MFP to TDEE-20%... Results????

Options
Hi! I just switched and was wondering what other peoples success (or not) with upping calories was and how long it took before you started to lose weight/inches/bf% whatever your goal is???? Also any suggestions when doing this???

Replies

• onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just did this as well. Curious.

If I use the TDEE #, does that already include workout calories? Do I eat those back?
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just did this as well. Curious.

If I use the TDEE #, does that already include workout calories? Do I eat those back?

It depends on what you choose as your activity level. I personally set mine as sedentary so that I eat my
    exercise calories back.

Also, I just upped my calories a week ago. You should probably give it at least 4-6 weeks to see if there
    is a change.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    remember when changing anything on your plan, whether it be your diet, new workout routine, etc... it takes about 6-8 weeks to see if it is having any impact.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am losing just over a 1/2 pound each week so it is working for me! I can't remember when I switched over but it has been more than 4 weeks.

PS. I just checked. I have been doing this for 2 months.
  • Joluru
    Joluru Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started this and have lost 14 lb. since Jan 1. Because I have so much to lose, I'm doing TDEE-30%, and will adjust to 20% when I'm not quite as big!
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I didn't lose an ounce for over 6 months, I upped my calories to TDEE - 20% and have dropped about 4.5 pounds in a month. It's working for me! And I love eating more!
  • tlmartin317
    Options
    Call me crazy, but what is TDEE?
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    bumping until later : )
  • black_cats
    black_cats Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I tried to work this out using the roadmap but my TDEE - 30% is lower than my BMR. So confused!
    The calorie allowance MFP is giving me seems too much, with 150+lb to lose I have a long way to go but I want to do it right.
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    BUMP to refer to later
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure - the amount of calories you burn all day long based on your activity level and all your info.
    I tried to work this out using the roadmap but my TDEE - 30% is lower than my BMR. So confused!
    The calorie allowance MFP is giving me seems too much, with 150+lb to lose I have a long way to go but I want to do it right.
    Then 30% is too large a deficit - did you try figuring it at 20% or 15%?

I've been following this method through the road map thread for nearly a year with excellent results. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I really wish I had taken notes of when exactly I started it, but I do remember being on a plateau and stuck bouncing between the same few pounds for quite a long time before I figured my BMR & TDEE through that topic, and started eating at TDEE minus 20%. The scale moved, the fat started coming off, and I had to buy all new shorts for summer. :bigsmile:

I am very near goal weight now, and have rerun my numbers, and have dropped my deficit to just 15%, and still seeing great results. Honestly, this close to goal weight, the number on the scale doesn't even matter to me anymore, and I haven't really lost pounds in months, however I am still steadily losing fat and inches, and dropped yet another pants size. On 1800+ calories a day. Didn't even gain weight through the holidays and I was over goal several times a week! :drinker:

Knowing the BMR and the TDEE is very freeing - I have my daily goal, but I also know that I just need to eat in between those two numbers to stay on track. I always make sure I at least net my BMR for the day, aim for the 1800 goal, and no sweat if I'm over now and then. It works!
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Lovable12
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I agree I love eating more! haha
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Yes - this ratio is awesome - and my go to recommendation - but it is important to keep in mind that you shouldn't go BELOW your BMR no matter what the result of the ratio. :)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure - the amount of calories you burn all day long based on your activity level and all your info.
    Then 30% is too large a deficit - did you try figuring it at 20% or 15%?

I've been following this method through the road map thread for nearly a year with excellent results. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I really wish I had taken notes of when exactly I started it, but I do remember being on a plateau and stuck bouncing between the same few pounds for quite a long time before I figured my BMR & TDEE through that topic, and started eating at TDEE minus 20%. The scale moved, the fat started coming off, and I had to buy all new shorts for summer. :bigsmile:

I am very near goal weight now, and have rerun my numbers, and have dropped my deficit to just 15%, and still seeing great results. Honestly, this close to goal weight, the number on the scale doesn't even matter to me anymore, and I haven't really lost pounds in months, however I am still steadily losing fat and inches, and dropped yet another pants size. On 1800+ calories a day. Didn't even gain weight through the holidays and I was over goal several times a week! :drinker:

Knowing the BMR and the TDEE is very freeing - I have my daily goal, but I also know that I just need to eat in between those two numbers to stay on track. I always make sure I at least net my BMR for the day, aim for the 1800 goal, and no sweat if I'm over now and then. It works!

^:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Pretty much says it all aka what I was going to say. :laugh:

I started at 2100 (I'm 6ft5 and weighed 255lbs so cals were far too low) Now I am on maintenance which is about 2900. I would say gradually increase your calories rather than increase by x amount all at once. Maybe 100 cals a week until you reach the TDEE -20%. And remember when you get there stick with it for 4-6 weeks before you decide it's not working.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    If you need any more encouragement, here's some. The photo shows my progress of losing fat off my stomach from about the time I started eating TDEE minus 20% - that's 1800 calories for me. Took measurements (and the photo on the right) this morning - another 1/2 inch off my waist since Dec. 31. :drinker:
  • Lovable12
    Options
    <
    If you need any more encouragement, here's some. The photo shows my progress of losing fat off my stomach from about the time I started eating TDEE minus 20% - that's 1800 calories for me. Took measurements (and the photo on the right) this morning - another 1/2 inch off my waist since Dec. 31. :drinker:

That is amazing! Do you do any weightlifting (SL5x5 or something else) and/or Cardio too?
  • SheriKCourtney
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I want to know too. What is TDEE and how do I know if I need to change mine and how do I do that? Thanks for your time!
  • Lovable12
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I want to know too. What is TDEE and how do I know if I need to change mine and how do I do that? Thanks for your time!

use:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • MzzNkki
    MzzNkki Posts: 57
    Options
    bump