Body Mass Index replaced by just looking at people

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/body-mass-index-replaced-by-just-looking-at-people-2013012958016
Looking at people is the best way to judge whether they’re overweight, it has been claimed.

Obesity expert Dr Roy Hobbs said: “When working out if someone is obese, trying using your eyes instead of a mathematical equation.

“Basically you look at how fat they are and use that to calculate how fat they are.

“Then, if necessary, you tell them to eat less food.”

Gotcha! :laugh:

Replies

• hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    enormous woman walking out of the sports centre stuffing a Mars Bar - since I lost weight this seems so stupid to me.

For rant on BMI listen to podcast "Rumdoings" on ratio of hip to waist as a more realistic index
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    So if we all go about with revealing tops, that is 50% of the population who will think we are fine as we are?

*Sorted*
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    For rant on BMI listen to podcast "Rumdoings" on ratio of hip to waist as a more realistic index

Not really the case, since there are very large people with very large hips and smaller waists. Doesn't make them less fat. It's just that those with an apple shape have more dangerous fat.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/body-mass-index-replaced-by-just-looking-at-people-2013012958016
    Looking at people is the best way to judge whether they’re overweight, it has been claimed.

Obesity expert Dr Roy Hobbs said: “When working out if someone is obese, trying using your eyes instead of a mathematical equation.

“Basically you look at how fat they are and use that to calculate how fat they are.

“Then, if necessary, you tell them to eat less food.”

Gotcha! :laugh:

:laugh:

Love it!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This won't work for qualifying populations, which is what BMI is meant to do.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    :huh:

LOL....how unscientific!!!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    cool...I need to shave and hit the tanning bed...
  • rdmelinda
    rdmelinda Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All of the serious people, lighten up! Didn't you see the "gotcha"? It's funny! Laughter is the best medicine! If we can't laugh we are not going to lose weight. Or we will lose weight and find out we are STILL miserable. ugggghhh who wants that :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    So if we all go about with revealing tops, that is 50% of the population who will think we are fine as we are?

*Sorted*
    :laugh: So true!
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Not really the case, since there are very large people with very large hips and smaller waists. Doesn't make them less fat. It's just that those with an apple shape have more dangerous fat.

Not to mention thin people who don't have a very defined waist (Lindsay Lohan comes to mind).
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    During a recent medical health assessment I was given the usual spiel about my weight and how my BMI was in the danger zone, yet after all the tests for lung & heart function, diabetes and blood pressure etc, I was told I have the lungs of a 25 yr old (pls note I'm almost double that age and an ex-smoker) and have a 5% chance of experiencing a coronary incident within the next 11 yrs (and that's well below the national average of 11%) - go figure!

Now I know I'm fat and need to do more exercise (as I've been a lazy mare these past 2-3 months) but there is an awful lot of scaremongering amongst the health professional community and Berry's right - use your eyes... :happy: