The 4 Steps to a Great HIITWorkout

Options
imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
This is from one of our information guides in our books at the gym.

1. Exercise Selection
Most of the research studies into HIIT have relied on stationary bicycles or ergo-meters to test the effectiveness of this training protocol. Mainly this is due to the need for these studies to control all of the variables in a closed laboratory setting. Kinesiology lab = Stationary bike.

You, however, are not limited to an exercise bike, treadmill or ergo-meter (stationary rowing machine). HIIT or Sprint Training requires an all-out effort followed by an ‘active’ rest period. As long as you choose exercises that are fully challenging your body for the entire sprint portion, you are limited only by your imagination.

My two caveats are that

1.You should choose big compound exercises that use as many muscles as possible.
2.You should choose exercises that involve continuous movement. There should be little to no resting during the exercise – i.e. no bench press, power cleans where you drop the bar to the floor.
Here are some suggestions:

Cardio machines

•Bike
•Treadmill – be careful transitioning from sprint to recovery – some treadmills are more suited to this type of exercise than others – Back in the day, I used to keep the treadmill at a fast clip and increase the incline for my sprint and then (as quickly as I could hit the ‘decline elevation’ key, bring the treadmill level for the active rest portion.
•Elliptical – Same warning as the treadmill
•Ergo-meter / Stationary Flywheel Rowing Machine
•Versaclimber, VersaPulley
Body Weight Exercises

•Sprinting – track, indoor, outdoor, cross-country, etc.
•Hill Sprints
•Sand dune sprints
•Swimming
•Road cycling – My be difficult to coordinate HIIT if you have to deal with traffic
•Jumping Jacks
•Burpees
•Think gym class calisthenics or take a look at some of the crossfit videos on you tube.
External Resistance Exercises

This is where you are really limited only by your imagination and your common sense. Remember, you should be going full out. Moves that are too complex won’t work when you hit that great big wall of pain.

•Car Pushes
•Squats
•Dumbbell or Kettlebell Swings
•Jump Squats
•Tornado Ball
•Thrusters
•Alternating Jump Lunges Thrusters
•Sled Drags
2. Volume
Simply put, as you increase the volume of your HIIT work, your anaerobic endurance improves and the amount of caloric burn increases.

Beginners should start with 1 x 20 minute workout per week. Trainees with a good aerobic / anaerobic base can start with 2 x 20 minute workouts per week.

Don’t underestimate HIIT. It’s not like aerobic or standard resistance training. There is a strong neuro-muscular component to this training. You will over train if you are not careful.

Work to increase your volume to the maximum recommended 3 x 30 minute workouts per week before increasing the intensity or eternal load.

3. Intensity
The range of Sprints per Workout is to accommodate your improvements in HIIT Volume Progression. In the 1:3 Ratio workout, 30 second sprints performed for 20 minutes will result in a total of 10 sprints. As you progress to a 30 minute workout, you will be doing 15 sprints.

4. External Load
The final step to a great HIIT workout is external load.

Increase the resistance on your cardio machine. Increase the weight of the dumbbell. Or use one of my favorite tools, the X Vest. This is the final step on your path to a great HIIT / Sprint Training Workout.

To Review
•Choose your HIIT exercise carefully. Big muscle groups, constant motion, not too complex to perform when you are tired, availability in the gym and hopefully something you enjoy performing.
•Increase your HIIT Volume
•Increase your HIIT Intensity
•Increase your external load
With just these 4 steps, you have an endless number of HIIT workout options.

And while it’s not required, I highly recommend using an interval timer with your Tabatas. Trying to watch the clock an do these workouts is a real pain in the butt.

Replies

• Von203
    Von203 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great article!!! People get locked into their Mon, Wed. Fri. lifting routings and wonder why they haven't made any gains. My favorite HIIT is the bike or run sprint, rest 30sec. then manmakers or clean press with dumb bells for 30 seconds to a minute. Burpee pull-ups are fun/ murder too.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've done tabatas with burpees before. Besides nearly killing myself (in a good way), at least two or three guys I know basically told I was doing it wrong and it "wasn't as difficult" as tabatas on a stationary bike. My reply was, essentially, "So you've never done burpees then, have you?"
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yay for burpees!!!!!!!!!!! They really really work!!!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Skipping?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    great post!

Did a pretty awesome HIIT session today. 10 tabatas with various stuff from my 16kg kb (regular exercises), 32kg swings and upright rows, 64kg sumo DL's only , 27kg BB with hang cleans, military press, toronator push presses and twists, boxing, ground and pound, alternating split squats, resistance band (various arm, chest back and abs), medicine ball wood choppers and extended arm windmill things and probably a few I forgot. Was well stuffed after that!

Re tabata timers: you can download music from around the place that has the sounds play over the music so it makes it really easy :) I just googled around and found some.