The Most Accurate Method of Calculating TDEE?

Options
It seems that TDEE is the key to a lot of this. However, I am still a little leery of any calculations that use such broad-defined variables like "sedentary, light, moderate, and active", but it appears all the available "calculators" use these broad brush strokes.

Has anyone sought out a more accurate means of calculating TDEE? Any thoughts on whether to use the Katch-McArdle over the Harris-Benedict Research Model? Given that Katch-McArdle takes BF% into account, I'm leaning towards using this. I've also heard it is more appropriate for folks with high BMI, as they deviate from the average person contemplated by the Harris-Benedict model.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If you want to get more accurate than one of the equations and activity factors, you pretty much have to "measure" it yourself using your calorie count, change in weight, and about a month's time or more.

like this:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator-calibration/
  • hubtech
    hubtech Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Even BMI is a generalized calculation. Better to measure body fat with a device of some sort - or several and normalize the results - before using it in another calculation with generalizations. In the end though, it's just a target. So "close", to begin with, is good enough and you can always adjust it as you get more accurate feedback/data.
  • talilakay2
    talilakay2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use IIFYM.com

It lets you specify how long you spend sitting, sleeping, moving around etc. I've set it as my basic day (ie sitting at my desk for 7.5 hours, 7.5 hours sleep, some light movement) then on days I work out I add the calories and eat most of them back.

It gives a clear explanation of your calories needed. I've worked my deficeit at TDEE minus 15% and I'm losing about 1.75lbs per week. This is an average, I've calculated it over the last 6 weeks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    They're all estimates...most of them are pretty good estimates, but you have to play with your numbers a bit.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I used this one:

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

because it allows you customize more than any other i've come across. I calculated for a typical day without exercise. Then I add cals back in according to my HRM readout when I exercise each day. It's still all estimates but I feel like this works better for me since my activity level can fluctuate each week
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you want to be scientific about it, you need to go to a clinic that can run the proper tests. This will include RMR hood test, submersion test for BF%...evidently there is even a solution to drink that allows them to track actual calories eaten, rather than the +/-20% estimates on our food packaging.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Fantastic bits of advice, thanks everyone! I didn't even realize that such tests existed. I need to find out if my insurance covers them.

The idea about calculating at sedentary and adding back in exercise calories is a great one, since my days vary somewhat (I get to work from home on some days).

I am awaiting my BodyMedia Link and Bodyfat-measuring calipers and I think I'll be able to calculate a fairly accurate BMR and TDEE, and then I'll have a bit more confidence in the numbers!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    The Bodymediafit is supposed to be 95% accurate.
  • dmrn03
    dmrn03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree that one equation does not fit all body types! I just had my Resting Metabolic Rate Test done on Saturday. What a HUGE eye opener!! I have hypothyroidism and even being on medication, watching calories, and exercising has not helped. And yes i change my workouts every 4-6 weeksand do heavy lifting. ;) I found out I'm not eating enough calories and they explained that my body will not let go of the fat until it knows I will keep feeding it properly. It costs $65 and took about 10 minutes. You can google RMR Testing and find places near you like a hospital, gym, clinic, etc. Worth every penny!
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    nm.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    If you want to get more accurate than one of the equations and activity factors, you pretty much have to "measure" it yourself using your calorie count, change in weight, and about a month's time or more.

like this:

Bump...
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options

like this:

^^^fantastic^^^
  • KKWilson
    KKWilson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great info everyone! I have been struggling with this same question, so I input my stats into each of the sites that were recommended and came up with an average TDEE for myself. I guess that would be a good starting place for daily caloric requirements. Thanks!!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Fantastic bits of advice, thanks everyone! I didn't even realize that such tests existed. I need to find out if my insurance covers them.

The idea about calculating at sedentary and adding back in exercise calories is a great one, since my days vary somewhat (I get to work from home on some days).

I am awaiting my BodyMedia Link and Bodyfat-measuring calipers and I think I'll be able to calculate a fairly accurate BMR and TDEE, and then I'll have a bit more confidence in the numbers!

Your bodymedia fit should give you a much better idea of your TDEE than the calculators. Add up your calories burned for the week then divide by 7. That should give you a more accurate one
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options

I have (had, I just jumped into the shower this morning with the armband on....hoping a rice soak will bring it back to life) the BodyMedia armband. I found mine was within about 5% of my calculated TDEE.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use my Body Media Link armband to calculate my TDEE. The online calculators aren't even close to what I get by measuring.