New Scale/ 10lb gain.

Options
I thought I just needed to change the battery in my scale, but no luck.

So I pulled out another one that I’ve had awhile but barely used….

It apparently hates me - - - it weighed me at nearly 10lbs more than I was at my last weigh in. ( A little over a week ago)

I haven’t checked it’s accuracy - but I’m more concerned with where to start, I’ve been using my old scale for years.

Replies

• Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Maybe weigh yourself on a friends's scale to see if the weight reads the same? Or maybe you can pop by our doctors office and ask to use theirs for a second? I've been looking into getting a new scale myself. I have the old style one with a dial but I need to get on and off it 5 times to get a reading. It's never the same twice!
  • jimtybod
    jimtybod Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that my scale is a filthy liar too. First thing is to calibrate it against a scale that should be accurate (dr's office???)

Other thing is to rely less on your mass and more on your measurements. Get a cheap measuring tape and take the readings, I theres theres an app that helps you track it (gym goal?) That way you know that the 5-10 lbs you think you are over on didn't go to your waist or something.:tongue:
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i always weighed on my friends scale so decided that it was time to get one for myself (hers died), my scale i bought is digital and an expensive one so i thought it would show the correct weight.
    I got on it to see that id gained 10lbs too!! I was horrified, i weighed in the three different settings and the kg and lbs showed me a correct weight once converted into stone but the stones showed a 10lb gain!
    Needless to say i convinced myself that id put that much weight on it was officially the worst weigh in ever!.
    It told me three different numbers in three go's i was so disheartened so ive not got back on them because i know this scale actually hates me its evil lol, my clothes still fit well if not better and measurements are going down.
    The scale is a tool to make sure your heading the right way but go by clothes etc :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is why do they always say 10 pounds gained? They never seem to err on the side of 10 pounds lower or any increment other than 10 pounds. I think it's some kind of conspiracy!

If you have any weights you could weigh those and see what your scale says. I have a 25 pound weight I use so if the scale says 25 pounds I know we're good. Otherwise I know how to calibrate it. If you don't have weights use something that you know the weight of like a 10 pound bag of sugar or flour.
  • cqp1
    cqp1 Posts: 41
    Options
    Scales are a pain. My home scale varies between 15 pounds (240-255) depending on how I stand. I use the largest number to track. Yesterday went to the dr and that scaled put me at 12 pounds more than the largest number at home. Talk about depressing. The plus though was at least the dr looked at my record and thought I had lost three pounds from last year.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Check your accuracy with a dumbbell. Then you'll know for a fact whether you've got a real reading or not.
  • fluffypetal
    Options
    Check your accuracy with a dumbbell. Then you'll know for a fact whether you've got a real reading or not.

That is a flipping good idea Batman as the same thing happened to me today. New scales = 10lb weight increase !! Weird how it happens alot to people and it's also 10lb !!

:flowerforyou:

Thanks

Annie xx
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I switched from an analog/spring scale to a digital scale it showed an increase of 6lbs. And that was a side by side comparison when I got the new scale, not with any days in between. So since I knew that I was going to be using the digital scale only from then on, I just came here and changed all of my weight entries by 6lbs. Then my loss was still the same from starting to when I got the new scale, it just meant I had an extra six pounds to lose to reach my overall goal.

Oddly, I never did toss the old scale, and every now and again I check the difference and it's always exactly six pounds lower than my digital. :)
  • ParanSkies
    Options
    Our family used a cheap scale for years and we never knew that it was off by 6-7 pounds. As a result, I became obese without me even knowing it! The digital scale at the gym had a more accurate reading, but I guess I was in denial so I really didn't want to believe it. I did a test with a 5 (or was it 10?) lb dumbbell and the scale was only off by 1-2 pounds so I thought it shouldn't be that inaccurate. We finally got a digital scale and I was really discouraged when I saw that I was a lot heavier! But like a poster said above me, it doesn't change how much you've already lost. It will just take a little longer to get to your goal weight :)
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input guys!!!!

I'm about to test it now, even if it IS accurate and my old scale was just nicer to me, 22 lbs lost is 22 lbs lost no matter where I started. I've got to remind myself of that! :)