Need Healthy Banana Recipe!

Options
I have a BUNCH of bananas that are going bad. I would like to use these up. Can anyone share some recipes with me?????????

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and used them in a smoothie - 1 banana, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup 1% milk, and chopped ice - YUMMY!!!
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    Banana bread - not sure how healthy it is but instead of melted butter i use plain low fat yoghurt and instead of sugar, applesause, and whole wheat flour instead of AP flour.

Ingredients
    3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
    1/3 cup melted butter
    1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
    1 egg, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch of salt
    1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
    Method
    No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

Also you can bake bananas with a bit of maple syrup - delicious!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free, low fat banana pudding

1 package sugar free banana pudding

2 bananas

12 Reduced Fat Vanilla Wafers

Make the sugar free pudding with skim milk according to package directions, slice bananas, and mix them in and place vanilla wafers on top.

YUMMY, low in cals and fat and will last several days or great for the whole family for dessert.
  • brownies_60
    brownies_60 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    BANANA SPLIT

split the banana like you would for a traditional banana split. Instead of ice cream use 1/2 c vanilla yogurt 1 Tbs choopped nut (you choice), 1 Tbs chocolate chips, and drizzle of honey (optional)

I also chop them up and place in individual zip lock bags and freeze them for morning smoothies when I'm running late for work.
  • doll2002
    doll2002 Posts: 427
    Options
    To keep your bananas from going bad, seperate them when you get home. I learned this from a friend and it really helps.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Baked banana - split a banana in half, put in a baking dish with a few sprays of butter and some coconut flakes. Baked for about 20 minutes, the coconut browns and the banana turns really sweet and warm, kinda like bananas foster.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Peel them, pop them in a freezer bag and freeze them, then you can use them at your leisure in smoothies and juices!!
    I always save mine from the bin this way... and frozen banana makes the smoothie more creamy :smile:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Everything sounds soooo yummy!
  • lindalloo
    lindalloo Posts: 47
    Options
    I toss mine into the freezer, sometimes including bananas that are still nice and yellow and firm. They freeze well and take very little time to thaw, coming out of the skin perfect for mashing. Once my freezer looks like a crazy, twisted mass of black bananas, I thaw all of them and measure them into small freezer bags, each containing enough for a standard banana loaf. Then I return them to the freezer and use them later as the need arises. It's perfectly okay to refreeze thawed bananas, and it's oh-so-handy!
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    I had the same problem the other day and ended up having to put them in the trash....what a waste! :tongue:
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like to make banana "ice cream" when I have overly ripe bananas. Peel the banana and cut it in slices and them wrap it in plastic wrap or place in a baggie and freeze for a few hours. Then remove from the freezer and pulse in the food processor until it is the consistency you like. You can eat it as is or put it back in a freezer foe a few minutes so that it hardens a bit more.

You can eat it plain or add flavours while in the processor: peanut butter, chocolate sauce, other fruit, chocolate chips, vanilla, etc. It seriously feels like a decadent dessert for very little calories :)
  • arsec4
    arsec4 Posts: 22
    Options
    Also, did you know that you can freeze bananas? Peel a couple, slice them, and put them on wax paper, on a pan, then wrap in saran wrap and place in freezer. Helps with portion control as well!
  • jenstrausbaugh
    Options
    thank you for all the great ideas!!!!
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    My daughter likes when I blend a cup of vanilla skim milk, a banana, and about a tablespoon of a chocolate sauce. Tastes like the chocolate banana smoothie at Starbucks.

And I just read this in a magazine at the docs office.

You put a banana in a square of tinfoil, sprinkle on some brown sugar and a couple small pats of butter. Fold up the foil to make a pouch and set on the grill for about 20 minutes. Or you can hang the pouches over the hot stones of a campfire too. I haven't tried it because I just read it yesterday, but I'm looking forward to it!
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    BUMP :love:
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My daughter likes when I blend a cup of vanilla skim milk, a banana, and about a tablespoon of a chocolate sauce. Tastes like the chocolate banana smoothie at Starbucks.

And I just read this in a magazine at the docs office.

You put a banana in a square of tinfoil, sprinkle on some brown sugar and a couple small pats of butter. Fold up the foil to make a pouch and set on the grill for about 20 minutes. Or you can hang the pouches over the hot stones of a campfire too. I haven't tried it because I just read it yesterday, but I'm looking forward to it!

We did this back in the day at Girl Scout camp though we also added chocolate chips and marshmallows. Super yummy! ...if I remember right. lol It has been a few years. :laugh:
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You can freeze them! I take them out of their peel and put them in a plastic baggie then freeze. That way when you decide you want a banana smoothy you can just throw one in.

Editing to say sorry, I didn't see this had already been posted!
  • Tanya761
    Tanya761 Posts: 146
    Options
    Bump!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: slice a banana and put on a toast with nut butter

Snack: take a whole grain tortilla, spread with nut butter, top with sliced banana, granola, and honey. roll it up like a wrap. (good with strawberries too!)

dessert "pizza": heat a whole grain pita or flatbread in a pan on the stovetop. spread with sugar free apricot preserves (although any jelly will do) your pizza toppings can be banana, chocolate chips, sliced almonds, strawberries, or granola. continue to heat until flatbread is toasted and chocolate chips are soft.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    NOOoooo...! :sad: There's no such thing as a bad banana. If you just peel it open, you'll find that it's usually completely normal-looking on the inside, even if it's all brown and ugly on the outside. And then, even if it is brown on the inside too, like others have said, bananas freeze perfectly, and all you have to do is defrost, mash, and add to any baked product in place of egg, or mix into oatmeal... the possibilities are endless. NEVER throw a banana away!!! (unless it's been eaten by bugs or something, then maybe you might have to...)