What is Your Work Out Area Like

Options
I am making my own little workout area in my basement and i was wondering if there is anything that works for you we have concreat floors and i was going to buy some flooring but i dont know if i should use laminate, carpet or just the concret? I am doing workout DVDS

Replies

• runningwoodpecker
    Options
    we have tile floors and I use a yoga mat :)
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have concrete as well. I workout to DVDs (step, kickboxing, aerobics etc) or do plyometrics and have no problem with the concrete. I used to workout on laminate and found this too slippery. My treadmill is on a carpet with rubber underneath.
  • tlatrice13
    tlatrice13 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't have one yet (hope to buy a house next year) but I will definitely have wood grain puzzle mats for flooring

http://www.zebramats.com/catalog/wood-grain-puzzle-mats
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    Well, we put down soft mats on the wooden floor. We have a weight bench with assorted weights, a BOSU balance ball, several smaller weights ranging from 3-8 pounds, an elliptical machine (also with mats under it...), A desk to prop a laptop to watch DVD's on..like Zumba or something.....we have some barbells and kettlebells as well. we actually converted our dining room into a work out room lol...
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Well, for starters there are trees everywhere. The pavement is cement. There's also a few cars driving around and few pedestrians minding their own business in the sidewalks....
    I run outside.
    Inside my house I just do body weight exercises in my small bedroom with two 20lb dumbbells.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can also get these interlocking, foam-like tiles at Sears (etc) or on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=workout+tiles
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider getting some of the snap-together foam mats. Some are sold for children's play areas (like the ones with the pop-out letters) but they are also available as large, plain foam mats. Check home improvement stores for them. I think I've even seen them at Big Lots. They're cushy, not slippery, and can be pulled up for washing or to be moved to a different spot.

Right now I am working out in my living room (hardwood floors with a large non-slip area rug), but in a previous house I had a basement with tile floors that I used as my workout space. I had my son's foam alphabet play mat in my workout area, and it was fantastic!

Edited to add that the link that NOLA_Meg provided right above is exactly what I'm talking about. :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Covered in fricken dog and cat hair.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Haha! My "workout area" is live a six foot space in my living room. If I need more room, I have to move a coffee table and a playpen. There are crumbs and toys everywhere, no matter how often i vacuum.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The room I put the gym in has carpet over concrete. Works fine. Ideally I would have a plywood platform for deadlifts. Maybe eventually.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I live in a two story-condo that's on top of another two-story condo. Upstairs I have carpet but I enjoy working out downstairs on the wood floors.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You can buy foam flooring squares that fit together like puzzle pieces pretty cheaply. I have a home gym setup in my garage, which has concrete floors, and that's what I use. I got mine at Academy. I have 12' X 6' of it. I've had mine for about 2 months, and it has held up well to daily use.

I wouldn't opt for carpeting, and I definitely wouldn't pay for any kind of expensive flooring. As for just leaving the concrete, it depends on what you're going to be doing. Honestly, the only reason I have it is because I do some things that require lying or kneeling on the ground (like Turkish get-ups) that are just not feasible on concrete.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    We have hardwood floors, so I just shove the coffee table out of the way (unless I'm using it as a weight bench) and use the living room rug. Gives a bit of cushion and protects the floors.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Apart from treadmill downstairs in the lounge behind a screen, the rest is upstairs in a spare room which has wooden floorboards with a carpet over (so there's a bit of bounce):

Incline/flat bench
    Squat stands
    Barbell
    2 sets of adjustable dumbells
    loads of cast iron weights
    single bed
    laundry airer
    ironing board
    iron
    on occasions 2 grandchildren sleeping

and most important radio/ipod player.

It's my 'room of many uses'
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It looks out over the Manhattan skyline and has windows on the two walls facing it, I can see the freedom tower if I warm up in the right spot.

It has a beautiful big split level weights area - one side for machines and squat racks, squat assist-rack - maybe?, all the leg stuff, pull up/bw row bars, the thing with the... whatchoo call it, where you do backwards crunches on this thing where you hold a weight- ANYWAY and a kettlebell/open floor area and some free weights.

then there's the OTHER level a small staircase up with bench press and all those upper body presses and cable things, leg press and gigantic crazy looking contraptions and bigger, heavier free weights and these awesome little mini barbells that start at like 15# and come in pretty handy. I felt silly dragging a 25 pound barbell around this morning, but then I was like lol - i NEED to carry a 25# barbell, who gets to say that?

Both weights areas are about 30 x 40 and have lots of room (for my taste)

Then there is the silent empty mirror-filled studio, where we can stretch when we are done, or do the big rope swings, jump rope, box jump, bodyweight circuits, burpee practice, more KB, etc

Then there's this part up front when you walk in that you have to pass through to get to all the fun stuff - its a bunch of people moving in place :tongue: and just outside is PROSPECT PARK
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well I'm renovating my house so it's not done yet, not really even started. But here is what I imagine it will be like:

957A1A24-0AEB-44FC-A633-9D4F9C9C5ECB-2235-000001D141CF4038.jpg
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Oh, Lowes or Home Depot has this wicked cheap roll out stuff I put in my basement. You just cut it and lay it down. My son did the cutting so the edges are kinda crappy but its very cushiony. Did 2 rooms in basement for $200. (used the cheaper brand not armstrong but its pretty thick) Even got it on sale. Let me find it for you.

http://menards.com/main/flooring/vinyl-flooring/sheet-vinyl/c-6618.htm?page=3&criteria2_facet=Glueless

Couldn't find it at Lowes, but am sure they have it there. The basement was finished with old old tile. Just put the new on top of it after it was cleaned well. Lays perfectly and doesn't move at all, just wish I had hired someone to do a better cutting job. Very easy to keep clean.

The workout flooring that is super padded looks really nice, but dunno how clean it would stay at my house with kids and pets! Plus money was a big factor.