New to this but really need a life change.... hoping this he

Options
Hi everyone!
Today is the first day of trying to make a change.
I’m 25 years old and I’m turning 26 at the end of the month and I realized today while looking on Facebook that I hate the way I look in pictures and I feel so sluggish and I need to change. I want to feel better and look better. I love cooking and I love eating what I cook, but the truth is that it’s not about eating, it’s about emotionally eating. My mom died about a year and half ago and I got married a few months later. I have put on weight since then but I have been steadily putting on weight since I was a teenager.
My goal is to lose around 100 pounds. Not right away of course but as long as it takes to lose it and get to a healthy weight, but more than anything it’s to feel good in my own skin and hopefully help with my health problems. I know 100lbs sounds like a lot but I’m only 5 feet tall and I weigh right now somewhere around 230lbs (I think).
I think this is the first time I’m saying any of this out-loud to anyone. Thank you so much for listening, I’m scared but hopeful.

Replies

• Ethansmom
    Ethansmom Posts: 2
    Options
    Good Luck to you! Just remember-one step at a time, you will get to your goal as long as you put in the effort!
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to start now. It is so much harder as you get older. this is a wonderful site - I just joined a few weeks ago, had a vacation in there, so didn't really loose anything yet, but full steam ahead! You can do this, your mind set is great and you realize you need to do this. Sorry about your Mom, it is so hard.... good luck and stick with it!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Looks like we are all making the change together. I was so tired of exercising without losing anything, and figured my food intake was the best place to start. Found this program through my iPhone and it has been a huge help in getting me into the right mindset to lose weight. I think it will be something I can stick with!
  • JenS2009
    JenS2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the first step! This website has been so helpful... when you really stick to the calorie limits and exercise. I have seen so many people (including myself) try crash diets, pills, starvations, liquid diets, blah blah. Honestly, and truthfully, it is good ole diet and exercise that gets the weight off and KEEPS it off when you stick with it. It is so hard to get going, but once you see that scale start to move and you notice your clothes fitting differently, it is SO worth it. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
  • bethcpe
    bethcpe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This will definately help! I was at my breaking point as well....I am about to turn 30 and i had a baby nine months ago. I do not want to be 30 and fat!! Be honest about what you eat, count and measure out your portions and you will lose. I started Easter weekend and I have lost 7 lbs so far. I am also 5 foot and I feel like being short makes me look bigger than I really am. It has been a struggle to eat healthy with all of the temptations out there. Be patient and you will definately succeed! You made the first step by joining....Good Luck!
  • tleigh
    tleigh Posts: 58
    Options
    Welcome! I just joined a couple off weeks ago, and so far MFP has been a very positive experience. It is great to hear from other people going through the same things. Good luck!! Feel free to add me if you need some extra encouragement.
  • ZiaLater
    ZiaLater Posts: 23
    Options
    I have 100lbs to lose as well and if I can do it, so can you!! I've lost close to 20lbs since March 3rd when I joined this site. Once you see what you eat, why you eat and how you should eat, the time will fly by and so will the pounds. I've been a big girl pretty much my entire life and I plan on hitting the beaches of Jamaica for my 40th birthday in 2012 (before the world ends...lmao) and I am prepared to take it day by day and do the best I can for me. I have only ONE BODY, ONE LIFE and I CHOOSE TO LIVE!!! Good luck and you have all of here for support :)

PS....check into wheat addiction. I discovered that wheat is my biggest enemy next to sugar.
  • queensara2478
    Options
    You are definately in the right place and you have the right mindset to do this. I am sorry to hear about your loss! My advice to you is to stay true to yourself, remind yourself why you're doing this at least everyday, and when you fall, pick yourself back up and start again. It will be easy at times and hard at times but don't give up! We are all here to support you on your journey!
  • MyDream
    MyDream Posts: 72
    Options
    Sorry to here about the loss of your mom. And kudos to you for joining MFP and the journey to health. I have over 100lbs to lose and just started (re-started) MFP a little over a week ago. The support on this site is amazing and will get you through day to day hurdles, trust me. Good luck to you and know that there are people here, like you, who understand your need, struggles, and soon accomplishments.

A friend request is coming your way.
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    You are really lucky that you love to cook. That is the best way to be able to control what calories you are getting in and the nutritional value of everything. You just have to make the switch of the kind of foods you cook. There are loads of healthy cook books out there. My favs at the moment are Jillian Michaels's Master You Metabolism cookbook and the Biggest Loser cook book. They are really tasty, easy to make, and all around healthy without being "diet food". Good luck on your journey and welcome to a wonderful support system!
  • izybalizy
    izybalizy Posts: 19
    Options
    This is a great site to help you. Good luck =0)
  • AlexandraNK
    AlexandraNK Posts: 54
    Options
    I love bread! it's become a comfort food.... I'm going to have to control that.. plus i love making bread so we will see what happens.
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome and sorry for your loss. I am also a newbie here so if you want to add me as a buddy we can work on our journey together. You have the right mind set for this journey.
  • ChiWaWaMaMa4
    Options
    Hello!!! So glad to meet you!! I have only been on here about a week & after keeping track & cutting back calories I lost 7 lbs!! I am thrilled!! Good luck & lots of blessings, Shannon