Pre-Bariatric Sugery

Options
Hello...I began my first class last night required in order to receive bariatric surgery. I am eligible for either the sleeve or the bypass, according to Kaiser it will be my decision on which surgery to get. Is there any one who would like to share with me their experience with the surgery and any pointers or information that may be helpful in preparing myself for this major change? Thank you!!!!:smile:

Replies

• Mystismom
    Options
    Hi! I had the bypass in May 2010. I went in at 391 and currently weigh 270. The surgery itself wasn't too bad.It was done laproscopically and recovery was fairly quick.My best advice is to realize that the surgery is a tool and although at first the weight seems to "magically " drop off, you still need to make lifestyle changes.Take advantage of any and all resources available to you before and after your surgery. A support group will be very helpful, having people who understand exactly what you have been through is awesome. If you encounter negative opinions on your decision to have the surgery, take them with a grain of salt. I am still w
    orking toward losing more weight and have learner to go easy on myself.Good luck and keep me posted!
    Linda
  • stanthemovieman
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck on your journey. My wife had biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch on June 6, 2012. This is the most radical but most effective form of the surgery. As of January 6, 2013 she had lost 100 lbs. The full bypass is similar to the BPD but without the duodenal switch. I have no idea what the duodenal switch does but it's apparently a big deal. Depending on how much you want to lose should determine which surgery. Bypass is slightly more effective than just the sleeve but the difference is rather small on average. Members of a support group, which my wife was required to attend as part of her run up to surgery, will be able to give you more and better info. Once again, good luck!
  • jennyrobles74
    jennyrobles74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank You Linda for the information it so helpful!!:smile:
  • inikahj
    Options
    I had the sleeve in April of 2011. I lost 70lbs by Feb of 2012 I started strong however went back to some of my unhealthy ways thinking I had control. I have gained 20lbs back and now I understand that this is not an easy fix. I have to continue to watch all that I eat especially my sugar intake. I am back on track with exercising and making better food choices!! I had the sleeve I have not had any problems. Good luck on your journey.
  • jennyrobles74
    Options
    Thank you Stan!!!
  • jennyrobles74
    Options
    Thank you! All this info is very helpful!
  • SherleeTxn
    SherleeTxn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello. I had the RNY bypass in August, 2012. I am glad I had it, but you need to do a lot more research than I did. I was not aware of the problems of nutrition absorption and the need for vitamins the rest of my life. That is my fault for not learning as much as I should have.
    I have had issues following surgery with eating - not everyone does. I am glad I did it. Between losing 72 pounds with MFP prior to surgery and weight loss since surgery, I have lost 160 pounds. I wish you good luck!
  • jennyrobles74
    Options
    Hi Sherlee...thank you for the info! I'm required to take a 12 course class regarding the surgery, which I'm attending now. So much is going to change, but I'm so looking forward to it. I've began taking vitamin's now and cutting out the soda and foods that I will not be able to eat after surgery.

That is so awesome that you lost 72lbs prior, the doctor has given me a goal of 30lbs to lose prior to the surgery, I'm working on that now. :wink: But more will be better, I have not scheduled the surgery yet, I'm still in the process of blood work and so forth.

If you do not mind me asking, what types of issues did you experience?

Everone that I have talked to who has had the surgery and said that they are glad that they did it as well.

Thank you!!
  • rogueriverbrat
    rogueriverbrat Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have 4 friends and a neice who had the sleeve they said they would it again :) Good luck on yor Journey :)
  • jennyrobles74
    Options
    Thank you!!