Body Fat %

I have a HUGE update. I have periodically had my BMI tested at Curves or other places....with a devise that you hold in your hands outstretched. It is high. Over 50% and the fat percentage always gets an error message. The person helping me never knows what it means. It is totally embarrasing. I hate it. Anyway, I've been working very hard. Down 43 pounds since October 15. Walking 12000 steps per day, eating about 1500 calories / day. Yesterday, I had my measurements done at Curves, and they did the BMI thing, again. My BMI went down to 45.56....down from 48.42. And my body fat % actually registered without an error....49.10%. I'm a happy girl.

Replies

• prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    That's incredible, congratulations! You should be very proud of so much progress (and only since October?!). What is that, almost 15 pounds a month? That's awesome

Sounds like you're really finding a routine that works for you. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll have continued success towards your goals :)
  • Janie_May
    Janie_May Posts: 51 Member
    Good for you--that's great progress!
    I figured out that my home scale measures body fat % too...wish I'd known that for my "official" start on 1/1/13.
  • cedebrooks
    cedebrooks Posts: 41 Member
    That's so awesome! Keep up the good work!
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    I have a HUGE update. I have periodically had my BMI tested at Curves or other places....with a devise that you hold in your hands outstretched. It is high. Over 50% and the fat percentage always gets an error message. The person helping me never knows what it means. It is totally embarrasing. I hate it. Anyway, I've been working very hard. Down 43 pounds since October 15. Walking 12000 steps per day, eating about 1500 calories / day. Yesterday, I had my measurements done at Curves, and they did the BMI thing, again. My BMI went down to 45.56....down from 48.42. And my body fat % actually registered without an error....49.10%. I'm a happy girl.

BMI on a machine? Never heard of it. You can find a hundred calculators that calculate it for you online and they use basic height weight stats. Don't need the person at the gym to do it.
  • Jaywass72
    Jaywass72 Posts: 20 Member
    Awesome!! I track my measurements, body fat %, and BMI along with my weight.

My short term goal is to weigh 179 so my BMI will just be over weight and no longer obese!!!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member

BMI on a machine? Never heard of it. You can find a hundred calculators that calculate it for you online and they use basic height weight stats. Don't need the person at the gym to do it.
    The hand held bio-impedence (Probably spelled totally wrong) measure %bf and Bmi, but the BMI is based on a height, weight and age that you enter into the machine. The Physical Education teacher at the building I teachin uses this machine as part of her grading...

OP! So exciting! I remember how excited I was to go from obese to "merely" overweight. Go You!
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member

The hand held bio-impedence (Probably spelled totally wrong) measure %bf and Bmi, but the BMI is based on a height, weight and age that you enter into the machine. The Physical Education teacher at the building I teachin uses this machine as part of her grading...

OP! So exciting! I remember how excited I was to go from obese to "merely" overweight. Go You!

Absolutely correct. Jeez I'm dumb. I actually have one at home. I use it every now and again and the end of each month. Wow, forgot it was on the read out..... I know it isn't all that accurate, but I just use the BF% number. Wish it was accurate, said 11.5% :)
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Yes BMI u can get from a chart at the doctor's office.
    The hand held devise is about 2% off give or take. Best time to do it is when you haven't eaten in an hour and if u have some muscle, put it on Athlete and not Normal.
    Good job on your loss so far!! Keep it up!!
  • annlsinger
    annlsinger Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks everyone for your support. I totally appreciate it. I look forward to posting when I'm below 40%!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!