Protein

Options
Is it unsafe to exceed my needed amount of protein if I'm staying within my calorie intake and I'm working out daily?

Replies

• bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that excess protein gets passed out of your body in your urine. And congrats on exceeding protein...that's a tough one for me.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Lol no, too much protein isn't unsafe at all. Don't worry about it unless you have a medical condition that is exasperated by high levels of protein.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you need to exceed the protein goal on here in order to build muscle. -- think of the number on here as a minimum.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Is it unsafe to exceed my needed amount of protein if I'm staying within my calorie intake and I'm working out daily?

It's perfectly safe to go over, MFP sets this low so, you should take a little time out of your day and learn about macro-nutrients
  • Lilyyy7
    Lilyyy7 Posts: 41
    Options
    Nope! Protein is SUPER good for you. You need protein for your muscles. Having muscles optimizes your cardio. Which results in weight loss.

I tried to eat lots of protein one week, a while ago, on a week that I didn't go to the gym to much.... I felt super full all the time, and gained a couple of pounds. That scared me so I stopped.

Lately though, I have been eating a lot of protein rich foods (chicken, tilapia, milk, cottage cheese etc.) but I've been making sure that I do strength training AND cardio, and I've been losing so much weight.

I would suggest if you are eating tons of protein, to pair it up with tons of fiber. Good luck! :)

Xo
  • hurricanecarina
    Options
    I agree, protein is great and more is better. This is a "guide" based on calorie intake and the weight you want to lose. It is one of the very important nutrients needed to gain muscle. Muscle burns fat :)
  • hurricanecarina
    Options
    Well said!! I can only agree with that, it has proven beneficial for me also :)
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Protein is very good for you and MFP set the limits very low, but if your diet is made up of mainly protein you will have a problem.
  • haroldz123
    haroldz123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    U r working out so more protein is need for recovery
  • Wowat50
    Wowat50 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do workout daily, I drink a protein water after my workout for recovery. I sub one meal with a GNC Lean Shake and that alone has 25 grams but only 170 calories. I'm eating raw fruits and veggies, so I think I'm getting enough fiber.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    It shouldn't be dangerous at all. And good for you! It's so hard for me to hit my protein goals....getting so sick of fish, fish, chicken, and fish! :P
  • Wowat50
    Wowat50 Posts: 16
    Options
    I think the Lean Shake is what gives me the most and puts me over. It has 25 grams of protein. I use Smart Balance nonfat milk with omega 3s, it has a little more protein than regular milk (more calcium too) and for a snack I dip celery sticks in natural peanut butter. And when you add whatever meat I eat for dinner, it puts me over the top. My husband doesn't like home cooked fish all that well unless it's battered and deep fried, so I only cook it no more than once a week. Could use some new ways to prepare chicken and ground turkey!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's not an issue to go over your protein goal that MFP has set. They set their goal far too low for most people anyways.