Help me... i'm eating way too much sugar!

Options
Hi so since i started keeping a food diary i notice that i'm always wayyyyyyy over on my sugar intake. The funny thing is, i'm not eating candy, drinking artificial juice, or having any soda.

IM EATING FRUIT! lol

Pineapples,clementines, grapes and bananas mostly. These are my favorite fruits.

I love them but do i have to give them up? i have a history of diabetes on both sides of my family.

I though i was doing really well not drinking artificially sweetened juice, not drinking a cup of coffee with 10 sugars, and not having candy and cookies. I was just grabbing a piece of fruit instead. Is this unhealthy? lol i dont know what to think or do about this?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Grapes are extremely high in sugar but all the fruits you listed are pretty high. Berries and grapefruits are much lower. If you want to reduce your sugar intake, switch to berries and grapefruit. Some people don't watch sugar but eating sugar (even from fruit) causes me to have more sugar/simple carb cravings. When I keep my net carbs below 50 g and my sugar below 10g I stop having cravings.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I used to have sugar cravings after dinner which was my mind saying "where's desert?" bc it had become a common practice to have desert after dinner. I find that if I cut sugary stuff for a week or two the cravings die off. And I don't worry about sugar found in fruits.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    This may help:

http://thepaleodiet.com/fruits-and-sugars/

There are different types of sugars found in fruit and some are worse than others for those predisposed to or with a family history of diabetes.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I generally limit myself to one serving of fruit a day, maybe a second if I am going to be very active. Even then, I am usually over, since I don't put any such limitations on dairy.

It is important to realize that the MFP sugar guidelines are ridiculously low and you will go over if you eat fruit and dairy. Many argue that they are only meant to apply to added sugars, not naturally occurring sugars. Personally, I still need to limit my total sugar and not go crazy on the fruits, but I do not stay within MFP guidelines, either.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ditto - but nobody ever gained weight from eating too much fruit.
  • redhatorade
    redhatorade Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I had 5.3 ounces of mango in my green tea smoothie today (Green Tea, Mango, Plain Non-Fat Yogurt, Ice) and right there it only left me with only 5g sugar for the rest of the day. Add in other low sugar food and I am way over my limit. I feel as if I am eating good, pairing protein and complex carbs and adding a dash of good fat here and there, so I am at a loss. If I have to track every macro, I will b down to eating celery and drinking water and nothing else.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar because most of what I get is from fruit, and I don't think I overdo it on fruit at all.
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options

It is important to realize that the MFP sugar guidelines are ridiculously low and you will go over if you eat fruit and dairy. Many argue that they are only meant to apply to added sugars, not naturally occurring sugars.

I have to strongly disagree with this and encourage you to also watch your fruit sugars. I also have a huge sugar problem I am trying to kick - just like you it's more a problem of fruits (and also dairy). I do not have diabetes but a blood test revealed 'pre-diabetes'. My body is not processing sugar like it should be and it's scary! I was also diagnosed with PCOS which is well known to create extreme sugar cravings (the exact thing that is horrible for PCOS!)

I was taught to forgo the tropical fruits, juices, and dried fruits all together (unless it's just too much to bear and then enjoy a very small quantity of something as a treat.) Think in terms of fruits with pits: plums, cherries, peaches. Granny smith apples are lower in sugar than many varieties of apples.

On top of that, I have learned that there are many 'non-sugary' foods, like wheat, that your body perceives to be sugar and process in that way. Supposedly wheat spikes insulin. Many people have trouble with a variety of carbs, like potatoes, also spiking insulin.

It's really hard, especially since we have all been taught that fruit is healthy, but we just eat waaaay too much of it...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

It is important to realize that the MFP sugar guidelines are ridiculously low and you will go over if you eat fruit and dairy. Many argue that they are only meant to apply to added sugars, not naturally occurring sugars.

I have to strongly disagree with this and encourage you to also watch your fruit sugars.

Which is what the original said. If you had quoted the whole paragraph instead of editing it, you could have been agreeable instead of disagreeable.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Lol I guess I'm a rare case. I gained eating mostly fruits. I lost a lot more when I cut out fruit.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    yes, yes they did.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i go over my sugar guidelines set by MFP on broccoli and potatoes, wouldn't be to worried.

edit

probably get an A1c done and then diagnosis if the fruit is an issue
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    i go over my sugar guidelines set by MFP on broccoli and potatoes, wouldn't be to worried.

edit

whats an a1c?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

edit

whats an a1c?

HbA1c

A blood test- Glycated hemoglobin.
    Used to determine how well a person's blood sugar is being controlled over a six to twelve week period.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options

edit

whats an a1c?

HbA1c

A blood test- Glycated hemoglobin.
    Used to determine how well a person's blood sugar is being controlled over a six to twelve week period.

This ^

Determines if you're diabetic, pre diabetic, or have healthy glucose levels. Next time you get a check up you can ask for a sugar check every doctor(MD) has a glucose meters. Takes 30sec.

Edit
    To get A1c is just as easy next checkup or schedule an appointment. Doctor I have a history of diabetes in my family and I eat a lot of sugar (fruit) Iam concerned if my glucose levels are in a healthy range. Get a doctors permission and get your blood drawn the same day.

Also if you eat a lot of sweets
    Do you feel thirsty?
    Pee a lot ?
    Or tired?

All signs of high blood sugar, though there as about as generic as they come, be aware.
  • thinunfit
    thinunfit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    yesterday i got 100grams of sugar from fruit and milk.. thing is im recovering from anorexia.. but im terrified of getting diabetes from havign such high sugar intakes daily
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    yesterday i got 100grams of sugar from fruit and milk.. thing is im recovering from anorexia.. but im terrified of getting diabetes from havign such high sugar intakes daily

You don't "get" diabetes from daily "high sugar intakes".
    But it is a disease that can be hereditary.
    If you have a family history, you may want to consider speaking to you doctor to be screened.
    I would also speak with a registered dietician regarding what would be the best types of foods/calories for you to be eating.
    I would think protein would be more important than sugars.