RUNNERS HELP! BAD BAD knee pain?!?!?

Options
hello! So I'm 22 years old and I've ran in the past (although it's been a while due to weather etc I've switched to the elliptical) recently, after running 1 mile my knee is in SOOO MUCH PAIN on the outer side of my knee. It's bad, I pushed through to just finish 2 miles today. My goal was just 2, and to up it gradually as I've read that's the best way. I love running...I know some might say "you are 22 yo udon't want to hurt your knees now"

but for my fellow runners..I get that runners high. I feel acomplished. I feel like an athlete, my body tones up best after jogging.

Anyone experience this or know what I could do?

**side notes, this is on a treadmill (i've never experienc treadmill problems in the past). I dont' know if I should wait til summer, pop ibprofen, run slower, etc ;( Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If it's bad enough that you can't run or walk without pain you should see a doctor. I tried to push through some calf pain once and ended up tearing the tendon. That took me out for a few weeks and was so not worth it..
  • zephyrhythm
    zephyrhythm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    never continue when the pain is BAD! ibuprofen, ice, and rest it from 1 to 2 weeks - if it isn't getting better in a few days, then see a dr.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fairly typical IT band inflammation. They make a compression band (neoprene, I think) that wraps around the top of your knee that should help. Also, foam rolling on the outside of your thigh (hurts so good!) should help to loosen that up. Google "IT band knee pain" and see if it matches and what's recommended.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I agree, could be IT band issues. I actually injured my IT band during childbirth (of all things!) and needed physical therapy to heal.

In general, though, I wouldn't "push through" bad pain, I'd stop. I routinely push through a little nag here and there, but never bad pain. That's how injuries happen!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    IT band or patellofemoral syndrome... I was diagnosed with the latter, unfortunately, because I am a runner, the doctor just wrote me off as having runner's knee (patellofemoral syndrome). However, went for a second opinion a few months later because the pain came back on my first run after months off and he sent me for an MRI and it turns out I have a meniscal tear. I had a fall which probably caused this.
    Find either a doctor who runs or a sports medicine doctor...
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I was thinking IT band as well. I would go see a doctor or physiotherapist and take it easy until you get an answer and a recommendation for treatment.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Make sure your shoes are fitting right. When I run in the wrong pair of shoes I will get knee and shin pain. When my shoes are right I have zero pain.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am the king of knee problems and I agree sounds like an IT band issue but you never know it could be a torn meniscus too.. I would still suggest a visit to an Ortho doctor if it persists. I use Kinesio taping for multiple problems and it helps.. Google it and you will find info on it... Rest, Elevate, and Ice it for now... Best of Luck..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    ITB syndrome is one of the only knee issues that present as lateral outside knee pain. Google ITB (Iliotibial band) stretches and foam roll it. Rest it for a while and rehab it with the stretches and rolling. From now on, do these things preventatively.

From now on DO NOT PUSH THROUGH KNEE PAIN! ITB pain tends to feel better as you run, but it can change your gait and cause other cascading joint issues. Knee pain always needs to be dealt with, not run through.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    IT band or patellofemoral syndrome...

My thoughts too. My feet really overpronate which means the kneecap doesn't track properly, causing damage and pain.

Anti-inflammatories from my doctor didn't help so I saw a physio and podiatrist. Three visits, stretching and strengthening exercises to do and some orthotics later I was back on my feet and running.

Bottom line is you need to get professional advice and not run the risk of doing long-term damage.

Hope you get it sorted.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    as others have said a likely culprit is IT band, your knees are not a good candidate for self diagnosis.

Foam roller, stretching, strengthening, and REST / Ice is the only way out of these types of injuries. You have to be patient and disciplined about taking the steps to heal up an address the root cause.

it is frustrating as hell, but running through the pain, skipping stretches rolling ... will just prolong recovery.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If it's a stabbing pain on the outside part of the knee it's likely IT band syndrome. I had horrible IT band pain in the past. All through the police academy many years ago, and again more recently when I took up trail running a couple years ago. For me, the situation was directly related to my foot strike and my shoes.

Before the police academy I ran almost every night to prepare. I ran in some old beat up cross-trainers with not much cushioning. No problems. During the 1st week of the academy, the training officer noticed my beat up old shoes and suggested I go out and get some proper running shoes because we would be doing a lot of running. So I took his advice. On the very first run in my new shoes I developed a stabbing pain in my outer knee and couldn't continue. I exchanged the shoes for a different pair and ran with a knee brace for the rest of the academy and didn't have any further serious issues. I don't know if the brace helped or not, but at the time I wasn't sure of the problem and didn't want to risk failing the academy because I couldn't complete the runs.

Fast forward to about 2 years ago. I got back into running and started trail running, which of course includes a lot of uphill and downhill running. I got myself some new trail running shoes with a nice thick cushy heel and after a short time the horrible knee pain returned. I couldn't get a mile before I had to walk because of the pain. It was the worst when running downhill (which from what I learned is telltale for IT band syndrome). I tried a brace again but it didn't help.

So then I started to do some research and ran across the concepts of barefoot and minimalist running and read a lot of anecdotal information about people experiencing relief from a multitude of issues. So I bit the bullet and go myself some minimalist trail shoes (New Balance Minimus MT10 to be exact). I also did a few stretches before my runs. The IT band syndrome completely disappeared and the downhills no longer caused problems because the thin soles allow a proper midfoot landing since there was no thick heel cushion that would strike the ground first. Now I don't even do the stretches, I just use minimal shoes for both street and trail running. The problem has not returned at all even with trail runs as long as 10.5 miles.

Everyone is different, but if this problem is plaguing you like it was me, it might be really worth your while to try out some minimalist shoes and let your feet land and move the way they were designed to. Good luck!
  • zephyrhythm
    zephyrhythm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    http://coastalsportsmedicine.com/downloads/coastal-iliotibial-band.pdf
    I just got over an IT Band strain - the above web site was good info
  • fireguy123469
    fireguy123469 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and an avid runner as well. I also have outer knee pain on my right knee. I went to the ortho and he confirmed it was in ITB injury. He recommended I get new shoes. I rested it for a week and bought a new pair of shoes. 2 months later and I am not experiencing the pain. It's all in the shoes.
  • Scalvak
    Scalvak Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just started physical therapy (as in yesterday) for knee issues, and the first thing she said to me was "shoes and stretching". I may have patellar tracking disorder (maybe - one doc says I do, another says I probably don't) but the sports doc says a big part of it is the IT Band. My symptoms are knee popping (a LOT, but not during running), knee catching, pain under and around the knee caps (both knees, and sometimes radiating into my thighs, sometimes down my shins), and a bad bruised sensation down the outer side of my right thigh.

Sooo, I'm doing PT ordered exercises to strengthen hamstrings and loosen the IT Band.. and I'm getting new shoes very soon (which always makes me happy!)

See a doctor. Good luck to you!
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If the pain is that bad, probably go see a doctor!!
  • Carpediem117
    Options
    Thank you guys!!! My friend mentioned the IT band, I never heard of it but hopefully it may help. :) I appreciate the insight!
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Runnersworld has some good stretches for IT Band pain - a week of stretching fixed me right up.