Completely New - I Have No Idea What I'm Doing.

Options
Hi there everyone! I'm a university student who is tired of being tired all the time. I also have certain fitness goals that I can't achieve until I am stronger and more flexible. I'm 5'4" and 185 lbs and I don't really have a goal weight, I just want to look and more importantly feel better for the long run.

However, I have no idea how to do any of this. I've never thought about it before. All I know is burn calories and take in less calories.... is that about it?

Hmm, I don't know how to use the gym either... this is going to be a long, bumpy ride.

Anyway, nice to meet you, can't wait to start using MFP!

Replies

• nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Step 1, you found MFP. You will find so much helpful information in these forums. Before you know it, you will be stronger and feeling better!

Start tracking your food intake.
    Start with small steps...don't try to change everything at once - you'll most likely get frustrated and quit
    Start moving...even if not in a gym

Good luck along the way! I know you can do this!
  • KitKB
    KitKB Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Great calculator to figure out what you should be eating: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Re-calculate every 5 lbs. ;)
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well this is the place to start. I'm 5'4 (female) and the healthy range for my height/gender is 120 (I think... maybe a few pounds less) to 145 (I know that's the maximum to be considered healthy!).

I suggest spending 15-30 minutes everyday reading about nutrition and fitness...whether through articles, on pinterest or just on this message board. If you want a friend, feel free to add me. I feel like I know what I'm doing for the most part even if my weight loss doesn't show it yet ;)
  • ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel like I know what I'm doing for the most part even if my weight loss doesn't show it yet ;)

Me too! I read a lot of articles while I'm at work.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Start simple. Try to stick to the calorie limit this site suggests for you. Log EVERYTHING and if you have to guesstimate, don't underestimate calories consumed. Then get out and walk...just get a little daily activity.
  • stopbeingFatPiggy
    Options
    Start simple. Try to stick to the calorie limit this site suggests for you. Log EVERYTHING and if you have to guesstimate, don't underestimate calories consumed. Then get out and walk...just get a little daily activity.

GREAT GREAT GREAT ADVICE