so how often should i weigh myself ?

Options
not sure how often to weigh myself some clubs say every week or should i do it every 2 weeks don't want to do it every week then get dissapointed if i haven't lost much what is the most popular time span?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself maybe every other day. I think it's better than doing it once a week, because if you weigh yourself at an unlucky time during the week (after you've eaten a lot of salt or haven't gone number 2 for awhile), you're likely to be disappointed and discouraged.
  • loudgls89
    loudgls89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week at the same time (every Saturday morning). If you weigh yourself more often, you'll notice the little ups and downs that happen naturally during the week, if you weigh once a week, you'll most likely notice a steady drop (and not get too disheartened if you go up a pound one day to lose it again the next).

Keep in mind that weight is not everything. I'd take measurements and pictures as well, as these are more likely to show your progress than the number on the scale.
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There are many schools of thought.

Personally, I have a bathroom scale and weigh myself nearly every day. I don't officially log my weight every day (typically I log about once a week), but weighing every day gives me a better sense of my daily random fluctuations. I also try to measure myself every couple weeks, since it's definitely possible to lose inches without losing pounds.

However, like I said, there are lots of opinions on the matter, each with some valid arguments.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    As often as you want to......this is an age-old question, and you won't get a definitive answer.

I weigh daily as that is what keeps ME accountable.

This is totally a personal preference.

Kaye
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ^^agree. i know some peeps who weigh daily, only log once a week (set day), but they also track thier dailies in a spreadsheet.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily just to keep tabs on things- but starting this year I am just doing one official weigh in per month where I will also take measurements and progress pictures.
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ive been weighing myself every Monday morning but I just decided to start weighing myself once every 2 weeks and take measurements once a month
  • ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it's something that you should just do whenever you want to, whether it's every day or every week. I try and weigh myself at the same time every time I weigh though (usually before I hop in the shower before I've had anything to eat). Your weight fluctuates a lot throughout the day!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do you know what the scale number represents? If so, then it probably doesn't matter. If not (or if you do but haven't fully accepted it), then I'd say once a week... same day of the week, same time of day, same clothes.
  • ithinkican13
    Options
    i way once a week the same day early in the morning is best before u eat breakfast but u could do it the same way every two if u rather
  • NanaK57
    NanaK57 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As often as you want to......this is an age-old question, and you won't get a definitive answer.

I weigh daily as that is what keeps ME accountable.

This is totally a personal preference.

Kaye

I like to weigh daily too that way if I gain then I can look back to see what I did or didn't do to find the best combo of food and exercise for me.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Sunday morning as soon as I get out of bed. Same time of the same day every week,will show true progress and a real idea of whats going on. I dont think you should weigh yourself later in the day because your weight can fluctuate. The important thing is that the number on the scale keeps going down. Sometimes I am tempted to get on daily,but you might get discourgaed if you get on 3 days in a row,and it's not moving,so for me, once a week is fine
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    when ever you want to, there is no rule on this.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My official weigh-in is every Friday at my TOPS club meeting. I usually weigh at home on Monday or Tuesday just to see what is going on.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I like to weigh daily too that way if I gain then I can look back to see what I did or didn't do to find the best combo of food and exercise for me.
    [/quote]

I like to way daily for the same reasons, and because it keeps me accountable and reminds me of what I am going for. I log it every day too, but try to remind myself to compare weekly weights.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates up and down quite a bit. For example, you may "gain" 2 pounds overnight, even on a day when you ate and exercised well, or loose 3 pounds overnight after a 7000 calorie cookie binge. Neither one accurately reflects the trends in your weight, nor gives particularly helpful feedback on your lifestyle.

People take a couple of different takes on that. First off, it's best to weigh yourself consistently - same time, day, etc., wearing the same thing. My clothes, shoes and pocket contents, for example, can vary by a couple of pounds easily. So you don't want that uncertainty in there. I like first thing in the morning, before breakfast, but after letting the dogs out. But that's just more.

Second comes the frequency discussion. You want to be able to track the overall trend, and not be thrown off by the variations. Many folks track their weight once a week, every-other-week, or once a month to accomplish this. The thought would be that you won't be distracted, falsely discouraged, or falsely encouraged by the daily fluctuations.

I disagree with that plan, though. Because you can easily have a couple of pounds of "noise," what happens if you're 2 pounds lighter than the trend at the appointed recording day one week, then 2 pounds heavier than the trend the next? You may have lost 1 "real" pound, but think you've gained 3, decide you're gaining instead of loosing, and either erroneously adjust your diet and exercise into too much of a deficit, or get discouraged and give up.

Instead, I record my weight every day, but I don't really care about the daily number. I recognize it as merely a data point, and perhaps an outlier at that. What I record and track is the 7 day average of weight, body fat %, skeletal muscle %, and visceral fat (I have a fancy scale...) each Monday, for the previous Monday-Sunday (so the weight on the day I track is not part of that week's data). This smooths out the trend line nicely, and gives more useful and reliable feedback on what's actually happening, because the uncertainty in the data is mitigated.
  • darcyinmo
    darcyinmo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Since I started this I've weighed on a scale at work, so I keep my "official" weights on it. Saying that I vary on the days I weight, usually every 10 days or so, because I may not be there on that specific day that week. My official measurements I plan on doing once a month. But that's just me. I really don't think it really matters one way or the other, whatever you feel like doing. This is YOUR JOURNEY! Do it your way!:flowerforyou:
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    I know it's awful, but I weight myself multiple times a day! It's just out of curiosity and I don't take the numbers I see too seriously (like giving up because of not seeing an immediate change, etc) so I don't see the harm. It's totally my personality. It's funny to see the number go up and down by 8lbs in the very same day! :P
  • retheim
    Options
    thanks i think i will do the once a week and i never thought of measuring myself so i will do that it might be more encouraging if i can see my waist go down (not that i have one)