Need advice about exercise

Options
Hi everybody. I just have a question for any of you who suffer from arthritis. I was recently diagnosed( beginning of the year) with arthritis in my right knee. I gained back all the weight I had previously lost due to not working out but eating the same as when I was. Since that time I have started back watching what i eat and have lost 20 of the pounds I gained. My question is what exercises do you do that doesn't put a lot of stress on the knees but burns a lot of calories. I have been using the wii fit and biggest loser games and they seem to help but some days the pain the next day is terrible in my knee. Any advice on alternate activities that I can supplement the upper body workouts with would help. Thanks for any help.

Replies

• megananne88
    megananne88 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have had a ton of knee surgeries from playing soccer and have arthritis as well. Anything in the pool is easy on the knees, whether it is swimming or water aerobics. Also the elliptical trainer and bike are good choices for cardio as well.
  • divergrl
    divergrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try pilates or yoga ;)
    since its getting warmer out, or if your gym has a pool, swim!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I have had a ton of knee surgeries from playing soccer and have arthritis as well. Anything in the pool is easy on the knees, whether it is swimming or water aerobics. Also the elliptical trainer and bike are good choices for cardio as well.

I agree....anything in the pool would be good for you....and swimming works all the muscles in your body

Goodluck
  • Newfunlander
    Newfunlander Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not sure this will be what you are looking for but I do a deep water fitness class. No stress on the body but lots or movement. Just find one that is challenging. I wore my hrm today and saw that I burned 561 calories in a 45 mins class.
  • graydragon
    graydragon Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I will have to look into whether our local pool has any type of class such as this. If not I may have to do some research and go to a family members pool to do them.