64 calories - Sky's Oat Bran Banana Bar Recipe

Options
Snoozypaws3000
Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
Hi there,

Posted this to some of my friends who have made them and liked them...they're chewy, tasty and at 64 cals a bar far better than a biscuit made from flour, fat and sugar.

I've made these with Mango and ginger instead of banana and mixed spice and with Cinnamon and Apple Puree
I've made them with All Bran and Bran Flakes when I haven't had the Crunchy Bran
I've also made them with less oats and added Cheerios and Rice Crispies although they come out a lot more crumbly

I just heard from one of my MFP friends who substituted the bran for extra oats and swapped the sultanas for dates and another of my friends is making them with Kashi cereal [don't know if we get that here in the UK]

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that this is a pretty adaptable recipe....not too worried about the calories then add some nuts and chocolate chips

Anyway here it is

Sky's Oat Bran Banana Bars [EDIT sorry forgot to say this makes 8 bars!]

Ingredients
Banana Ripe Small , 162 g 144 cals
Porridge Oats 50g, 180 cals
Weetabix - Crunchy Bran, 40 g Serving 140 cals * **
Sultanas - Home Baking, 10 g 30 cals
Schwartz - Mixed Spice, 5 g 20 cals

Total: 514
Per Serving: 64

*** If you don't have Crunchy bran you can use crumbled bran flakes or another bran cereal like All Bran but remember to adjust the calorie count

Preheat oven to 170 degrees

In a bowl mash the banana with a fork. [Doh...peel it first obviously :wink: ]

Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until well combined.

If the mix is a little dry and crumbly [depends on the ripeness of your banana and dryness of your oats] add a drop of water or fruit juice until you get a mix that stays together and doesn't crumble

Spread out on a small lined tray - The mix should be about half an inch thick
If you haven't a small tray just line half a large tray as the mix doesn't spread out too much.
You are going to be getting 8 bars so imagine that as you are spreading out your mix

Place in oven for 15-20 mins until starting to brown

You can adjust the length of time you bake them...less time will give you a moister softer bar, longer a drier chewier bar.

They keep for ages...I sometimes make mine in bigger batches doubling or quadrupling the ingredients as they last in an airtight tin or ziplock bag for at least a fortnight

I don't use sweetener in mine but when I make them for my Mum I add my one honey [I have 4 beehives. Yummy Honey] but if you have a really sweet tooth you could add stevia or some other sweetener or honey if you're not too worried about the calories

I have also frozen these and then microwaved them until warm, snipped them into little pieces and had them with yogurt as a low calorie dessert

I wouldn't say that these are the most delicious bars I've ever eaten in my Life but I think they're definitely worth making as they are so low in fat and calories and high in fibre

Anyway, hope the recipe is useful to some of you
Would be interested in hearing about your inventive adaptations if you make these with some other ingredients

If someone can advise me how to post a picture on a message I can show you the ones I made this afternoon

Sky x

Replies

• cassieSomething
    cassieSomething Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    sounds delish! Can I use quick oats? where I live it's pretty hard to find regular oats.
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep...I've used Ready Brek before which is sort of milled oats that you just pour hot milk on so I know it works.

It may soak up the moisture from the banana a bit more quickly though as its fine ground so maybe try using a little less than 50g at first and see if the mixture goes to crumbly and if it doesnt' then add more.

Sky x
  • angelkissingdevil
    angelkissingdevil Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe, I made these tonight, I adapted it a little, I didn't have any bran or anything else so I used more oats.  Instead of raisins I used dates which took the calories up.

They've come out lovely, think next time I'll add some ginger. 

Thank you so so much Sky x
  • Jo5ie
    Jo5ie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I can't wait to try!
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, they sound lovely! Can't wait to make them for my husband who's eating low cal and can't resist biscuits which are mostly rubbish! I'm eating low carb so will stick with my strawberry muffins!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!
  • AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is great! Much better than loading up with the normal granola bars I usually eat.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try these...thanks for sharing :)
  • kajune16th
    Options
    bump
  • cassieSomething
    cassieSomething Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank You! i'll definitely make them soon!
  • lins_q
    lins_q Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Saving for later!
  • soliver854
    Options
    I am not familiar with the Schwartz mixed spice. Can you clue me in?