Legs and knees hurt during/after run?

Options
I have been running continuously for about a month and a half now. I can go for about an hour pretty easily but recently my legs and knees have been killing me as soon as I start to run and its only gotten worse. I can barely do a half hour now and I really have no idea why?! I love to run and I don't want to have to stop. Please if anyone knows why this is happening and what I can do about it I would appreciate it greatly.

Replies

• RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It could be shin splints, which would need rest and ice after workouts. I have tendinitis SP? in my knee and our trainer just says to ice it after workouts. He is right, its feels good after that. Also, I play doubles with a massage therapist, and he keeps telling me that different massages will help alleviate pressure/pain in different areas. Don't know if it helped or not, but I have leg issues as well.
  • Haismais
    Haismais Posts: 26
    Options
    Icing is a great thing to do after running. Make sure you get a good stretch. It is so easy to run and then forget to stretch afterwards. Another important thing to do is take a look at your shoes. I have trouble with tendonitis and plantar fascitis. When ever I start to hurt it usually means the shoes have lost their support and it is time to invest in a new pair. I know it can be expensive but go to a good athletic store that will fit you properly is the best thing to do. They will analyze hwo you use your foot during your exercise and will fit you with the proper shoe. As I said it can be expensive but have a properly fit shoe could mean less down time due to injuries and save on medical costs. Good Luck and I hope this helps.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    how and where do your legs hurt? shins? are your legs heavy (feeling)?
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    If you don't have a good pair of running shoes it can make a huge difference - I also wear compression shorts - they help to prevent muscle strain and fatigue.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Your body may just need rest. Give it a break and maybe change your running routine. I went through the same thing, but I was only running about 40 minutes. I'm currently giving my body a break until the soreness goes away, the will start running about 4 times a week, with a day off before and after my long runs on Saturdays or Sundays.

Good Luck