New with underactive thyroid! Any tips!?

Options
Hi. I'm 23 with an underactive thyroid (Hypothyroidism) and anyone who has the same knows how sluggish and hard it is to loose weight and stay awake for that matter! Looking for some tips on how to get a good start to shedding the pounds and also any metabolism boost's!!! :yawn:

Replies

• dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi! Not trying to be nosey but are you on medication for this? I have a friend with the same problem and had put on loads before she was diagnosed. She's been on medication for over a year and that alone seemed to help reverse her weight gain. She has now started an exercise routine and is back down to a healthy weight.
  • CarlyNoCupCakes
    Options
    Yep I'm on medication for it but a funny dose which seems's to have to be alternated every other day as advised by the GP. I'm 6ft tall aswell but i find it hard to loose weight due to needing alot of food for energy. I don't have the funds let alone time for any gym memberships etc so hard oto excercise effectively!
  • dovetail22uk
    Options
    Weirdly, my friend is 6ft tall too!

I'm sure lots of people will help you out with suggestions of good websites to try for workouts - there are hundreds of full workout videos on youtube (including 30 Day Shred) so you don't have to spend a penny or even step out of your front door!

Have you worked out your BMR and TDEE? Do you eat "clean" or lots of junk food for a quick fix of energy? There's lots of advice on here about how to eat for maximum energy which I think you'll find really useful. I'll look for some links...

Sorry I'm actually not much help - hope others will step in.... :-) but we're all here to support you every step of the way. Probably the most important thing (in my opinion) is to get your energy levels up to start with to make you feel more positive then you'll want to jump around the room exercising.

Just take one step at a time and be patient - you'll get there with the rest of us!
  • CarlyNoCupCakes
    Options
    Yep just worked out my BMR and TDEE - if you can translate that would help a great deal!!

"Your Basal Metabolic Rate is: 1929 calories.

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure Is: 2315 calories"

In all honesty I do eat clean!! I've learnt from doing Slimming world a few times to replace the likes of eating chocolate everyday with veg and meat which will fill me more!!

Thank you very much for helping, it's great having the push I need!!
  • dovetail22uk
    Options
    Very generally speaking, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :sad:

Your BMR is the energy/calories your body needs if you are doing nothing all day i.e. in a coma (nice analogy I know!)

Your TDEE is the calories you need to maintain your weight at your current weight at the activity level you have specified. To loose weight most seem to choose TDEE - 20% but that would take you below your BMR and this is not a healthy way to loose weight.

You could try TDEE - 10% (2084 calories) or TDEE - 15% (1968 calories) for a month or so and see how you get on.

What activity level have you set for your TDEE? The numbers are very close so I suspect you have set it as sedentary? If you are intending to work out during the week you will need to adjust your TDEE accordingly. With this method you don't eat your exercise calories back (with the MFP method you do).
  • CarlyNoCupCakes
    Options
    Right I think I get it now!

Okay so if my BMR says 1929 calories. Do you know why MFP set it to 1400 Calories? I was discussing this with a friend last night and we couldn't understand it!!

Yes Activity leves are Sedentary unfortuneatly, sitting in a hot office all day is probably another reason im so lethargic!!
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I suffer with hypothyroidism too, I've had it for 4 years and never got back to my healthy weight. Annoyingly I was happily within the ideal weight range before and am hovering over it now. I'm pregnant at the moment so not dieting but wondered if you could check your BMR and TDEE figures with a Doctor. Mine said I will always need to eat around 300-400 less calories than someone with a normal thyroid function despite being on medication.
  • SaltWaterTaffy78
    SaltWaterTaffy78 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi! :)

I was diagnosed with hypothyroisdism in 2004 when I was 26. I was overweight at that time and I don't think it was just the thyroid problem that caused that. I used to overeat and definitely all the wrong things.
    However, I got on medication and that helped immensely especially with my other symptoms. BUT, the trouble with the excess weight would still be there, because I simply didn't stop eating. Yes, it is a hassle for people like us with hypothyroidism to get rid of the extra weight, but it's not impossible. I've done it before and I can tell you that once you set your mind to it, you will make it.
    It will be difficult and at some points you will get stuck. You might be eating too little but the scale will still show the same number. That happens. Also, eating too little will not guarantee you loosing more weight. It will guarantee you more trouble with your diet and your health in general.
    What I suggest is you work things out with your doctor. A good endocrinologist will actually be able to give you more info on your situation and what you can actually do to help boost your metabolism.
    Personally, I started dieting and exercising 2 weeks ago and I can see results even now. For me, keeping track of what I eat and exercising on a regular basis (without overdoing it, especially at the beginning) is what helps me most.
    You have to be patient and have confidense in yourself that you can do it.

I wish you the best of luck! If you need more info or just to talk, I'm here. :)
  • Jendarling73
    Jendarling73 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey
    I have something that will help :) Inbox me
  • CarlyNoCupCakes
    Options
    Many thanks for this!!! Least I know i'm not the only one struggling!!! x
    Hi! :)

I was diagnosed with hypothyroisdism in 2004 when I was 26. I was overweight at that time and I don't think it was just the thyroid problem that caused that. I used to overeat and definitely all the wrong things.
    However, I got on medication and that helped immensely especially with my other symptoms. BUT, the trouble with the excess weight would still be there, because I simply didn't stop eating. Yes, it is a hassle for people like us with hypothyroidism to get rid of the extra weight, but it's not impossible. I've done it before and I can tell you that once you set your mind to it, you will make it.
    It will be difficult and at some points you will get stuck. You might be eating too little but the scale will still show the same number. That happens. Also, eating too little will not guarantee you loosing more weight. It will guarantee you more trouble with your diet and your health in general.
    What I suggest is you work things out with your doctor. A good endocrinologist will actually be able to give you more info on your situation and what you can actually do to help boost your metabolism.
    Personally, I started dieting and exercising 2 weeks ago and I can see results even now. For me, keeping track of what I eat and exercising on a regular basis (without overdoing it, especially at the beginning) is what helps me most.
    You have to be patient and have confidense in yourself that you can do it.

I wish you the best of luck! If you need more info or just to talk, I'm here. :)
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We are in the same exact boat! I have hypothyroidism due to being born without a thyroid all together.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I found the best medicine lately is taking my medication everyday at the same time. It has helped me dramatically than when before I started doing this. I never knew it mattered that much, but I found out it really does. Just make sure to keep up to date on blood tests so you know if you have to adjust.
  • SaltWaterTaffy78
    SaltWaterTaffy78 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for this!!! Least I know i'm not the only one struggling!!! x

Of course, you are not the only one! You'd be surprised to see how many people struggle with hypothyroidism and loosing weight at the same time. It's doable though. :)
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of respect for people that can lose fat with this type of issue. Like a ton.

Even if you don't have this problem your body is fighting fat loss tooth and nail. I can't imagine how difficult it could be for a female with abnormally low thyroid hormone.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Right I think I get it now!

Okay so if my BMR says 1929 calories. Do you know why MFP set it to 1400 Calories? I was discussing this with a friend last night and we couldn't understand it!!

Yes Activity leves are Sedentary unfortuneatly, sitting in a hot office all day is probably another reason im so lethargic!!

MFP simply takes what it believes to be the amount of calories you burn daily and subtracts however much is necessary to give you the weight loss you have chosen.

Ex. You burn 2000kcal/day. You tell MFP you want to lose 1lb/week. 1lb=3500kcal. 3500/7=500. So MFP tells you to eat 1500kcal/day.(2000-500=1500)

This isn't entirely accurate because as you well know your metabolism slows as you eat fewer calories and your body fat mass goes down.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid too, right amount on meds along with a clean diet and exercise is key for us.

Speaking of meds, if you are struggling to lose weight after doing everything right, test for Free T3 and Free T4 along with TSH. Free T3 and Free T4 should be at least in the mid range. If you endo doesn't listen to your symptoms or does not consider Free T3 and Free T4, its time to find a new one...
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Eliminate soy from your diet. Read labels. Soy messes with your thyroid and interferes with thyroid medication.

And, do make sure you take your medication on an empty stomach -- 2 hours after eating, 1 hour before eating. The middle of the night is a great time to take it.
  • lizjohnson2169
    Options
    I have graves disease and have found it very difficult. I'm on medication and have been for about a year and a half and it just seems like the weight will not budge.
  • kimleroy
    kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also struggle with thyroid problems and I wanted to let you know that there is a group here on MFP for those with hypo and hyperthyroidism. You should check it out!
  • Txwarrior
    Txwarrior Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and fibromylagia and can't tell you how many doctors have just looked at me and shrugged their shoulders when I mentioned I couldn't lose weight. However, this program is working for me for the most part. I entered in that I wanted to lose 2 lbs/week and I generally only lose 1 lb/week but as my husband just told me this morning, that is really good for my body and the issues I have. Try it out, the worst thing that can happen is that it won't work.
  • Kandlish
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism seven years ago when I was pregnant with my first child. The thing that makes the biggest difference for me is going by how I feel rather than how standard lab levels say I should feel. According to standards, anything under 3 for TSH levels is good enough. Well, it's not good enough for me. I feel crummy and have to take a nap everyday if I get that high. Luckily, my doctor works with me, and we have found that if I am below 2 I feel much more human.

If you are medicated, but still experiencing symptoms, I suggest checking back with your doctor. Your medication might not be at therapeutic levels yet.