Overwhelming Salt Cravings?

Options
I have been closely watching my food (even though my diary does not reflect that as a few months ago after a bout of high blood pressure caused by some hormones I was put on bp medicine. All has been going well and doc thinks soon I can come off that.

But now--suddenly over the last couple weeks--I am craving salt/sour stuff so bad! I literally find myself wanting to drink the pickle juice or the banana pepper juice after consuming large quantities of them. I ate some banana peppers last night and it was like I could not stop..like my mind took over and was telling me I HAD to eat more or drink the juice or something! No I am not pregnant. I have just never felt this way-I had never understood people talking about not being able to stop eating a food..now I do..it just overwhelms me.

Has anyone ever had this kind of craving? Do you think it could be related to the bp meds? I know that has a diuretic part in it..maybe too much for me?

Replies

• kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    My dad had the same issue when his doctor put him on bp medicine nov of 2011. He went on the Eat to Live diet, lost like 25lbs, and came off the bp medicine :)

His doctor said it was due in part to the diuretic...although some of it was attributed to the fact he wasn't drinking enough water daily tokeep his body hydrated. Once he started drinking 64oz a day, the non stop salt cravings stopped...for the most part.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Been there. I'm also on a BP med with a diuretic, so that might be it.

I satisfy my cravings by eating lemon slices with a little salt sprinkled on them.
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ahh that's a good point..I did not drink as much water yesterday as normal and did an hour of zumba..I bet there is a connection there! Thanks for the feedback-I will increase my water and see if that helps..
  • coburngirl
    coburngirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Eat to live is great and so is the DASH diet. I have the same problems from my BP meds because they are a diuretic and is basically dehydrating us :( Drinking a glass of OJ with the pill or eating a banana soon after taking it helps a lot!
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    I do crave salt a LOT, and really had to start watching my sodium intake. I found what helps me is: drinking lots of water, and I eat the low-sodium progresso soups (chicken noodle is my fave) and I add a lot of ground black pepper. Sounds weird, but it works! Good luck :)
  • coburngirl
    Options
    Eat to live is great and so is the DASH diet. I have the same problems from my BP meds because they are a diuretic and is basically dehydrating us :( Drinking a glass of OJ with the pill or eating a banana soon after taking it helps a lot!
    I should have said...by increasing your potassium it helps fight the salt attack LOL
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I do crave salt a LOT, and really had to start watching my sodium intake. I found what helps me is: drinking lots of water, and I eat the low-sodium progresso soups (chicken noodle is my fave) and I add a lot of ground black pepper. Sounds weird, but it works! Good luck :)

Couple tablespoons of hot sauce in soup does the trick nicely as well.
  • Goldie2u2
    Options
    That may be the issue too the potassium..I remember when my grandma took dietetics they gave her potassium too..I will start adding in the oj or a banana..all great suggestions! I just have never had this kinda of feeling before..I now can sympathize with those ladies with strange food addictions!!!
  • coburngirl
    Options
    That may be the issue too the potassium..I remember when my grandma took dietetics they gave her potassium too..I will start adding in the oj or a banana..all great suggestions! I just have never had this kinda of feeling before..I now can sympathize with those ladies with strange food addictions!!!
    They used to give me the potassium pills too and never had the problem. Told my dr a few weeks ago all i wanted was chips, salty popcorn anything. Was afraid I would have to get a salt lick :bigsmile: She said "just eat a banana." Problem solved, although not nearly as fun as the chips:wink:
  • Goldie2u2
    Options
    LOL I agree with the chips! I have been grateful my craving has been pickles and LOTS of banana peppers! High sodium but low calorie LOL!
  • coburngirl
    Options
    LOL I agree with the chips! I have been grateful my craving has been pickles and LOTS of banana peppers! High sodium but low calorie LOL!
    LOL 2 of my favorite foods!
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Usually, if your body is craving something it is trying to tell you it "needs" that thing (not always the case as I often crave chocolate cake and clearly do not need it). How long has it been since you've had your blood drawn to check your sodium and potassium? If it's been more than 6 months might be worth calling in to your doctor's nurse and just asking about it. Not trying to sound scary or anything, just something to keep in mind. If you resume your normal water intake and the cravings still don't go away after a day or two, might be a good idea to call the doctor's office.
  • AprilThirty
    Options
    Goldie, I had to laugh when I read your post. I too have craved salt like you, and embarassingly admit to drinking pickle juice. I've always had those cravings, but years ago when I took water pills (to lose weight, not the healthy kind :( it seemed to get worse. My holistic doctor believes I'm prediabetic, and so I am working on eating to lose weight and to maintain healthy sugar levels,
    Drinking water and OJ both seem to help. But honestly I still crave that crazy pickle juice sometimes. :embarassed:
    Hoping you get your cravings under control. They can be crazy!