Hungry all the time

Options
Ever since I upped my calories to 1740 I am hungry all the time! I don't mind it since I have plenty of healthy snacks I can eat and I'm not gaining weight. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is it a good thing? When I was on 1200 I was hardly ever hungry.

Replies

• Sheakat
    Sheakat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating 1740 calories instead of the recommended 1200?
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    because she's smart.
  • I also experience it. I think when you are limiting yourself to so little calories you try to use filling calories. When you have more you tend to eat more empty calories. I also work out more on more calories than I did, which allows for more eating.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    because she's smart.

:flowerforyou:
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    because she's smart.

:flowerforyou:
    Haha yup.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    because she's smart.

I think I love you for this.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    because she's smart.

haha yes.
    your body was probably catabolic before. now that its getting more food and nutrients, its asking. hey come on? dont stop there! if your worried about hunger incorporate more moderately fatty meats, more raw fruit and veg, raw nuts etc
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I read on here some where that it could possibly be your metabolism adjusting to the increase in calories. If I recall, one suggestion is to water it out, basically drink water and try to ride it out if possible. If you do a search I am sure you will find some good answers.
  • barneska
    Options
    Are you working out more than before? When I ate 1200 calories I was rarely hungry, but I also had zero energy. The increased appetite probably just comes from working out hard and having more energy, therefore requiring more fuel (food) :smile:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I need a sign that says, "WILL WORKOUT FOR FOOD"!

I am finding the same thing. I set my profile information to lose 1 pound a week instead of two, so it upped my daily minimum, AND I am eating all of my exercise calories, and I feel more hungry now than I did when I started.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Ever since I upped my calories to 1740 I am hungry all the time! I don't mind it since I have plenty of healthy snacks I can eat and I'm not gaining weight. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is it a good thing? When I was on 1200 I was hardly ever hungry.

This happened to me too really weird how that works but I figured I had killed my metabolism and by upping the calories I got it back. So I see this as a good thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    because she's smart.

haha yes.
    your body was probably catabolic before. now that its getting more food and nutrients, its asking. hey come on? dont stop there! if your worried about hunger incorporate more moderately fatty meats, more raw fruit and veg, raw nuts etc

That's kinda what I was thinking...metabolism has kicked back in with the higher caloric intake. When I first started out on the 2 Lb per week thing, I think MFP had me at 1,300 calories (way below my BMR)...I did that for a little while. When I dialed that back to 1 Lb per week (because I learned about such things as BMR/TDEE and started eating arouind 1,900 (more if I worked out) I got pretty hungry once the metabolism kicked back in. I want to say it really only lasted a week or so before things tapered off. I'm rarely hungry now and consistently losing 1.25 Lbs per week on average.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Same here when it comes to being hungry on high cals.

I actually do caloric cycling during the week.

3 days I eat 1200-1300,

3 days up to 1600

and 1 day to 2000.

I found when I first started that I was trying to be as healthy as possible with the veggies and protein to keep me satisifed at 1200-1300.

I found on my 2000 cal days? I went hogwild on the breads and snacks..

I now found a happy medium. On my 2000 cal days I try to at least get my protein requirement in before I go hogwild on the carbs. That seems to help.

But yeah, on my low days I was rarely hungry because I knew I just had a little to work with and I had to make every cal count.

But on my high days? I was eating lots of sugary stuff and I would be hungry soon after. Now I am learning to have yummy but healthy choices on my high days and still have my goodies, not just the whole day. That seems to work.
  • windyday61
    windyday61 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also feel hungry since I started eating more, so what i do now is eat every 2.5 hours. It has helped me.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Yes you are very smart :smile:

Can't see your diary, but wondering what your protein and fat levels are. Eating around 1g of protein for every lb of lean body mass and also eating healthy fats helps you keep you fuller for longer.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If your workouts or intensity have increased, this may cause a spike in appetite. 1200 is what MPF defaults to for some people when they want to lose 2lbs/week, but isnt necessarily healthy or good for you. If you are working out, make sure you have a good mix of fats, proteins, and carbs. Protein will keep you nice and full, so make sure you are getting enough of that
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", started out eating around 1300... quickly upped that to 1500 when I saw how miserable that made me. Now I eat about 1700 (and more when I exercise).

I was content for quite awhile at 1500, but there was a point (several months into this new routine) where I was just starving all the time. My routine hadn't drastically changed, I had just been eating good quality food and exercising a moderate amount for awhile. I think my only explanation is that I suddenly had the metabolism of a somewhat active person, instead of just a couch bum?

I'd take a look at the ratios of the different foods you're eating. Fat and protein are what keep me full for longer, so make sure you're getting enough (I have MFP set to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat, personally). If you try that and you're still hungry, you could consider adding another 200-ish calories to your day? If you're pretty active, that might be a reasonable amount for you. Try it for a month or two, and see how your weight behaves - adjust appropriately. Just know any changes are going to take awhile to really take effect

Good luck!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    because she's smart.

True, True!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen, too. Look back at your diary and see if there are any patterns. Are you eating less filling or nutritious foods? Are you working out more? My reason seems to change. I also find that sometimes when I eat a breakfast low on protein I am hungry all day.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I hit all my macros, but more protein wouldn't hurt, and maybe more fiber to keep fuller longer. I was thinking the same thing about the metabolism, that it's probably actually working how it's supposed to now and that's why I'm hungry. I am working out the same amount. It's not a huge problem for me to be hungry, but it's just funny how I was never hungry on 1200 :)