Just need to vent

Options
I've been using the My Fitness Pal app and program for four weeks now, and I've not lost a pound. I've been faithful about counting everything, and estimating amounts as closely as I can when I didn't make the food. Four weeks of counting every single bite I put in my mouth, counting every minute I run or walk - even the one cheat day I allow myself so that I can see just how much damage I'm doing on those days - and not a single pound. Sigh. I know it can take weeks or months to show up, but this is where the motivation flags for me and I just needed to vent.

Thanks

Replies

• SmokinAng
    SmokinAng Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your measurements, not just your weight? Sometimes we lose inches not pounds at first.
  • riddick16
    Options
    I understand your frustration. DO NOT QUIT. It's easy to walk away and say screw it but you are only hurting yourself in the long run. Try to re-evaluate what you've been doing the last month and start fresh. I know you know these things but a 2nd look can't hurt.

Look over your daily logs and see where you could change some things. First and foremost check your daily calorie intake. Make sure it is not excessive to what your goals are. Next substitute high calorie, sugar and fat items with sugar free, high protein and low calorie snacks. And last, make sure you are drinking enough water and exercising; it doesn't have to be hard core exercise but, 30 minutes of walking at your own pace around the block or the mall works wonders. :smile: you can do it !!!!!
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a LOT to lose and I've just lost 3 pounds over the past month, but I have lost several inches already - and I can run without wanting to keel over! If you're doing everything right, you're probably gaining muscle and long term, that's going to help you burn fat and keep your metabolism up. Change up your workout this week, drink as much water as you can stand to drink, change your eating (more protein, more fiber this week) and see if that makes a difference. It's all about what will eventually work for you, you will get there!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that if you are going to make a post like this, you need to open up your diary. People here are very helpful in this regard.

And I would suggest no cheat days. I haven't limited anything. I don't deprive myself. If I want something, I make sure it fits in my macros and goals for the day. There is no cheating. If you are allowing yourself to fall back into old habits once a week, you aren't making the changes to help this become a sustainable lifestyle.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you have followed an eating and exercise program for a month and haven't lost any weight you haven't failed. You've been in maintenance for a slightly higher weight than you want.

In order to lose weight you will have to lower cals, up exercise or do a combination of each. It would also be good to ensure your food diary is accurate. Weigh your food. In the database lookup look for the most common figure per 100 g or 1 oz or whatever measure you choose to use. Don't let your brain trick you into picking the lowest one. :wink:
  • sbecknc
    sbecknc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I didn't track my measurements - All I could find when I started was a metal tape measure, and after slicing both my thigh and my arm trying to take measurements, I let myself quit on that one! :)

As far as the cheat days go, there have been two very special events that I have worked toward for a very long time in the last month. I knew going in that I wanted to enjoy those, and by making the decision up front that I was going to allow myself to enjoy those, it has turned it from "diet" to "choice" and really helped my mindset on the days that I want to cry over having to count every little sip of water I take! So while I hear what you are saying about no cheat days, I am not that devoted to losing weight that I am going to not enjoy things I've worked for for years!

As for the other two, my guidelines for a cheat day is allowing myself to eat things that still fall within my lifestyle and nutritional choices, but go no higher than my daily calorie needs. In my world, that means 1360 on a daily basis and going no higher than 1868 (1556.8. x 1.2 for a sedentary job) on an off day. And I'm trying not to eat back the calories I work out - it happens once or twice, but for the most part, I've been good about not.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm hoping that this is just the frustration before the breakthrough... I'll try not to bother y'all again
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    bother away, that's what the forums are for :) Just because the scale isn't moving doesn't mean you're not getting good benefits from what you're doing. Is your exercise routine easier? Do your clothes fit better? Do you feel different?

And changing the mindset to "This is a special day. I am going to celebrate," instead of eat all the things, all the time, is fantastic!

Keep it up!
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how much are you exercising? If you are over doing it, that might mean you are undereating.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Tip for getting measurements... use a string or yarn or something to measure then mark it and then use the metal one to see results.

It might just be the scale is being mean. Doesn't mean next week you won't lose 2 or 3 pounds even. You just never know when it'll budge.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just to plays devil's advocate if your motivation is loss this is what happens when you dont see the reward you lose motivation. I couldnt be that strict it sets me up for failure.

You can adopt my motivation to be a healthy old lady and hopefully look like sophia loren.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It took a little over a month before I saw any appreciable difference on the scale. Lost 5 inches in that month, though. I agree with other posters - measurements can be a motivation saver.

Also, your patience and trust in the process is commendable. That's how you do it!
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you have followed an eating and exercise program for a month and haven't lost any weight you haven't failed. You've been in maintenance for a slightly higher weight than you want.

I LOVE this! Like the OP, I've been basically the same weight for the whole month... (well, -3.2, +1.6, +1.2, 0)..for an overall loss of .4
  • blackbudrfly
    blackbudrfly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. You may not see the difference in pounds, but as stated before you may see it in inches.... No I am not saying risk your life with the metal tape measure, but just hang in there. You will see a difference and you will feel it as well. :smile:
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I see that you have only 12 pounds to lose. I assume you set a small weight loss per week target. If that is the case it is quite possible that natural fluctuations in your weight will make your progress harder to see. I know my weight can fluctuate for about two pounds from day to day. Fluctuations of five pounds are not unheard of. If you had a day of very salty food it's possible that you are holding water.

People might do better guesses and provide more feedback if you open your diary and tell a little more about yourself (height, weight, exercise, etc)
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I have been here since 09 and I lost 78 pounds but then I fell off the wagon and let the bad things that came by way drag me down ...I am back now with a positive attitude and I will not lose it this time I CAN AND WILL DO IT THIS TIME .....anyways are you tracking sodium? If not maybe track that and like others say measure instead of weigh and drink plenty of water ......GOOD LUCK
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    There are lots of reasons why the scale may not have moved, and very few of them are a sign that you're doing something wrong:

1) it could be the time of day you are weighing and your body being more full or less full;
    2) water retention can fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds in a single day, and you retain water as your menstrual cycle approaches as well as during ovulation;
    3) you may be overestimating your calorie burn based on MFP's often inflated breakdowns and actually eating back too many calories;
    4) calorie counts in food that you are not cooking yourself may have more calories than you think - oils add 100 calories a tablespoon, so dinners out can be a lot more than cooking the same or similar at home.
    5) losing at a rate of a pound a week, but having 4 pounds of water retention, may be hiding your progress.
    6) if you are eating a small amount of a high calorie food, it is very easy to eat 100 or more calories too many and not even realize.

Don't give up. Give it a few more weeks to see how your body reacts before making any major adjustments. A month isn't long enough in the grand scheme of the rest of your life.

Wishing you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    And I would suggest no cheat days. I haven't limited anything. I don't deprive myself. If I want something, I make sure it fits in my macros and goals for the day. There is no cheating. If you are allowing yourself to fall back into old habits once a week, you aren't making the changes to help this become a sustainable lifestyle.

I disagree with this a bit... you have to do what works for you, what you can stick with long term. As long as you don't go crazy on your cheat day and still have a calorie deficit for the week you can still lose weight. Now, if you aren't losing weight maybe your cheat day is pushing you over the top, maybe it needs to be a cheat meal. Or maybe your 'cheat day' also includes an extra workout (do some barganing with yourself, you don't get lasagna for dinner unless you try out that new spin class, etc). And maybe you need a cheat meal now, but long term you probably do want to work towards something a little more consistant.

As for the original reason for your post - every person's body has a different way it 'fights back' when we start a new way of eating and/or exercising. Give yours time to work it out, you WILL see results if you keep going, you won't if you quit. You do not fail until you quit.