Wanting To Weightlift

Options
I've been on MFP for 21/2 months and have lost almost 12lbs through mainly cardio. I do use some hand weights for my arms but that's about it. I want to do more with weights but don't really know where to begin. We have a machine here at work but it's really confusing. Can anyone give me some advice on what kind of weightlifting I should do in order to begin an all around body toning with hand weights, weighted barbells and regular free weights? Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• fishlover888
    Options
    Hi!
    How much experience do you have with working out before this? Did you do any sports or dance, cheer etc?
    How heavy are the weights you are lifting now, what type of arm exercises?

I have lots of ideas and I love it when women want to lift!
  • misssmarita
    Options
    I would begin with a strength/toning class at your local gym; if you get a good instructor, they should be able to correct you, but not single you out, when you don't do an exercise with proper technique. If you can afford it, a personal trainer is also a good option, paying for an hour of his/her time is well worth the money when you can pick their brain about whatever you wanna know, and they could show you proper technique with whatever equipment you have available. If neither of those are an option, I would start with a few yoga videos from youtube. You might think of it as less hardcore than weights, but have you ever seen someone who consistently practices yoga? Some of them have pretty rocking bods. Just saying ;)

GOOD LUCK!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I haven't been an exercise person. Hiking and occaisonal kayaking is about it until I started on this journey. What my typical work out has been cardio on an elliptical or walking and then very minimal weights. I use a 15lb weighted barbell for bicep curls and then a 5lb hand weight for my triceps, an 8lb hand weight for a back exercise but otherwise it's been body weight floor exercises. We have a small workout room here at work that has a free weight bench, hand weights and weighted barbells. There's also a machine but it's really complicated looking except for the leg press and the pulldown bar.
  • There are many ways to introduce weight lifting. You could try something weight free at home like squats and lunges for your legs. There are a lot of easy weight free moves you can do at home. Try a general web search. You'll be amazing how those 2 simple moves can wear you out. I'd say watch a video on line frist just or look at some picture diagrams to make sure you will be using correct form. Dont want to hurt yourself with wrong technique. As far as arm moves again simple online searches can show you moves. Try and empty milk jug with water for a heavy weight...or buy a heavey one lol. For general toning a women doens't need heavy weights. I used to power lift myself and that was fun too. Hope you find something you like and works for you :)
  • fishlover888
    Options
    Well, welcome to weights!! :)

Since you want to get overall toning, I would start with exercises that give you the most bang for your buck. There is nothing wrong with picking out each muscle group and training them, but personally I like moves that give me a full body workout to maximize my time.

First, on weights - Lift as heavy as you can within reason. When going for 10 reps, the 9th and 10th should feel very difficult. If you can easily get through the set, you are lifting too light! If you cannot perform the exercise with good posture & form, you are lifting too heavy!

Exercises! Here are some of my favorites:
    Squat with overhead press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1xlMnEkE30
    *for this exercise, make sure you are sitting far back with your weight on your heels. your shins are straight and you should be able to see your toes at all times.

Half squat with reverse flys: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/reverse-fly-0
    Squat down with your butt behind you, back straight, seeing your toes, leaning forward. Bring arms together in front of you, then open until your arms are even with your shoulders.

Stiff leg Deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu2rJiF2dLE
    *back straight, head up, with a good arch in your lower back at all times! Knees are soft (not locked or far bent, stay in one position). As you straighten up, squeeze your glutes together. If you feel you lose the arch in you back when you lower, do not go down so far.

Lunges & bicep curl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQZtD9ajyCs
    *same thing, be able to see your toes at all times, do not let your knee go too far forward
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Thanks fishlover888. I'll give those a try tonight.