How to reduce waist size

Options
I am a 57 years old male. I have a waist of 97 cms and a wieght of 79 Kgs. Since January 1, 2013,

I take 1850 calories per day according to a diet plan minus about 250 calories burnt through Yoga and Aerobics (45 minutes per day X 7 days)

My goal is 94 cms and 60 Kgs in 1 year.

4 weeks have passed. I have reduced about 5 lbs in the first 2 weeks and then it is dropping at negligible rate.

Any suggestions to improve weight loss rate would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• applekrisp1988
    Options
    Be patient. These things take time, lots of time. Don't try to rush it by eating too few calories or burn yourself out on exercise, just accept that it didn't take you a week to get this way and it definitely won't take a week to lose it.

Also water, water, water. Cut down on stress, sleep well, keep a routine.

p.s. you are doing good, keep it up!
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    advice... be patient.. you did not gain weight overnight .. you will not lose it that way either and if you try.. you will be discouraged.. Good Luck in your journey...
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    it took years to put on, it takes a lot of time to take off. Its not going to happen overnight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the amount of weight you've lost - that is a great healthy rate! What's your rush?
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Keep at it!!

Took me a few weeks before the weight started coming off at the beginning. Once it did though, it was 1 -2 lbs per week for almost 9 months. A few hiccups along the way but pretty steady overall.

As mentioned above, drink lots of water. And, keep on top of logging your food. I would also suggest keeping an eye on the sodium content of your food. Try and keep it under 2500 mg per day. (My issue is/was high blood pressure so this was a big focus for me). I found that keeping the sodium under control was more difficult than the calories. It also forced me to switch to a very high proportion of fresh raw fruits and vegetables while almost eliminating canned, frozen, boxed and restaurant food. This certainly helped my weight loss.
  • Drink more water. You really actually loss weight through sweating or when you urinate. Urine is the waist of your cells so when a cell is done burning a calorie it is exspelled and eventually comes out in your urine. Drinking plenty of water keeps your waist flushed out. I shoot for over 100 oz a day meself.
  • bfitnbfab
    Options
    Since the topic of this thread is how to reduce your waist size, here is a great analogy:

Think of fat loss like puddles after a rain storm. The smaller puddles will evaporate sooner than larger puddles. The same goes with body fat. You'll start to see changes in your face sooner than your arms and sooner than your waist, because there is less fat in those spots.

Also, there is no spot reduction. You can do abs for hours day after day, but that isn't going to make that fat come off your waist any quicker.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It sucks. I have lost about 50 pounds and I lost it all over my body. Most of my fat is in my belly so it's still BIG relatively speaking. What really sucks about it is wearing pants. I feel like a hip hop gangster wannabe. I will not find good pants (besides sweat pants) that will fit properly until my waist size is relative to the rest of my body. But it is good motivation to keep with the program. I am going to add some longer cardio duration. Currently I am doing strictly HIIT but I think having a couple of 50 minute steady will also help.