What is a sensible amount of weight to lose per week?

Options
I know everyone says 1 - 2 lbs, and definitely not more. Do you think that 1% a week is ok? For example, if you weight 200 lbs, having a goal of 2 lbs a week? I know 2 lbs is as high as MFP will let you set your goal, but if you were fairly consistent and made some pretty good food and exercise choices, you could lose more than 2 lbs a week if you started out at like 500 lbs. What do you guys think?And what is a normal week for you, weight loss wise?

Replies

• toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    1 a week is recommended, unless for some medical reason you need to lose the weight faster. :glasses:
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    First week you will probably lose more than 2lbs due to water weight if you are starting at 200.
    After that 1 to 2 lbs a week never hurt me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This should help. Keep in mind, this is to get to a normal weight, not a goal weight. Goal weights can be over aggressive.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    I currently weigh 166 and have been experiencing about 1-1.5 lb./week losses since I started on MFP. 1-2 lbs/week is healthy for everyone, but individuals who weigh more can experience bigger losses because of water weight, etc. I have seen some people lose 4-5 lbs/week in a healthy way at the beginning of their weight loss.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    This should help. Keep in mind, this is to get to a normal weight, not a goal weight. Goal weights can be over aggressive.

This, and remember that the scale slides. Once you've lost some weight, you're not going to be as aggressive with the per week loss.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week is pretty accurate. Doing it the healthy way is the best way. ..
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options

Agreed! This is very helpful :)
  • dpozycki
    dpozycki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :happy: I'm happy if I lose 1 a week!
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options
    While it's definitely doable ( and to be honest, in the last 3 weeks I've lost 9 pounds, and I'm at 167 currently ) you gotta be a lot more careful when losing larger amounts of weight.

When losing larger amounts, there is far more risk of eating too little, having your metabolism get too slow, then blimping back up as soon as you relax the diet a bit as well as malnutrition from simply not getting the proper intake to repair your body from the exercise required to lose that much weight.

If you are careful it can be done, but it's much more risky, and the changes are much more difficult to maintain once you do lose the weight. If you want to lose more, try to do it under the supervision of someone who knows what they are doing!!

The sheer amounts of exercise required could also put you at a much larger risk for injury!

Best thing to do is to be consistent, and make LIFESTYLE changes that you can maintain. That being said, if you end up doing a bit more cardio and can lose a bit more per week without damaging your joints, it might not be a bad thing, but going biggest loser style, without the trained medical personnel watching you can set you up to do some significant damage.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

PERFECT! :flowerforyou:

I'm technically only losing about .4 lbs a week .. *sigh* I have less than 10 lbs I want to shake off .. (vanity lbs to be honest) LOL
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

This is a good guideline. Given what you have to lose, you'll be doing 2lbs/week pretty easily I'd say. It will get harder and you will want to start dialing it back as you get closer.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy if I lost 0.5 a week :'(

As long as you're being healthy, eating plenty and it's coming off it's sensible.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have always tended to lose weight in chunks. I will lose 4 pounds one week, lose nothing the next, than the week after that lose 5 pounds. It just depends. I like to see a loss every week, but now I make myself go by how my clothing fits and how my face is slimming down. gotta count every NSV!
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I think since I have 200 to lose, I can expect to see maybe 2-3 a week eating at BMR +10% And that seems healthy and sensible.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I set my goals to 2lbs per week. MFP has me at 1270 calories a day before exercise and I eat SOME exercise calories, I'm a little less strict on weekends and eat around 1500-1600cal/day. I've been losing more than 2 lbs per week though. I've been on here a little over 4 weeks and have lost 16 lbs. I started at 240.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am set for 1 pound a week but to be honest I have been dropping 2 a week for the last 3 weeks by just keeping my calories and activity in line. Even when you have a week that you don't lose--if you stay the course it will just drop off eventually. Patience and perserverence is "key". If you know you're doing the right thing just keep at it. :smile:
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What others have said--depends on how much you have to lose.

I mean, you look at Biggest Loser (for example) where they are losing 10+lbs in a week, and maybe think, "Oh, that's what I should do!" But they are under the care of professional trainers and an MD... and they're not living "real life", but able to work out all day long. So it's a different story for them. But for us who aren't working out for 8 hours a day with a professional trainer, and not under the direct care of a physician every step of the way, we have to be more realistic. :wink:
  • lbesaw
    Options
    You're sure to drop more---Men have a larger muscle mass which helps them really shed quickly....much to the dismay of your female counterparts. Good Luck! :smile:
  • lbesaw
    Options
    You're sure to drop more---Men have a larger muscle mass which helps them really shed quickly....much to the dismay of your female counterparts. Good Luck!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    One to two pounds a week for me. I'm in no hurry.

Good luck!