Weight Watchers HELP

Options
Hi Everyone

I recently started weight wtchers (Week one Done Today) I gained 1.2 Pounds(Gasp!) I have been working pretty hard the past week, but i am having a hard time EATING ALLLLLLL The points that im susposed to. One day i had 14 points reamining. the rest of the day 6-7 points.

Can anyone give me any tips on eating while on weight watchers. I dont want this gain the first week to discourage me.

Any help is welcome

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to the Weight Watchers website as they have forums just like here.

Personally I don't like Weight Watchers (at least their old plan... not sure if they changed it) because you don't count points for fruits and veggies. I would never lose weight if I didn't count those calories.

Try eating all your points and see if that helps. Have full calorie versions of foods if you can't actually eat more... eat nuts, nut butters, add oils, etc.

Also, when you lose weight regardless of which technique you use you may not lose each and every week. I dislike WW tracking as well because you couldn't track your sodium.. sodium can affect your weight loss a lot.
  • brendddda
    Options
    I don't know much about Weight Watchers, but I can tell you that it is common to see water weight gain during the first week or so of a eating or exercising differently. I would suggest continuing for another few weeks before you start worrying, you will likely see those 1.2 lbs and more come off once your body adjusts. Good luck!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Maybe open your diary and let us see what you are eating?
  • Leahnh
    Leahnh Posts: 30
    Options
    Whithout knowing exactly what you are eating it's hard to say but I'd suggest more lean protein like chicken and fish.... it has points but it's still good for you.
  • rheamanda
    rheamanda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am also enrolled in the WW program, however I use MFP to track calories to make sure that what I am eating is good points and not junk points. I know they say that WW is more than a diet it is a lifestyle of eating smaller portions and controlling binge eating...but I strongly believe everyone is different. My profile says I have lost 40 something pounds, but I am actually at a total of 78 since I started WW in October of 2011. (Joined MFP in Jan of 2012) It took a lot of trial and error and for me, I had to learn to eat lower sodium foods, and limit breads...even if I had enough calories or points for a yummy dinner roll. Everybody is different and if you give up now, you will never know what does work for you.
  • scarlet_afire
    Options
    Often if you're doing strength training your muscles will retain some water to repair themselves, but that goes for any kind of workout. If you're sore, chances are you're retaining water--which is fine, it's normal and it's healthy. Make sure you are getting all the H20 your body needs every day (I shoot for 8-10 8oz glasses) and the water weight will work itself off once your body is confident that you are going to stay hydrated. Just keep going, next week you'll probably see a more significant loss. I follow WW too. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

^^This! That group is the perfect place for you on MFP.

Oh, and this:

Happy Birthday!

dancing_couple.gif
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I did WW for about 4 years and lost some weight, but it took a very long time. I had a hard time counting points and really didn't like the system. I'm doing much better counting calories with MFP. My suggestion would be to talk to your group leader if you are going to meetings or check in at a WW website for assistance. Good luck!
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been doin' WW360 for about 3 weeks, and the first week was a very small loss, but the next week when I was gettin' the hang of it more, I lost 4 lbs, and this past week I lost little over a pound. I have had trouble eating my points if I am eating a lot of fruit and veggies, which I think can't be such a bad thing. I love this because you can pretty much eat as much fruit and veggies as you want without it adding points, so if you're still hungry and have reached your points, you can still eat them and not feel guilty for goin' over.
    Could it be water retention that is contributin' to the weight gain? Also, workin' out and gainin' muscle mass adds weight. ( I don't know if you've been workin' out or if a week of workin' out would make a difference, but it's somethin' to keep in mind).
    At any rate, don't get discouraged! Keep at it and your bound to see results. Feel free to add me if you need support!
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I too am curious what you are eating too. My first week on weight watchers four years ago was very inspiring. I lost 50 lbs on Weight Watchers, put some back on since then. My weight loss shown on MFP doesn't include my previous weight loss. If you don't want to open your diary for us to see, I suggest you talking to the a WW person. Good luck! Don't get discourage.
  • danie2010dw
    danie2010dw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the info

I havent used myfitpal diary in while. I may be jumping my gun a little bit i just dont want to loose my new found motivation...but i guess if i think i worked hard last week i can allways work even harder this week.

the ww meeting lady also sugguested i eat the full fat items of the things im making fat free since i have a larger points plus value(37) so i will try tht as well.

I have certainly increased my intake of fruits and veggies but not being able to count them is kinda wierd i have a problem with not eating then binge eating on things that are bad. so WW is helping me make better eating choices. and making sure im actually eating at the right times.

ill check tht group out as well

Thanks Again. :)
  • tarajoneill
    tarajoneill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had great success with WW the first time around. After they changed to Points Plus I had four weeks of gaining 3-5 lbs each week. When I asked for help at meeting and was told to eat more fruit which I did and kept on gaining. I eventually gave up. I started using MFP and realized that sugar intake was INSANE, because of all this extra fruit I was told to eat because it was 'free.' The first week that I stayed in sugar range I was down and have been consistent down for 4 months. I never paid attention to the sugar before and was amazed. Make sure you eat all your points -- go for nuts as a quick snack that takes a lot of points. Good luck.

• macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned I do the old ww plan where fruits have points and you still portion out veggies. I will always remember the WW couselor saying it isn't the large apple that makes you fat! You mentioned you are not using MFP diary. Maybe take what you have logged on your WW log into MFP and see what comes up. Also, my diary shows WW points too. You can search how to do that on MFP or Google. Again good luck.
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been in the WW Points Plus system sine Oct2011 (fell off the bandwagon in Fall 2012 since work challenges got in the way), but my leader often said to folks in my group with higher PP values that the bare minimum PP value (a woman at an ideal weight for her height) is 26 points. Make sure you at least get 26 points a day, I suspect that's probably similar to MFP's minimum 1200 cal for smaller women. 26 points is a very difficult adjustment, I got down to it last year and I had to dip into my weekly PP allowance to be able to feel satisfied at bedtime. The problem was that I liked using my weekly points for weekends since I spend a lot of time with friends and eating out on weekends. Keep in mind that as your weight comes down your daily PP target will gradually come down to the eventual 26 which also forces you to add activity into the mix if you want any kind of extra foods.

I do recommend tracking here at MFP so you know how much "free" fruits/veggies you're getting. And really understand what "kind" of points you're eating. Are you using the WW Power Foods (green triangle in the book/app) they are your 'bang for the buck" and are often whole grains or higher protein which take longer to digest and keep you full.

Also another thing that can bump me up is PMS a week before and during my period I usually gain 1-2lbs and then after my cycle is over I have a big loss week.

Keep up the tracking, do not get discouraged, and definitely make sure to get your minimum points in so that you're feeding your body what it needs to just be alive.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Oh Gah... these people and their zero point food bashing can go away.

First of all you NEED to eat all your points just like you NEED to eat all your calories. If I am having a day where I am low on points I get the PB just like I do when I was counting calories over here. 1 TBS of PB is 3 points... eat some nuts, eat more food period.. 14 points is a lot to not be eating. also you have been working hard. This COULD be water retention and not a true gain.

Are you focusing on the number too much? I know when I first started I was focusing on the number of points rather than just eating and was having a hard time hitting my goals as I was worried I would go over... I didn't take into account that I was still working out and everythign else on top. I stopped worrying about the number and average about 29 points a day - unless it is an off day and I think my max was 35 points.y do.

I track calories over here and I track my ww points because I am anal and I like knowing exactly how many calories I can get for how many points - PS - I can get almost 1900 calories for 33 points(which after I exercise is about the right amount). The "free" fruits and veggies are the way to get you to choose healthy snacks - yes they are zero points, and YES you could fill up on fruits and veggies and never eat anything else but you are just going to get sick. I eat just as many fruits and veggies now as I did before the only difference is when faced with "do I want this 80 calorie cookie for 3 points....or this 80 calorie apple for 0 points leaving me with more room for dinner" I will ultimatly take the apple which is a by far better choice - not just for the numbers but nutritionally as well.
  • danie2010dw
    danie2010dw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary i added my food from today tht i plann on eating. this day is pretty typical.
  • VibrantKrystle
    VibrantKrystle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used WW for 1 1/2 years and lost 20lbs and have managed to keep it off. Just always remember just because the fruit and veggies are FREE points doesn't mean you need to eat the whole banana tree. Just a banana...LOL That's what the lady at the meetings always said and it made sense. Without knowing what you eat on a day to day, you shouldn't have to many points left over. and it's ok if you, they want you to stay close to that number.
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks very healthy to me, but that wouldn't keep me full for long. You could try using regular eggs in the morning and getting the regular laughing cow and salami. Or instead of Ritz you could make a sandwich with wheat bread with the cheese and salami? Peanut Butter is delicious on apples, you can pop it in the microwave for a couple of seconds to make it more dip-able. Hummus is great dip for carrots as well and packed with protein. I think one serving of Hummus (2 tbsp) is around 5 points.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Another way to look at fruits/vegs in WW is to eat your 5 GHG servings at 0 points then count points for anything over that. Try to have more veggies than fruits, at least a 3-2 ratio, as most of your 0 point veggies are lower in calories and/or sugars than an equal portion of fruit.

And no single plan is for everyone. WW works great for some, not so great for others. I personally lost 170 lbs in 13 months on WW. I also see people struggle on it. Stick to the plan for a couple of months to see how it works for you.