Never ran, is a 5k far fetched?

Options
I'm NOT a runner, but I'm walking/jogging 2-4 miles a day depening on my mood. I've lost 26 pounds but I'm still over weight. Is a 5k a realistic idea for me? It's a month away, so I feel like I could work extra hard and maybe WALK the 5k???

Replies

• theodosiou23
    theodosiou23 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well 5k is 3.1 miles so you are already doing that. I think it's achievable for you definitely. Also, even if you do just walk it, at least you did it :)
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'n overweight and have run a 5K but I trained for several months before hand to get to the point where I could run without stopping and without injuring myself. Don't try to do too much too soon, that is where injuriies happen. However I see no reason why you cannot walk a 5K.. Last year I walked a 10K and it wasn't that bad. Give it a try :)
  • JDunbar82
    JDunbar82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well 5k is 3.1 miles so you are already doing that. I think it's achievable for you definitely. Also, even if you do just walk it, at least you did it :)

That's what I was going to say! You're already doing it! It'll be a lot of fun...you won't regret it! :)
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i did the same sort of thing, just did intervals to start, minute at normal speed, minute at a faster speed, back and forth, then 1 minute at normal speed and 2 minutes at the faster speed, soon enough your faster speed is your normal speed lol
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    love love love the tips!! I think I'm going to go for it!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I am the same as you. I would love to try a 5K, but scared at the same time. I was thinking you would have to run the whole thing, but if you can walk it then it should not be as bad. Maybe I could talk my son into doing one with me so I am not going by myself. Thanks for posting this. I needed some advise also.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Very realistic just don't be to concerned about pace
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it.
    I run anywhere from 3-5 km everyday on a treadmill during lunch, at first it was hard and now it's almost easy to do.
    You'll never know if you don't try plus if it does get too hard you can walk, no one expects you to run the whole way if you are having a hard time.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 2-4 miles, you're already doing 5K. I would shoot for a 10K, as more of a challenge!
  • unusualyoux
    Options
    I think you should definitely go for it!! :)

Very jealous you can already run that amount. I've been trying for a while now to get up to running 5K... well, at least religiously running a month and I can't get past 3.5K! :(

Good luck! :)
  • jaimesoo
    jaimesoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Never far fetched! I was a non-runner, never in sports, always skated by thru physical ed classes... one day i just thought "what if" and did like you walk/jogged a few times. Mentioned to my husband one day that I wished i could run a 5k and he asked me why I couldn't and said, I would only know if i tried... So i did the Couch-2-5k program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) and never looked back. That was in 2009 andi have since run 11-5ks, 3-10ks, 4 half marathons, 1- 20 miler, and 1 full marathon in 2011. IT IS POSSIBLE! Just listen to your body and take your time. :)
  • MissyINGa
    MissyINGa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner either but I have done a 10k with minimum training. Needless to say that I did not run the entire race. I ran the first 3.5 miles and then walk/ran the rest. I finished in 1 hr 21 mins. Not great but definitely a good start. That was 3 years ago and I haven't done another one since. I want to be a runner but my body does not..

Good Luck !!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Follow this routine and 5k will seem like a warmup in a couple of months:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I used to be probably the worst runner on the planet (was ready to collapse after jogging for 20 seconds, seriously-- sad), but that routine worked great for me.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am going to do one in June with a friend! Never done a race before. My goal was to run 2 miles w/out needing to walk for June so why not? And I will still be very heavy. You are farther than me in being in shape. i just started doing Leslie Sansone beginning of this month, as it is too cold and nasty for being outside! I did get out recently and was able to jog 1/2 block w/out dying! That was an accomplishment for me!

My friend is 60 years old and she doesn't jog the whole distance but she does walk really fast. She says I can walk some of it, but I really want to be able to jog the whole thing! So its very motivating for me to do these extremely boring videos and they are paying off , can't wait to get back outside to see how well it does, since I am jogging now when she is chanting 'walk, walk, walk'.

Do it! Will be motivating!
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all of the advice! I signed up for it!! There was an option for doing the 10k as well..I left that one alone! LOL
    Our humane society is also doing a furbaby walk, soooo I signed myself and my sweet little lab up for it too!!! She walks with me every single day, so this one will be super fun!
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    you'll do great :D