spinning classes

Options
has anybody tried Spinning? how hard did you find it? i have a class booked tonight at 6 and i have never felt so nervous in all my life!!

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just did my first spinning class last Saturday, and I loved it!

I actually didn't find it that hard, but I have been working out for two years now, so I'm pretty fit.

Ask the instructor to show you how to set up the bike(there is a whole method behind that) and go at your own pace.
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Spin class is an amazing workout! try to get there a few minutes early to have the instructor set you up on the bike properly and show you the different positions. You control how hard you work by setting the tension or how much you get off the saddle when they are climbing. Nothing to be nervous about-just have fun!
  • Tmcke62
    Options
    Funny that you say that you are nervous, i felt the same way. Agree, get there early and get some help setting up the bike, it is real easy once you know what settings work for you. Finally, all you have to do is set yourself a small goal, mine was to just make it through the class, even if all I did was pedal at the same pace the whole way through. I did that and loved it! The class is actually quite motivating!
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Spinning is amazing exercises if you get with a great instructor motivating you and playing brilliant music your class will be over before you know it leaving you wanting more.

Spinning will burn loads of calories as for me it is HIIT type exercise, increasing and lowering your your heart rate during the session with combinations of sprints, hill climbs and endurance, Ultimate cardio exercises.

However you are ultimately in control of the effort you put in by increasing the resistance and pushing yourself.

You get out what you put in.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, you do get what you put in. You can totally sit there and spin away with no resistence and barely get your heart rate up, or you can really work it and be a puddle of sweat by the end. the nice thing is, if you aren't feeling a song or need rest, no one will be the wiser because you can take it at your own pace. I personally have a love/hate relationship with spinning. It's a great workout and my legs and butt never feel better than after a class, but sometimes it's hard and I find myself cursing the instructor. I am sooo glad I went though when it's over. And if you get a good instructor the music is great and very motivating. The music is often what will make or break a class for me.
    Have fun!!!
    Oh, you may find your lady bits may be a little sore afterwards. That's normal and usually goes away after three classes.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous, everybody in there was likely a nwebie at some point. I started spinning after my first child, about 10 years ago. When I started I was intimidated by the sweaty exhausted folks leaving that dark little room, and i wasn't sure I could do it. I tried it anyway, because I really wanted to drop some weight. The people were super supportive, it was hard and it took me 2 weeks to figure out how to stand and ride (I'm not very coordinated), and another 2 weeks before I could do everything the instructor asked for the full time, but I stuck with it. I've been teaching now for about 5-6 years and riding outdoors for 4 years. It opened me up to challenges and let me see that I could succeed. Here are some things I tell my new students.

1. Show up ~ 10 min early for Set-up and quick lesson on positions/tension control & brake.
    2. Bring Water
    3. Bring a small towel if your gym doesn't offer them.
    4. Do NOT go all out in the first 5 minutes of class. For your first class lay back for the first half then push the second half.
    5. Do NOT try to keep up with anybody, especially the old guys - you'll regret it.
    6. This is your ride, you can make it as easy or hard as you need it to be.
    7. Do NOT get frustrated if there is something you can't do, this is very different from other cardio activities. It will come, but your muscles and body need to figure it out.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started spinning a few weeks ago, and have gone nearly every day since. It's fun and very addictive. Here are some tips for the newbie:

1. Go 15 minutes early, ask for help setting up your bike and get a nice, easy warm up in before the loud, thumping, heart-pounding music begins and the pace ramps up before you can blink.
    2. Take lots of water and towels! You're about to sweat profusely out of every pore, so this is crucial.
    3. Invest in padded shorts, and maybe even consider gel gloves. You can thank me later.
    4. Keep your eyes on the instructor for non-verbal clues if you can't hear or understand him/her over the music. (My classes are like a night club). When he/she says, "More gear!", turn up your resistance just a little until you know how much you can handle.
    5. Do try to keep up, but don't kill yourself.
    6. Have fun!

DONE. Now go have a blast :love:
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I've been spinning consistently every week for (over) 3 years... it's AMAZING...

Don't be nervous, just make sure you take it at your own pace... if you try to keep up with folks like me, you'll leave. I've seen it happen.

Enjoy it :) The music is there to motivate you!

Good luck!
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I usually do one a week. I like it a lot. Its great cardio and I feel like I get a full body workout with it
    I also like the music and there is usually a pretty fun group of people that attend
    I think youll like it
    Let me know if you have any questions.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    All I can say it...GEL SEATS....... If you practice the correct form (yes there is a correct form) you will feel the difference.. Lose yourself in the music (while listening to the instructor) and get it done....don't be that guy...
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Love spin class - great cardio workout - and NEVER have I seen so much spandex !
  • Cruz2Fit
    Cruz2Fit Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The only thing to be afraid of is the butt soreness afterwards. However, it is something you get over. I love Spin class! Just got back from mine! Good luck!????
  • I teach spin, WEAR A MAXI PAD. for women that bike seat is right on the our bone, wearing a pad helps soo much.

the best way thing to use is the gear, the higher the gear the better the workout. I love teaching cycle. I been doing up hill sprints for the past 2 weeks and OMG they are a killer.
  • fatmommaoftwo
    Options
    wear a pad? really? is it that uncomfy?x
  • footiechick82
    Options
    wear a pad? really? is it that uncomfy?x

LOL - there is truth to that :) Until you get use to it, you will be very sore! Anywhere the seat touches will hurt.
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just started spinning a month ago and I have to agree, go buy a gel seat! It helps a lot. Tonight is the first night my *kitten* didn't hurt and I could solely focus on giving it my all. Loving it!
  • fatmommaoftwo
    Options
    that was very very hard but i feel LOADS better about next time. everyone was so nice and it was easy to g at my own pace without feeling like a looser coz others had to slow down too
  • fatmommaoftwo
    Options
    ok its the day after and my crotch is KILLING :( help
  • footiechick82
    Options
    the only other thing I can suggest is getting a gel seat (my boss has one and she uses it everytime we go and she's been spinning for years!) or get a pair of cycling shorts, they have padding in the 'crotch' area to help.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started spinning last March or April, 45 minutes classes and they are intense. Our instructor is a cyclists that sometimes comes in talking about her 60-90 mile bike rides on the Saturday before...so she is in great shape. I usually burn 400-600 calories and to be honest it has really gotten any easier because it changes from week to week and that is what keeps bringing me back. Since I usually run this has been great cross training for me.