Smoking

Options
Has anyone successfully quit smoking recently? (like 6-12 months ago)
If so what did it for you? Had you tried multiple times? Do you live with or regularly visit a smoker?

I've been trying off and on for years... Nothing seems to be sticking. I'm going to keep trying, but I'm just curious what gives people the strength to do that final push away from cigarettes!

~Josie

Replies

• Mamax143
    Options
    I will be interested to see the responses to this, I am a smoker, have tried on and off to quit but nothing has worked. I tried patches, gum, and last year tried cold turkey and made it 6 days before having an emotional break down and giving in to the evil demons. I am disgusted, I hate it but I can't kick it? My fiance smokes but has said when I quit he will stop as well. I have heard that when its your time, its your time and you just stop. From family I have heard that cold turkey is the best way to go and never look back. But I can still get in a good workout without huffing and puffing so at least I am doing something right One step at a time and everything will be fine~thats my motto! Best wishes to you.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I didnt recently quit. Been 6 years.

But I did find this site really helpful when I did... www.quitnet.com
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I still smoke and it's been a few years since my last real quitting attempt. But my Mom quit recently and swears by the Allen Carr book...I believe it's called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" or something along those lines. She also uses quitnet and loves it, has made some friends there as well.
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have quit several times. Twice for 7 - 8 years. I start again don't know why. I quit again a year and a half ago using the electronic cigarette. I'm not using that now either. The other couple of times I quit with a smoking cessation program once, and cold turkey a couple of other. I find that being a smoker is like being an alcoholic, if you quit and then have one cigarette, you are a smoker again. I can't be a casual smoker any more than an alcoholic can be a casual drinker. I either smoke or I don't. Right now, I don't.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Try changing your habits. For example if the first thing you do in the morning after you wake up is light a cigarette then instead of doing that jump in the shower or go for a walk. If you have a smoke mid-day on your break at work walk around the building or something. Just do something different. I worked with a gal who paid someone to help her and her husband quit smoking and it was all about changing her habits. One thing they had to do -- which you might want to try -- is find a 6x6 spot outside to smoke and that was the ONLY place they were allowed to smoke regardless of the weather. After a while it just wasn't worth it for her to go out in the freezing cold/rain/what have you to smoke that stick.

And if none of that works then think about the money you're blowing by buying the cigarettes. Take however much money you spend a week on cigarettes and toss it in a jar. You'll be shocked to see how much you're wasting on those things.

Honestly I think smoking is 90% habit 10% addiction and yes, I am a former smoker. I quit cold turkey seventeen years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Has anyone successfully quit smoking recently? (like 6-12 months ago)
    If so what did it for you? Had you tried multiple times? Do you live with or regularly visit a smoker?

I've been trying off and on for years... Nothing seems to be sticking. I'm going to keep trying, but I'm just curious what gives people the strength to do that final push away from cigarettes!

~Josie

No idea why I even decided to stop so suddenly....went on holiday, smoked loooooaaaads whilst there, came home and haven't smoked a cigarette since...that was over 15 years ago!
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I quit in August 2011. At the time I lived with two heavy smokers.

I think some people fail because they aren't ready to quit. Deciding to quit, and then committing to that decision, is really tough.

I cut back for a few weeks and then went cold turkey. I used the time when I was cutting back to figure out my triggers and try to break those habits. For example, I would always light up pretty much as soon as I got in the car. But while I was cutting back, I made myself wait 5 minutes one time...then 10 minutes. Same thing with after meals, another trigger for me.

ETA: I also kept track of the money I was saving by not smoking, which was a fun way to stay motivated.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Also have you considered those electric cigarettes?
  • vpsorrels
    vpsorrels Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's been several years for me but when my son was little he had asthma ( I did not smoke while pregnant); I made the decision to not smoke inside my house or vehicles. It was some really cold, wet smoke breaks that finally got to me before I discovered it just wasnt worth being out in the cold wet air for. That and they were getting expensive even then. :) Good Luck to ya........
  • LindaLeeL
    Options
    Hi... Josie. I am much older than you and smoked for over 40 years. I tried many times over the years and now can say I have been a non-smoker for over a year. I gained over 40 lbs that I want to lose... You need good support from family and friends but mostly find your motivation to be and stay healthy one day at a time... :()
  • lesleyworth
    lesleyworth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I quit October 7, 2012, so not quite in your 6-12 month window, but here goes: I quit with my "smoking buddy". We both had decided it was time, and quit within a week of each other. I completely avoided the smoking areas around work just to avoid temptation. It was a few weeks before I could be around people that smoke, but thankfully I was the only smoker at my house (didn't smoke inside, so that helped). It's been a fairly smooth go of it, but I credit that a lot with I just plain wanted to quit. A few recommendations for those quitting...if you smoke in your vehicle, clean it out, shampoo the upholstery, the lining, the floor mats, clean it all out! It will help reduce the temptation if you don't have the smell right there every day. Drink lots of water (it'll also help you get your 8 glasses a day!!), be cautious of compensating for the lack of nicotine with caffeine, you'll just end up feeling worse; and the most important thing that helped me...changed my routine. I went to work every day, and my buddy and I would get our cup of coffee, then head out to smoke and chat to start the day. We still have a morning cup of coffee and chat, but now it's in a different location, with others involved, and more of a social event than the smoking was. Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 years ago using an electronic cigarette. Google "Volcano ecig". That is a good brand with high quality products and excellent customer service.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    I didnt recently quit. Been 6 years.

But I did find this site really helpful when I did... www.quitnet.com

This. I quit 12 years ago and this website helped. I'm surprised it's still around, but I guess I'm not that surprised since it's such a great tool. Something else that worked for me was, when I got a craving for a cigarette, I would think about the people that I knew who were having health problems caused by many years of smoking. I would tell myself that if I didn't quit now, that was my future.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I quit January 16th of 2012. Let me tell you my story.

I smoked for 33 years. I loved smoking, even though it made me susceptible to every bout of the cold that came around. Back in September of 2011, I had a really bad round that had me on atomizers, meds, the whole shebang. In November I had a chest x-ray which my doc did annually BECAUSE I smoked. That last bout really did me in as I had some scar tissue on my lungs.

I started losing my wind just singing. There were some nights where I would suddenly not be able to breathe, and it was scary. I went on Chantix.

Do yourself a favor. Quit cold turkey because quitting cold turkey, you have the irritablility and restlessness. On Chantix, you have the irritability, the restlessness AND vivid dreams. That was the only thing about the meds that I liked. I got to talk to long dead relatives...LOL

Not only that, the Chantix made me LOOPY. OMG. It was a wonder I still had a job after four weeks. Naturally, I had to come off the stuff, but you know, it was ok because to keep my hands busy in the beginning, I was already using cinnamon sticks. At first, I chewed so many of them that it burnt my tongue, but I got over it pretty quickly. I had a bottle in the car, a bottle at home, a bottle at the office and a bottle at my Moms so I always had cinnamon sticks. The first three months, I supported the Sauers spice company. :laugh:

My kids were thrilled I quit. Every day is a challenge, but each day the challenge is a little easier to overcome. Do I still want one? Sure, I'd like to be able to step outside and fire one up, but will I? Nope. I think about how far I've come to just throw it all away.

I hope this helps. :smile:
  • jg6511
    jg6511 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on November 13, 2012. Here how it went:

I lost my job in September. Terminated due to new management (I'm 56). Being home all day I smoked more, 2 packs a day rather than 1 1/2. I'm single (since 1988) so the cigarette money came right off the top of my unemployment check. I have a mortgage, car payment, insurances, power bill, Internet, water, tv, etc, just like everyone, and the cigs money really started bugging me. How could i possibly justify it?

I'm a Christian and told god I know I shouldn't be smoking, especially now that I certainly can't afford it, but you, god, know I can't quit tho I want to with all my heart. For the past year the smoking has been really bugging me...the health, the wasted money, the smell, everything about it was getting to me. And I prayed and prayed for god to help me with it.

Well, it happened. He did help. In fact, I can't even explain it except that I received my very own personal miracle. The addiction simply vanished. I know it's hard to believe and I couldn't believe it myself. In fact, that day, November 13, I tried smoking 4 times and simply couldn't. I could not smoke. I've been smoke free since. No withdrawals. No cravings. The habit was gone.

This won't help anyone that doesn't have a personal relationship with their god, but for those that do, storm the gates. Use me as a precedent.

I did gain weight from this. I do not know exactly how much from the cigs cessation since I am dealing with a thyroid issue also and the meds have messed up my system terribly. But expect to gain 10 to 20 lbs if you're a heavy smoker. I wouldn't let the weight gain deter you, tho. My general health is SO much better. One immediate result was that I had headaches daily. I mean every single day. They are gone. Could only be the cigs and I'm now getting oxygen to the brain. Also, cough is gone. None of the hacking and spitting. I can breathe! I now walk/run between 2.5 to 4 miles daily and my lungs feel great. My taste buds are coming back and so is my sense of smell. I generally look healthier, my skin, my hair, my eyes.

I am SO happy to be smoke free.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This won't help anyone that doesn't have a personal relationship with their god, but for those that do, storm the gates. Use me as a precedent.

jg6511 THANK you SO much for sharing this. I have been praying for the willingness to give up smoking. I hate the effects but feel so addicted that the thought of quitting gives me panic attacks. I am going to keep praying to the Lord to free me from this. I'm so happy He did this for you and that you shared your story. God bless and thank you.
  • motogsp
    motogsp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I quite about 6 months ago and haven't gone back. I tried many times and this last time has been for good. I used nicotine gum and worked like a charm. Whenever I had a craving I would just chew on a piece and the urge would go away. I have tried different methods but the gum seem to be the best for me. I live with a smoker which I am trying to change that but you have to want to quite as well. I was all done with smoking which I think helps as well.

Good luck!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    A month ago I switched to electronic "cigarettes" after getting the flu. I couldn't stand the taste of cigarettes anymore after that illness. Believe me, I was dumb enough to TRY smoking again but had to put the thing out after a couple drags cause it was so nasty.

Been a smoker on and off since age 18 (I'm 45). I know how hard it is to quit. And pick it up again. And quit. And pick it up again. And so forth. And etc.

There are a lot of step-down methods available, so my personal suggestion would be to find the one you think will work for you and give it a shot. Bottom line is you have to WANT to do it and make that commitment.

You have to have support too, so don't be afraid to ask friends and family instead of struggling on your own. We got introduced to cigarettes by SOMEBODY, right? I mean, tobacco manufacturers are people, and store clerks who stock cigarettes, and maybe your friends who gave you your first cigarette as a teenager, and your current friends who are smokers and light up with you, and etc., right? If our relationships can contribute to unhealthy habits, then it stands to reason that our relationships can also be drawn from to contribute to healthy habits.

My doc offered Chantix but I'm not a pill popper (the pills I take are all supplements and natural ingredients) and the side effects scared me away.

I had to address the underlying issue of course which for me happened to be a stress response that I'd fill with eating if I didn't have a cigarette. So figure out your triggers and address them, because if those don't get resolved, you'll quit and just start back up again. I had to call myself what I was (a gluttonous overeater) and deal with that also and get honest with myself and with God. I'm a believer and praying helped, but as God goes, He requires complete honesty. I was waiting for some magic "switch" within myself to come on (never happened). I finally just had to make the decision to quit being a glutton, and as a result found the grace supplied to deal with it. Then came the smoking a few weeks later, and so far, so good.

I'm not trying to proseletyze or anything; just being honest here about my personal experience. I don't know your background or belief system, but hopefully some of what I said was helpful to you.

Do I still think about smoking? Ayep. Every day, just about. But it's getting less. And the e-cigs are working for me. So far. I use 10 mg nicotine and that helps with the cravings, minus the tar and bad smell and bad taste and coughing and sinus troubles. It also helps me with the oral gratification (for some reason that was/is a big thing for me ... may not be for you though).

One step at a time, one day at a time. Good luck!
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I quit on December 9, 2011. I used Chantix for about a month and a half. I didn't have any of the bad side effects that can go with it. I had smoked on and off for 30 years. It's the best thing that ever happened to me.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your stories and tips!! I have an e-cigarette and I quit with it for over 2 months, but gave into the craving again and have been having a hard time getting my determination built up again. I'm 25 years old, I think I smoked my first cigarette around age 8(not a regular thing) with an older sister. I started smoking at least one a day around 14 and before I was 18 I had my own regular supply. I'm in the process of building up my resolve and hearing(reading) other peoples tips/stories really does help me. It helps not only to know that others have done it after having the habit for longer, but also I know that I can do it because I have done it before! I haven't smoked in my house since I had my daughter and I didn't smoke for about a year surrounding my pregnancy with her. I think the longest I've made it other than for her was ~3months...
    Thanks again for the replies and to those who have quit a while back, GREAT JOB! I think quitting smoking is one of the BIGGEST NSV that I could possible achieve(fit related anyways) and to those who recently quit, you've done a great thing for yourself, and I'll be joining those ranks again soon! Next Thursday I'm going to put out the last cigarette at night and not light back up!(friday-monday are fairly low stress for me and commitment free so I can get some time to myself and escape if needed) Good luck everyone and if anyone wants to add me feel free, especially anyone who recently quit or wants to quit!