight of stairs without struggling for air, I got really scared. it was expensive, but I went on the patch and the gum at the same time. The directions said not to do this but it worked for me. I was smoking 2-3 packs of cigarettes every day and pots of coffee. Today, 15 years later I am completely smoke free and 1 cup of coffee a day. It was hard but I can climb a flight of stairs and went from not breathing to riding a bike. Good luck.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a year ago after 22 years of smoking. Here's what worked for me. You have to REALLY want to quit...do your research about addiction, the harmful effects of nicotine. My big motivation was that both my parents died from lung cancer--I loved them, and wanted to honor them. Also, I watched two very special people die, and I got mad to be honest. It was not an easy death. I hated that cigarettes contributed to it. Next, you have to believe you can stop. I used nicotine gum for 2 weeks to help me overcome the belief that I wasn't strong enough. After two weeks, I felt I could go it alone :). When stress hit, I reminded myself that cigarettes wouldn't help, tried to deal with it, and took lots of deep breaths. I also tried to be nice to myself in other ways--eating well, exercising...just relaxing when I could. Most important for me was I learned about why I was craving cigarettes--the drugs in cigarettes make you crave them...it's not real, nor is the enjoyment you receive from cigarettes real. It's you brain, which has been chemically changed by the cigarettes, craving more. The "enjoyment" is feeding the addiction. Yes, I enjoyed a lot of things associated with smoking--but I found I also enjoyed them (even a little more) without the cigarette in hand. It's really a great feeling to not be chained to a small white stick...plus you save TONS of money!!!
  • Dezmodus
    Dezmodus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had a kid (well, my wife had her, but i helped ;) ) and that was that. I gave it up the night i found out she was pregnant. I grew up in a house full of smoke and I didn't want that to be her life. I wanted to be able to run around and play with my kid. I wanted to be able to sing songs and carry her up the stairs when she fell asleep in the car and stand up to clap for her at her graduation and I couldn't see myself doing those things if i still smoked.

all that sentimentality aside, i was a raging jerkbag for about 2 months and I feel terrible about that to this day, but i haven't had a cigarette in over 4 years and I finally got rid of the weight i gained when i quit, so i'm feeling pretty good. :)

my advice, drink lots of water and go for walks. Avoid eating too much (that was the worst for me, the post-feast cig was my fave) and just keep reminding yourself that there are more important things in the world.
  • bakenatj
    Options
    Do it for your health man! Replace the bad habit with a good one. Just do it, and that is that.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I was also a smoker that actually enjoyed it. I enjoyed every single cigarette and had no intention of quitting.

Then my wife got pregnant with our first child and I decided I didnt want to be a smoking dad. I didnt want my babies to inhale my smoke and be used to seeing an adult smoking increasing the chances that they'll smoke when they're older.

I remember my last cigarette. 15th November 2010 at around 6pm in my back yard. 2 days before my son was born :)
  • rae_rae330
    rae_rae330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump