Calories from endomondo

Options
Question for any endomondo users how much do you trust the calories burned from it. I know it's just an approximation but if you look at my latest one http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/153451708/4993895 . I know I did not burn that many calories from that walk. All my settings seem correct in terms of my body information. So I'm wondering if the gps just doesn't track me properly.

Replies

• lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    OOOOOHHHH I had the SAME exact question. I always go by MFP and logg it as the average speed for entering my exercise calories since it does always seem high to me, but on the other end it does seem possible since endomondo can calculate more about you and the route than some standard database entry.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I find that most GPS tracking apps seem to over estimate. For walking and running I always just log it into MFP manually, because weirdly that's one exercise that MFP doesn't seem to over estimate itself.
  • EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My HRM runs about 90% of endomondo.
  • crunchy_runner
    crunchy_runner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I used endomondo, it wasn't accurate for me at all. MFP was more accurate so I used that information.
  • ctrlaltdelboy
    Options
    I've been wondering about the calorie burn that endomondo states for activities - thinking 'that seems a lot'

I'd like to have my activities logged with as much accuracy as possible, but I really like the convenience of letting endomondo just do its thing and add the result into MFP for me

convenience wins out but it would be nice if it could be more accurate - I feel almost like a fraud when I log into MFP and see lots of 'well done' comments under a post showing a big calorie burn!
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    When I first started using endomondo, I compared it to my HRM. It was pretty accurate. I don't think it ever varied more than 40 or 50 calories either direction which is close enough for me.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    It was more accurate when I entered in my avg and max heart rate as I just discovered this morning when I compared it to my HRM
  • renturne
    Options
    I use endomondo but also use a Fitbit pedometer/calorimeter/sleep tracker/everything else. Endomondo is pretty accurate for me. It's almost identical to the calories burned reading on my Fitbit.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I find that it tracks pretty close to the treadmill and elliptical I use at the gym.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    for me its like 300 calories more than using my HRM when i practice mountain bike, but is very close when i do spinning... so ... :huh:
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Endomondo gives you Gross Calorie Burn vs Net. That may be why your numbers seem high. Most other apps I have tried only give you Net calorie burn.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I tried Endomondo because it synched with MFP, but the calories it said I burned were so far off I went back to Runkeeper, even though I have to enter my walks manually. Endomondo was telling me I burned 653 calories walking at 3.5mph for 45 minutes. Runkeeper told me 227, and MFP was around that too. I gave it a few tries, but the stated calorie burns were so far off, I deleted the app.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Wow. I have the exact opposite issue. Endomondo says I hardly burn anything, but when I log the same exercise here, I've burned almost twice the amount. I usually just go with lower number so I don't overeat when I eat back my exercise calories.