Constipation

Options

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Fiber is key and you are not getting enough looking over your last week or so of diaries. Add a small side salad to your lunch with lots of dark leafy greens. It will help your body get nutrients it needs and help move things along. Also water make sure you drink lots of water, whatever your drinking add more. Water aids digestion.

I would also try to stay away from ww meals, lean cuisine with and other processed foods they are probably not helping you.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This could very well be TMI but I'm looking for some advice. I never had any problems before and then I changed my diet on Jan 1st. I went to 1200 calories a day. And now I've noticed over the past couple of weeks my bowel movements have been less and less. I'm worried that I'm depriving my body of so much food that it's messing up my system? I drink a ton of water a day and have my 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I'm exercising and I'm taking fiber choice chewables to get more fiber and I started taking a multi vitamin. I'm going to take some colace tonight in hopes of nipping it in the butt and hopefully it'll work itself out after that but does anyone have an answer as to why I'd be having problems and what I can do to correct it for the long term?

There's such a thing as too much fiber, and adding too much too quickly can cause cramping, gas, and constipation. You only need about 25g. If you're taking a ton of extra fiber and not drinking a ton of extra water on top of it, you can develop intestinal blockages (rare, but it happens). I started taking and eating a lot of fiber a few years ago before I had my gall bladder taken out (like 40-50g), and I didn't have a BM for weeks at a time despite drinking a ton of water, eating lots of veggies, etc. How much fiber are you getting everyday?

I would try easing off the chewables. See what happens.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie a day diet as well and I run 5-6 miles a day with strength training and stretching. It's a healthy diet for an athlete. Try eating oatmeal in the mornings with your coffee.

Do you mean 1200 total for the day or do you also eat back your exercise cals from running and strength training?
  • jack1925
    jack1925 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This could very well be TMI but I'm looking for some advice. I never had any problems before and then I changed my diet on Jan 1st. I went to 1200 calories a day. And now I've noticed over the past couple of weeks my bowel movements have been less and less. I'm worried that I'm depriving my body of so much food that it's messing up my system? I drink a ton of water a day and have my 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I'm exercising and I'm taking fiber choice chewables to get more fiber and I started taking a multi vitamin. I'm going to take some colace tonight in hopes of nipping it in the butt and hopefully it'll work itself out after that but does anyone have an answer as to why I'd be having problems and what I can do to correct it for the long term?

There's such a thing as too much fiber, and adding too much too quickly can cause cramping, gas, and constipation. You only need about 25g. If you're taking a ton of extra fiber and not drinking a ton of extra water on top of it, you can develop intestinal blockages (rare, but it happens). I started taking and eating a lot of fiber a few years ago before I had my gall bladder taken out (like 40-50g), and I didn't have a BM for weeks at a time despite drinking a ton of water, eating lots of veggies, etc. How much fiber are you getting everyday?

I would try easing off the chewables. See what happens.

Not enough fiber could very well be my problem. Or part of it at least. The chewables only give me 3 grams of fiber...
  • jack1925
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie a day diet as well and I run 5-6 miles a day with strength training and stretching. It's a healthy diet for an athlete. Try eating oatmeal in the mornings with your coffee.

Do you mean 1200 total for the day or do you also eat back your exercise cals from running and strength training?

I always eat back my calories.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yogi Get Regular Herbal Tea does the trick for me. I just drink a cup at night and wake up to an emergency evacuation in the morning. After that I am good to go.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I always had a problem staying regular, sometimes a whole weekend, then I found this site. I ordered the Formula 1. You take a pill, or 2 depending, right after dinner and you'll have a BM in the morning. I don't really stay regular without it. It's all herbal, so no side effects . Having regular BM is crucial to your health. And drink more water.
    https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php/?c=1

These products contain senna, which is one of the harshest laxatives around. Use it too often, and your bowels won't be able to eliminate without stimulation. Just because something is "herbal" doesn't mean that it's safe or good to you. Poison ivy and hemlock are both herbal, and they have side effects out the wazoo.

Products with added fiber, like Fiber One, may not give the same bang for your buck as naturally occurring fiber. Bran flakes, prunes and prune juice, berries, lentils, and beans are all high fiber. You can also use chia seeds as an additive in food to increase your fiber for very little calories.

Eggs and dairy are very constipating; avoid them for a coup.e of days and see if it makes a difference.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I also used miralax at one point when it got unbearable. I was able to start going after a few days of taking it and haven't had much trouble since. I've found that I have to relax early in the mornings or I will not go all day. I've actually started waking up 30 minutes early just to relax. It cuts into my sleeping time but I would rather poop one good time than sleep for 30 more minutes.

I second the Miralax suggestion. You can get it generic at stores like Target or Walgreens for much cheaper.

Getting enough fiber, drinking enough water, and coffee all help, too. But hands down, Miralax!

I take it regularly myself as I experience the same problem for years on a gluten free diet.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I always eat back my calories.

Oh no, I was asking the person who wrote that statement.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I found that when I started Weight Watchers a few years ago and started eating veggies, veggies, and more veggies, it changed everything -- I sleep better, I have fewer migraines and they're less severe, and I have a much better digestive routine. A lot of people on WW commented that when they really ate their veggies, they often went more than once a day. You want things moving through your system smoothly.
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Add more fruits and veggies to your diet and lots and LOTS of water. Also try eliminating some dairy. One of the more surprising things I found about going vegan was that I never, ever get constipated (even though I take a med that previously had me bound up like crazy!)

I realize not everyone has the inclination to drop meat and dairy from their diet, but if you chuck even some of the dairy off and add more fibrous things (namely, plants) then it should help considerably. :)

Good luck!

A GREAT vegan choice is beans!!!! Lots of fiber...and protein too!!
  • Catwoman1037
    Catwoman1037 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is a very appropriate post!!! I am in my 40's and have had constipation problems since I was a baby according to my mother. I am gluten intolerant so I cannot eat much fiber through grains. I also have to take iron pills, so that adds to my problem. I have found some herbal teas that help. A few years ago I found my wonderful answer!!! I started taking an herb called Tam. You can take up to six a day. I take one each night and sometimes two. It is my miracle pill!!! You can find it in some health food stores. I order it online and it is a little cheaper. I know being contipated is one of the most horrible feelings!!! Good luck on getting healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    another easy high fiber food is coconut flour. I add it to my smoothies to boost fiber content. Even though I get enough all natural fiber (no need for supplements, I eat a lot of whole foods like beans, chia, salads, etc), I still struggle with constipation. I find overall, enough fluids and Miralax are my saving graces.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is too little for most people, unless you are quite short in stature. You may want to increase your intake for this reason as well as other reasons. Of course it is also likely that if you are eating better choices, you may simply be pooping less because there is less to poop... aka, a greater amount of the food you are eating is actually being used by your body for nutritional purposes.
  • jack1925
    Options
    1200 calories is too little for most people, unless you are quite short in stature. You may want to increase your intake for this reason as well as other reasons. Of course it is also likely that if you are eating better choices, you may simply be pooping less because there is less to poop... aka, a greater amount of the food you are eating is actually being used by your body for nutritional purposes.

I am actually quite short... 4'11", lol.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    So, perhaps more TMI, but when I'm on a low fat diet for even just a couple weeks and then go and eat something really fatty (usually involving some kind of meat) I notice I will have the opposite problem as you are having the next day... so I suspect that as your body is adjusting to a low fat diet it may temporarily not be providing the lubricant (fat) that it needs to your digestive system. I would follow the advice of others and do what you can to relieve it (staying away from laxatives - if you feel you want to try something make it a natural supplement) and if it doesn't work itself out in a timely matter it's time to talk to your doc.
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    As my step mother told me when I had this issue a few weeks ago: 'Eat like a bird, poop like a bird'. LOL.

But seriously, she gave me a serving of dried prunes, quite tasty and effective within a few hours. Good luck.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I do have a good idea for this! I too had the same issue. Dr.Oz recommends taking PGX twice a day (his own family does it too)
    It can be used for weightloss, but don't bother with that. Do it the natural way like you are being on here.

Anyways! Long story short PGX is a fibre pill (not pricey either) i take one every morning, yep just 1 a day and it keeps me regular! I got the info from my dad after i listened to him say "You'll never have a crappy crap again"

He was right. Best idea yet! Feel free to message me or check my blog for more tips! http://feelgreatmotivate.wordpress.com/
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take some colace tonight in hopes of nipping it in the butt

This might be my favourite typo of all time.

Are you tracking fiber? I have noticed that sometimes the more fiber i eat the more trouble I have, although I generally eat around 25 grams a day. I seem to do a bit better when I'm below 15, or even 10. Not sure why that is, and i'm trying to figure out if it's a difference between soluble and insoluble fiber.

That, and a magnesium supplement might help.
  • Ingadinga
    Ingadinga Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Be careful with some of the suggestions here, as overuse of stool softeners, magnesium, and Miralax can cause more harm than good.

I have suffered with constipation for years, and I find if I eat/drink anything fermented I will usually have a bowel movement in a couple days. Beer especially works for me as well as kefir. (Not Miller Lite, but good microbrews) I haven’t been eating/drinking much fermented foods lately and my constipation is horrible at the moment… Hmmm maybe I should have a beer tonight…

As for my own recent experiments:
    I am trying to drink warm water with 1 tsp Apple Cider vinegar, lemon, and a little salt immediately in the morning this week.
    I also recommend trying milled flaxseed, it seems a lot of people on the WWW have had success with it; I am just now trying it, so my own results are TBD. I was told by my doctor to use Benefiber, which he told me I could use for life, but it doesn't work for me anymore. I know that Chia seeds don’t work for me either, but they do for others.

I hope your constipation is alleviated soon!