Larabars

Options
2»

Replies

• brittainreallife
    brittainreallife Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started eating these on the suggestion of a trainer at my ski club. They are delicious - I bought a box of 16 at the local drug store (Apple flavored) for about $32. I also tried a chocolate flavor but I like the apple one better.

My virtual nutritionist/trainer told me not to have them 2 days in a row though so I alternate them on days with a protein shake. I really like them and I don't mind the price. My husband and I used to eat Kachi bars or Nutrigrain bars and I don't think they were very good for us.

The only thing I'm skeptical of is that maybe I should be eating a protein bar instead. There is really not much protein in them.
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Covered Katie has recipes listed to make your own... http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/fudge-baby-mania/

I like making them as the 'fudge babies' and then they're bite sized and a much lower calorie quick snack. I keep them in the freezer!

I've never actually had a real Lara Bar so no idea how they compare ~ but these are pretty darn good IMHO!
  • ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I bought a few and then, in reaction to their price.. decided to make my own. They're delicious!
    I have had a lot of success with the recipes on this site:

http://rawified.blogspot.com/2012/05/raw-larabars.html

But there are lots of recipes out there. I recommend it.. saves mon-ay and you can customize to your liking.

I'm going to have to try these! I bought Larabars on sale yesterday, but it sounds like they're not always on the cheap side. thanks for posting this link!
  • MadCountyMama
    MadCountyMama Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I bought the pack at Costco and I love them! The 3 pack has Cherry pie, apple pie and peanut butter. My favorite is the cherry.
    I have yet to try any other flavors b/c they are expensive.
    But I keep these in my car, if I'm on the go and don't want to stop at a fast food place or grab a snack in the checkout line, I know I have a healthy snack that will fill me up till my next meal.
    They also help if I have a craving for a candy bar or other sweets. Usually I go for a piece of fruit but sometimes it's more than just flavor, it's the chewy texture that helps curb that craving!
    Target has them individually for sale, that's where I plan to try other flavors and then I'll probably buy in bulk from Amazon - love my Prime!!! :)
  • ajsquale
    Options
    I just started eating these on the suggestion of a trainer at my ski club. They are delicious - I bought a box of 16 at the local drug store (Apple flavored) for about $32. I also tried a chocolate flavor but I like the apple one better.

My virtual nutritionist/trainer told me not to have them 2 days in a row though so I alternate them on days with a protein shake. I really like them and I don't mind the price. My husband and I used to eat Kachi bars or Nutrigrain bars and I don't think they were very good for us.

The only thing I'm skeptical of is that maybe I should be eating a protein bar instead. There is really not much protein in them.

There may not be much protein in them, but I just love the fact that they're made from real food!
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I bought a few and then, in reaction to their price.. decided to make my own. They're delicious!

But there are lots of recipes out there. I recommend it.. saves mon-ay and you can customize to your liking.

Thank you for this!!!!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I need to try that one. I just finished a cashew cookie bar. It has 6g of protein. My favorite is the pineapple upside-down cake, too bad it is seasonal.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Thank you for this!!!!

Yup! I've made a few batches so far in my food processor. It's very easy. I started at first with medjool dates but they were too expensive in the long run so I ended up using prunes as a binder. The first time around I did one kind of nut (ie, only cashews, dates, plus something else) but this time I did a nut mixture (almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc) and had equally yummy results.

My favorite flavor so far has been lemon/cranberry.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I love them, they are so delicious, but I make my own. So easy to make and a lot cheaper too!
  • sjklaus
    sjklaus Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Love them they are such a yummy treat! Apple Pie and Cherry Pie are my favorite! I've even made my own versions from recipes found online.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I had a blueberry muffin bar a few days ago. I agree, the ingredients list is pretty amazing, but they ARE super high in sugar, thanks to the dates. Makes them the equivalent of treats in my book. They are delicious and soft, very tasty. But basically a very healthy dessert.
  • ajsquale
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding. :)
  • raspberryblonde
    Options
    I heart them so much, especially because I'm having a lot of dental work done, which means an unpredictable appetite as well as not being able to chew very well. Most of them (at least the ones without whole nuts) are pretty soft, and they're calorie-dense, so I get more nutritional bang for my buck.