How often do you change your goals?

Options
Just wondering how often I should lower my daily calorie requirements?
Every 10 lbs? 20 lbs?
I would assume you should re-enter your weight when losing so aren't eating too many calories?
What does everyone do?
Right now I am eating 1800 cals a day, lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks and now starting week #3. Should
I keep eating my 1800 cals until I don't lose on a weekly basis?

Replies

• Waffle_Taco
    Waffle_Taco Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have read that it is every 5 lbs.
  • cjowell
    cjowell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 16 pounds but my plan was to lower or adjust when I stopped losing or when I wasn't seeing good enough results.
  • JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, I went to change my goals just to see if it would change after 9lbs lost & it did, I now have to eat less according to MFP.
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how often I should lower my daily calorie requirements?
    Every 10 lbs? 20 lbs?
    I would assume you should re-enter your weight when losing so aren't eating too many calories?
    What does everyone do?
    Right now I am eating 1800 cals a day, lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks and now starting week #3. Should
    I keep eating my 1800 cals until I don't lose on a weekly basis?

I think MFP recommends you change it every 10 pounds.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I do it once a month. If MFP sets your calories for you, it will do it automatically as you enter your weight losses.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Every 5lbs is a good time to re-evaluate.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I did mine every 20lbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    most calorie counters recommend every 5-10 Lbs...yes, it goes down as you lose.
  • lynnymcc
    Options
    Okay..thanks
    What was interesting was on week 2, I wasn't feeling great so just ate my cals, didn't exercise (actually exercised once), and lost 3 lbs!
    Then following week, I worked out 5 times in the week, ate well, and lost 1.5 lbs. Don't get me wrong...happy with both numbers, but wonder if I am eating too many cals?
    I am curious to see what next weeks weigh-in is and then will re-evaluate the sitch!
    Thanks for everyone's info!
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    As long as you are losing I don't see any reason to mess with it. I would only make changes as needed. I have heard it is best to keep your intake as high as possible.
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Okay..thanks
    What was interesting was on week 2, I wasn't feeling great so just ate my cals, didn't exercise (actually exercised once), and lost 3 lbs!
    Then following week, I worked out 5 times in the week, ate well, and lost 1.5 lbs. Don't get me wrong...happy with both numbers, but wonder if I am eating too many cals?
    I am curious to see what next weeks weigh-in is and then will re-evaluate the sitch!
    Thanks for everyone's info!

Wouldn't that mean you aren't eating enough cals if your weight loss slows when you exercise? Otherwise it could be muscle gain.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lynnymcc
    Options
    You could be right misslibbyh...as I really didn't eat any cals burned last week.
    I am also ovulating (sorry TMI) and I always retain fluid when i do...so that could be it too.
    I could try eating SOME burned cals back.
    I will leave my daily cals alone for awhile until I consistently stop losing.
    Thanks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Also OP, it is not unusual to have bigger weight loss early on...happens to a lot of people. It then normalizes. 1-1.5 Lbs per week is generally considered healthy weight loss. More than that and you're losing a lot of lean body mass along with the fat burns and nobody wants to lose lean body mass.

It won't be linear either...mine fluctuates all of the time but when I average it out over these last 3 months or so, it comes out to about 1.25 Lbs per week...but it's not always a pound or whatever...a couple of weeks ago I went down .8 pounds...then the following week was 1.6 Lbs...etc. It's not linear....I've also had weeks where i've lost nothing or maybe just a couple points and then I'll drop a couple pounds the next week.
  • lynnymcc
    Options
    Definitly! I completely understand and expect it to fluctuate.
    Just didn't know what the general "rule" is to changing your daily caloric requirements.
    If I can keep mine at 1800 or so, I will for as long as I can!
    I am also breastfeeding still so I have no intention of reducing my cals soon!
  • unknownsample
    Options
    From the FAQ
    I've lost some weight. Will MyFitnessPal automatically adjust my goals for me based on my new weight?

A. Every time you record your weight in our system, MyFitnessPal checks to see if you've lost 10 pounds since the last time your goals were calculated. If so, we'll ask you if you'd like to reset your goals based on your new weight.

Seems reasonable.