question...

Options
i'm new to this site still, so I was just wondering why some opt to have their food diarys hidden? I like to compare lists to see if their is anything I could change on my diet. this helps because it can give us ideas...hmm Just wondering!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of reasons...

For me, I'd rather not hear the input (especially negative) that comes from others checking my diary. You may think clean eating, low fat, low cab, no dairy, etc are the way to go but I'm an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) kind of person. If I want pizza, chocolate, diet soda I'm going to have it and I don't care what others think and don't want to subject myself to the negative input. It's a tool for me to use and what I eat isn't anyone elses business in my opinion.

My diary is open to my friends but I still don't hit the "complete" button at the end of the day so it doesn't show up on my friends' feed for them to notice and go take a look.
  • dmlove128
    dmlove128 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh I see what you mean. Well first no one should judge or have anything negative to say because we are all here to help & support each other. I like to compare notes and food ideas especially snacks etc..I think its a great way to switch things up and get ideas. But not everyone is the same- some may think its a joke and want to be rude to others. Honestly they shouldn't have a MFP if that's the case.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I suppose each person is different. Some could be "hiding" something and some could just not want to share that much information. We are all different. I do find that I "stalk" people's diaries because I am curious how people that have had tremendous success do it. When I find someone that has it blocked, I figure that they have their resons and I move on.

And as you'll notice, people on these forums have a lot of opinions and many are very free with their comments.
  • nf1982
    nf1982 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would say probably fear of judgement.
  • robertm79
    Options
    Mine was at first...the settings defaulted to that and as a first timer i wasn't aware of it till someone mentioned it...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    mine is closed,, some people like to do some serious bashing.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It's just a personal choice. Mine is set to friends only. I don't feel the whole world needs to know what I eat on a daily basis.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and I've never had a negative reaction to what I eat *shrug* I don't go on the boards that much though (I find them negative and frustrating)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Eh, it's not really anyone's business but my own, unless I actually have a question about something. Mine is open to friends, so they can look if they like, but I don't allow it to post to my newsfeed when I complete it for the day. I don't generally look at anyone else's diary, either, unless they mention a particular recipe they made or something, or they ask people to look.

I think it's just personal preference. Plus, by default the website sets your diary to hidden, so some may not have figured that out yet *shrug*
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    MIne'a closed and I don't have any friends on here either. I like going about my weightloss alone.
  • badmoon81
    Options
    I keep my food diary public because it keeps me from making bad decisions!! I don't want to think about being judged over a Popeye's Chicken binge, and since I am dedicated to posting everything I put in my pie-hole (pie of vegetables, of course), it helps keep me on track. But, you can look through mine and see where I have gone over my calories on occasion, and that may be caused by too many oranges or a cup of soft serve ice cream from my work cafeteria. I try not to be too hard on myself because compared to what I used to eat, I'm doing amazing!! I have found that a little Lean Cuisine Pizza might not be the best decision, but it's better than my previous decisions of ordering delivery and eating as much as I possibly could.

Good luck!! I'm going to add you to my friends!!
  • yeah_im_that_girl_
    Options
    There are many reasons as to why people do. One is that there are very spiteful people on mfp that comment only things to tear you down, I had it happen to me, this same user also sent me horrible messages on a daily basis to see if she could get a kick out of me. I was upset for some time and eventually got over it. I reported the user and moved on. Some people don't want people to see the types of food they eat,m some don't want people to see their daily intake whether it be caloric or fat wise. Some are just ashamed of their food eaten, this site has great happy amazing people, it has creepy people, it has mean people, but this site also has many people with eating disorders. It is common and the combination of the mean people harping on the eating disordered people's diaries can significantly hurt someone.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sorry I thought I was posting a reply to an individual, and it posted to your general question. Any way to delete a comment you posted?
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Mine is open .... I've only had a couple people say anything negative and I just ignored them .... what works for someone doesn't work for everyone is my philosophy ... I don't really pay that much attention to what anyone else puts in their logs either though LOL
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    tinfoil-hat.jpg
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree- Totally. Can I add you to my friends?
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site too. I didn't realize you could make it 'open' or 'closed'. I do post 'finished for the day'. Does that mean everyone can see my food diary? How do you make it opened or closed or limited?
  • chocl8girl
    Options
    tinfoil-hat.jpg

OMG!!! You know, you might be right! Maybe the people who hide their diaries all sprinkle special raspberry ketones on their food that make the fat melt away while they can eat whatever they want, and you can only discover the secret if you lock your diary and PayPal me $19.99!
  • chocl8girl
    Options
    I am new to this site too. I didn't realize you could make it 'open' or 'closed'. I do post 'finished for the day'. Does that mean everyone can see my food diary? How do you make it opened or closed or limited?

In the top navigation, click on "Settings," then click "Diary Settings," and at the bottom, you can choose your privacy settings. :)
  • DebHutton55
    DebHutton55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my friends and I appreciate their comments even if they tell me I am bad. I eat how I eat and if I have pizza, it's a healthy one and I welcome a dialogue about it. If I have a beer, I still welcome that dialogue. We gain so much knowledge from others and their reactions to different situations.
    I think some people have so many so called 'friends' that really are not there for them. I don't collect friends, I appreciate them, I encourage them and I have real conversations. I am not in this to collect people.