Running for a month - no weightloss

Options
Hi All!

I'm only new to this forum :)

I've been running using the C25K app (free app on iPhone), very worthwhile and I've gotten so much fitter etc from running..
However...
There is one problem - Although I've been running at least 3 times a week for around 30 minutes at a time (religiously for the past month - new years resolution! On and off before this time), beating my previous times and I am now starting to enjoy my run, I have not managed to lose any weight at all over the past month in which I've been religious to running.
Why could this be?
I don't want to lose hope and give up so thought I'd post on this :(

Help!

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Starting a new fitness program can cause your body to retain fluids and other things.

That said this is probably diet related and not exercise related. Most of weight loss happens in the kitchen not the gym.
  • unusualyoux
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes, it may be diet related however I am eating a lot healthier than I had done before- salads and plenty of fruit and veg in most days!

I will try stick with it, but it's hard when you don't see any change at all on the scales.
  • dsmrunner
    dsmrunner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great job on getting started with running! And don't lose hope, things will improve.

What's going on is you're probably not creating enough of a calorie deficit to notice a difference. Often times when people run they actually increase their calorie intake because the workout makes them hungrier (or they feel they've earned the extra).

Not sure if that's the case for you, but you need to either cut back on your calories a bit, or increase the frequency and/or intensity and/or duration of your running workouts.

So if you're going 30 mins 3x per week, how about 40 mins 3x per week? Or 30 mins 2x, and 60 mins 1x?

Or 30 mins 4x per week? Or do a tempo run for one of your days ... or mix it up. Basically you can run more, eat less, or both.

Good luck!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    This has been happening to me too! I started a five day per week half marathon plan with increasing miles every week and once a week very long runs. It was a big transition to a LOT of running and I was really bummed that the scale stayed the same. I was eating much healthier too! Here are a couple things that I now know are impacting that number for me:

- it doesn't reflect changes in my body. I can see that I'm slowly tightening up, legs and butt especially
    - I was retaining water like crazy. I would drink so much and not have to pee! The key to solving this- drink even more! Now I try to think of water as my running fuel and keep it around me constantly.
    - if weight loss is the goal, add in strength training and stretching. It makes such a huge difference
    - keep at it! I suspect with this type of long term running lifestyle change the increase in metabolism, etc will be a slow transition.

I've been trying to keep this all in mind and have started to see some pounds drop on the scale. Keep up the running! Don't forget it is SO good for your health no matter what the number on the scale says!! Hang in there!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes, it may be diet related however I am eating a lot healthier than I had done before- salads and plenty of fruit and veg in most days!

I will try stick with it, but it's hard when you don't see any change at all on the scales.

I would suggest that you figure out how many calories you need to eat and start counting calories. It is easy to go over on calories even by eating healthy

Also get rid of the scale for a while and buy a tape measure, much better way to track progress
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I'm only new to this forum :)

I've been running using the C25K app (free app on iPhone), very worthwhile and I've gotten so much fitter etc from running..
    However...
    There is one problem - Although I've been running at least 3 times a week for around 30 minutes at a time (religiously for the past month - new years resolution! On and off before this time), beating my previous times and I am now starting to enjoy my run, I have not managed to lose any weight at all over the past month in which I've been religious to running.
    Why could this be?
    I don't want to lose hope and give up so thought I'd post on this :(

Help!

My first guess would be that you are overestimating the calories from running and eating too many back. I would estimate your TDEE on slightly active and then subtract 500 calories to start.
  • ShannonTrentman
    Options
    I have been a runner off and on for years.... make sure to watch what you eat... proteins and lots fruits and veggies. Drink lots of water. Watch your calorie intake daily...my bad is weekends. Are you incorporating hills to your routine? You need incline to kick up the workout. Give an incline boost to the run!
  • dsmrunner
    dsmrunner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    - it doesn't reflect changes in my body. I can see that I'm slowly tightening up, legs and butt especially
    - I was retaining water like crazy. I would drink so much and not have to pee! The key to solving this- drink even more! Now I try to think of water as my running fuel and keep it around me constantly.
    - if weight loss is the goal, add in strength training and stretching. It makes such a huge difference
    - keep at it! I suspect with this type of long term running lifestyle change the increase in metabolism, etc will be a slow transition.

Absolutely agree with Cassidy. You may not notice a weight change right now, but I'd guess your body comp is changing (body fat % is lower than before). Also agree with tracking your daily calories for a couple weeks to see if there's something not right there. Keep at it!
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am doing a marathon program. I find I have to watch what I'm eating - fill up the hunger with cucumbers ha. I try to make sure i get a good balance of healthy carbs and proteins and fill in the remaining calories with veggies - not fruit. Once I get down to where I'm comfortable it'll be a lot easier to train lol. Plus adding in strengthening exercises is good as it builds muscle and that burns more fat.
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, but I know it is my diet, not my exercise that is making the scale not move. I really try to eat less and focus on portions and protein/veggies, but some days it is hard. But I do notice a slight change in my body and I feel like my stomach is a tad bit slimmer and my legs and but are stronger. I feel better overall and that should be more important than what the scale says, right??
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your caloric intake? I had a similar experience with running and once I sat down and actually looked at what I was eating, I realized I'd bumped up my calories considerably, and was pretty much just burning that extra fuel each day with a run.

Of course, scales can be useless, too. They often just don't reflect the improvements that are going on in your body, as you lose fat and put on muscle.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I tend to find that I run for the cardio benefits...but not for expected weight loss. Lift heavy, walk/elliptical have always been more effective for me for actual weight loss.
    Just enjoy running for the sake of it :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I agree with what a lot of people have said, watch your nutrition, incorporate strength training as soon as possible.

I always find that marathon training causes me to maintain or gain weight. One thing to be mindful of - we get stronger not exactly from running, but from recovery (you don't get stronger as the run goes on...you get stronger when your body reacts to the new routine by building more muscle). Your muscles will retain water after a run to aid in repair, which will cause apparent weight gain. Eat protein after a run and stay hydrated. Make sure you are eating 1 g of protein for ever pound of lean mass you have...that way you will ensure that you are losing fat and not muscle.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    More than likely, your estimates are off... either you are eating more than you think or burning less than you think. Or both.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    For the amount you are running you are probably burning around 750 calories a week. That is not very much. Running will burn a lot of calories but not until you have already gotten in shape and are running a pretty fair amount.

Even then, you still need to ensure you eat less than you burn or you will not loose any weight.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If your diary was open we would be able to help more. If your eating is under control maybe you need to go to the next level with your running. It's hard to put the whole puzzle together without all of the pieces.
  • jessbena
    Options
    I'm a runner too! Make sure you count your calories for a couple days in a row since we almost always under estimate what we actually eat. Also try to add some HIIT training while you run. Intervals will get your weightloss going quickly!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Starting a new fitness program can cause your body to retain fluids and other things.

That said this is probably diet related and not exercise related. Most of weight loss happens in the kitchen not the gym.

^This
  • Angel37615
    Angel37615 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25K program last year, ran five 5ks, one 8k, and one half marathon. I didn't lose a single pound the entire time, (I was thoroughly disgusted) until I started tracking calories.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    You still need to count calories. You can't just eat what you want because you run. Not sure if this is the case.

ETA: Didn't read the other comments until I posted mine, but it seems a lot of us agree.