Toe tingling on eliptical & crossramp

Options
About 10-15 minutes into my cardio, always on an eliptical or crossramp my toes start to feel like there asleep and I get a tingling sensation in them. I don't like the way it feels to have my shoes tied tight so I don't think that this could be the cause. Any thoughts?

Replies

• moneal40
    Options
    I have the same issue. Trainer said it could be one of two simple issues: Tight shoes due to natural expansion of the feet while working out or thin soles. I have REALLY loosened the laces on my sneakers to the point where they feel like they are going to fall off when I first start exercising, but sure enough after about 10 minutes my foot has expanded and the shoe fits just right. The tingling is much better with the loose laces.

Hope this helps. :)
  • MissyINGa
    MissyINGa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. Someone also suggested loosening the laces and it helped but it's not completely gone. You might want to change up your cardio with the treadmill, stepper, and bike. This is what I did and it's not an issue now.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Tight shoes were my issue too :-)
  • buzygalkm
    buzygalkm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went to The Running Room and the fitted me with the right pair of shoe and it has solved this problem for me.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too, can't stand it. Probably why I never use the thing. My feet never tingle when I run outside.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I ride on my heels (lift toes right off the ramp) for a minute or so every 5 minutes and it helps. It's a result from putting too much weight on your toes. At least, for me it is. I get the tingling even with no sneakers on at all. Only in my right foot.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Same here!!
    A runner told me, b/c of the expansion of the foot, it's best to buy your shoes a 1/2 size bigger and that should help with the tingling sensations.
    Also try to keep your heel down when doing the Elliptical...at least that what a trainer said. Guess everyone has an answer...LOL
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    this exact thing use to happen to me all the time... that would be the main reason why i'd stop the workout - my feet were in pain! i realized my shoes were probably past their expiration date, so i got me a new pair of nike trainers and it hasn't been a problem since.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You are putting your weight in the front of your foot while you are on the eliptical. You need to keep your weight in your heels. That will relieve this.
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You are putting your weight in the front of your foot while you are on the eliptical. You need to keep your weight in your heels. That will relieve this.

Agree with the above - and also loosening the shoe laces. Once I did both, I stopped having the numb toes on the eliptical.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me for years. There is a ton of information about it on the internet. Basically, because you are not picking up your feet, but are putting pressure on your feet and legs, they go to sleep. I just get off about every 20 minutes and walk around for a few minutes and it is managable.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are a one-size-fits-all kind of thing unless it's your own machine. So it's not you, the machine just has a funny stride length for you. Plus the fixed motion pattern means one aspect of your foot will always be stressed, unlike free running/walking, where the load varies constantly.

I agree with the shoe lace/foot placement ideas preiously suggessted, just wanted to add that it can also help to shift your foot position every 2-3min. A little forward/back/in/out/turn, it changes the load bearing. Something else to add to your solution pile, I hope.