GASTRIC SLEEVERS AND/OR BYPASS QUESTION

Options
Just recently had SLEEVE done about 3 weeks ago. On some soft but they want me to incorporate fish and little chicken, turkey burger (like half). What is the general concensus about how many calories you are getting in a day? When I saw my surgeon the other day for follow up he said I was doing good, loss will show on my flier. I asked him is the average of 500 to 700 good for this surgery. I average between 500 to 600, on occasion have gone to 650. He said that was a good average. When I sometimes hit the 400's, to me that is too low and I will have a protein shake (half) that is 80 cal & 15 grams of protein to up my protein and give me a little more calories. How is everyone else handling their calories and have you set any limits on your calories. I am a work in progress and like to check out other suggestions. Thanks for any responses.

Replies

• Mlek1969
    Mlek1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My dr didn't give me calorie guidelines, just protein. At three weeks out though, I think I was between 400-600 calories and 70-80 gm protein.

ETA - at 3 weeks, my faorite meal was canned chicken (chopped in a mini chopper to make it easier to eat) mixed with olive oil mayo and dill.
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    At my last appointment six weeks ago I asked my nutritionist how many calories I should be eating in a day and fat and carbs etc, just wanted to make sure I was doing everything OK. She told me not to worry about any of that that the only thing I should be concerned with is my protein amount between 65 and 75 grams a day, my water intake and my vitamins. If I've done that I am doing good she said. I am eating between 500 and 600 calories most days, I am almost 3 months out on Feb. 5th. I still have my protein shakes two a day and sometimes three if I am not able to get enough from my foods. I am also on soft foods still and I eat chicken and fish and Love it! I eat about 2 oz of meat and 2 tblsp of veggies usually green beans or peas. I can have more but haven't tried them yet. I go back for my 3 month check up on Friday so I will see what they say then. I think you're doing good, you're not going to be able to eat more than what you are eating in calories yet, like I said I am almost 3 months out and I can only stomach maybe 1/2 cup of food at a time and a lot of the time less than that!
  • anghigdon
    anghigdon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 3 weeks out and have been told by my Nutritionist not to watch ANYTHING and just to follow what they told me to eat which is 1/4 cup of protein 3 times a day. In fact when I asked her how many grams of protein I should be shooting for, she told me not to worry about it because she didn't want me setting myself up for failure. She also said not to supplement with protein shakes! Although I generally try to be a rule follower, I figured out early on that their plan wasn't working for me. SO, I do track my calories and protein and I generally tend to land between 350-450 calories a day and aim for at least 60 grams of protein per day.

After seeing many of your posts and looking at others' food logs, I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough????
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am 3 weeks out and have been told by my Nutritionist not to watch ANYTHING and just to follow what they told me to eat which is 1/4 cup of protein 3 times a day. In fact when I asked her how many grams of protein I should be shooting for, she told me not to worry about it because she didn't want me setting myself up for failure. She also said not to supplement with protein shakes! Although I generally try to be a rule follower, I figured out early on that their plan wasn't working for me. SO, I do track my calories and protein and I generally tend to land between 350-450 calories a day and aim for at least 60 grams of protein per day.

After seeing many of your posts and looking at others' food logs, I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough????

I wasn't eating that many calories three weeks out...but then my doctor still had me on clear liquids. I am just now getting between 400 to 600 I said 500 to 600 but some days it's only in the 400's I am almost 3 months post op, still on soft foods.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    For the rest of the people in the forums reading this - DO NOT put yourselves on 300-600 calorie plans!!!!! These weight-loss-surgery patients are under the strict supervision of Dieticians or Nutritionists and Medical Professionals - and they have alot of body fat to live off. They are probably taking supplemental vitamin regimens.

For people that are not under a direct doctor's care - this is really unhealthy and dangerous.
  • lollyfidy1965
    lollyfidy1965 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm about 7.5 months post-op, having been "sleeved" in June. I'm currently averaging around 800 calories/day, and burning between 700-1100 calories (at the gym) 4 times a week. I track my protein and carb intake, as well as overall calories, and aim for 80-90 grams of protein/day, and fewer than 35 grams of carbs/day. While I wasn't given specifics by my nutritionist, except for the amount of protein I should be eating every day, she has reviewed my food diaries, and is very happy with how I'm doing.

All I know is that its working. :)
  • Lindabummy1
    Lindabummy1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. You are all doing great. Continued success to all