Question about eating enough

Options
Hello Everyone!

I realize it is important to eat healthy to lose weight and less than in the past. I am just now learning to eat enough to lose weight. On myfitnesspal it gives you an estimate of how many calories you should consume a day. Can you eat whatever you want as long as it does not go over your calorie intake for the day?

Thank you!

Replies

• hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think you will get various answers to this question, but I am of the opinion that the quality of the calories really does matter not just in weight loss but for overall health and fitness. It is easily possible to eat your entire caloric goal sticktly on junk food and take out. I ate this way for much of my upbringing (and college!). However, I now eat mainly what I call "real food" (lean meats, grains, veggies, fruits in thier natural form, minimally processed). All I can tell you is from personal experience. I have more energy when I eat this way, my skin/nails/hair look better and I feel amazing. I really don't know how I functioned when I was eating junk food all the time. So my suggestion: Eat mainly real food and not only will you feel fuller because you can eat more volume of food, but you might feel better all-around. Just my 2 cents. =)
  • AmandaJW1981
    AmandaJW1981 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think you will get various answers to this question, but I am of the opinion that the quality of the calories really does matter not just in weight loss but for overall health and fitness. It is easily possible to eat your entire caloric goal sticktly on junk food and take out. I ate this way for much of my upbringing (and college!). However, I now eat mainly what I call "real food" (lean meats, grains, veggies, fruits in thier natural form, minimally processed). All I can tell you is from personal experience. I have more energy when I eat this way, my skin/nails/hair look better and I feel amazing. I really don't know how I functioned when I was eating junk food all the time. So my suggestion: Eat mainly real food and not only will you feel fuller because you can eat more volume of food, but you might feel better all-around. Just my 2 cents. =)

I totally agree with this
  • Conorfitz92
    Options

This exactly.

When thinking of weight loss and your body, there's two main concerns:

Body Composition.
    Health.

In terms of Body composition, yes you can eat what you like as long as you're still in a caloric deficit. You will still lose weight. However, doing so will have terrible effects on your health. You'll feel less energetic, skin with will get worse (In my opinion) and generally not feel great.

My advice is to eat mainly good nutritious food but don't be afraid to treat yourself every so often. If your friends invite you out to a meal once a week, eat it! It's not going to affect your overall health as long as you're still in a deficit. But if you want to feel good AND lose weight, I'd suggest structuring your diet around "good" food.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I realize it is important to eat healthy to lose weight and less than in the past. I am just now learning to eat enough to lose weight. On myfitnesspal it gives you an estimate of how many calories you should consume a day. Can you eat whatever you want as long as it does not go over your calorie intake for the day?

Thank you!

Yes is the short answer, a couple of jam doughnuts & a bag of chips will do, but it is not wise, much better to have a salad, with perhaps grilled salmon

Your choice
  • nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i agree you should use your calories wisely and eat "real food" so you get the nutrients etc that your body needs. That being said, Ive had messed up day and out of my 1200 calories I have eaten only 300. This leaves me 900 for dinner.....so tonight I am treating myself to some chicken fingers n wedges to help me make up the calories!

Mondays are my weigh in days too so I feel I can allow myself this "treat" as Ive been 100% "clean" eating for over 3 weeks :)
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

This exactly.

When thinking of weight loss and your body, there's two main concerns:

Body Composition.
    Health.

In terms of Body composition, yes you can eat what you like as long as you're still in a caloric deficit. You will still lose weight. However, doing so will have terrible effects on your health. You'll feel less energetic, skin with will get worse (In my opinion) and generally not feel great.

My advice is to eat mainly good nutritious food but don't be afraid to treat yourself every so often. If your friends invite you out to a meal once a week, eat it! It's not going to affect your overall health as long as you're still in a deficit. But if you want to feel good AND lose weight, I'd suggest structuring your diet around "good" food.

All of this!
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options

totally agree with this :)
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    Short yourself on protein you lose muscle (no one wants to be skinny fat!). Short yourself on fat your hormones go out of whack (mood, fat loss, energy etc). Short yourself on carbs your energy suffers and you get headaches, workout performance suffers. All calories are not equal, they are just a measurement of macros.

Calories are far less important than hitting your macros, but you must maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • Trav2013
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!