Is Fitbit worth it?

Options
I'm considering buying a Fitbit. Is it really worth it! What are the benefits that I wouldn't get from tracking exercise on my own through MFP?

Replies

• sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It is to me, as a motivational tool. I can track everything my Fitbit does, but it helps me want to do more. It is fun to see how many steps I did in a day, etc.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    -I love my fitbit. It motivates me to do more. If you are a walker is is a great accountability tool. If you are someone more into strength training and bicycling and things like that an hrm would be better. (I actually have both) and I am never without wither one anymore,
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've owned one for about 24 hours, and so far, find it absolutely fascinating. The integration between FitBit and MFP is great too. I'm sure I'll run into a few glitches along the way, but so far, the geek side of me is giddy.

(It probably helps that several of my co-workers have one too. I'm *slightly* competitive by nature.)
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    get one, i got one about 6 months ago and i love it. Tracks my running and just about everything
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I got one for Christmas, I love it and don't go anywhere without it now!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I know what I'm asking for for Valentine's!
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Love my fitbit, had it nearly a year. It gives you lots of data. I track my food on MFP and my exercise on Fitbit, and it all syncs very beautifully. I have recently started wearing mine every day again, after not using it for a while. It also monitors sleep.
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
    It "talks" to MFP so adjusts your allowed calorie intake the more you move - you do not have to manually enter exercise.
    Motivation +++ when you compare your steps with others.... a year ago I never thought I would be able to walk over 35000 steps and over 300 floors in a day - but I did a couple of days ago! Apparently I have walked over 3000 kms this past year.
    Yep - I'm addicted to it!
    I have the ARIA scales too.
  • normatus
    normatus Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Get a heart rate monitor. It's a more accurate way of gauging calories burned. Get em both! lol
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options
    Is it a clip on thing?

I just checked the website and they have a cool bracelet "coming in spring 2013"
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    -I love my fitbit. It motivates me to do more. If you are a walker is is a great accountability tool. If you are someone more into strength training and bicycling and things like that an hrm would be better. (I actually have both) and I am never without wither one anymore,

Exactly this....
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options

Get a heart rate monitor. It's a more accurate way of gauging calories burned. Get em both! lol

I already have a HRM :)

EDIT:

...Actually.....come to think of it...the HRM was my present last Valentine's LOL!!!!!!
  • aligatah
    aligatah Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A thousand times YES!

I wasn't able to lose weight consistently until I got mine because I get a more accurate measurement/estimate of my daily calorie burn. I knew MFP overestimated my exercise calories, etc. I track my food here and activity and calories on Fitbit.com (I think Fitbit gives me a more accurate count -- MFP tells me I have more to eat than FB).

Also, as others said, it can inspire me to be at least a little more active. For instance, on days when I don't go to the gym, but I'm approaching 5,000 steps for the day, I'll walk the extra steps just to get to that level.

ETA: I use my calories consumed from here and calories burned from there to maintain my 1,000 calorie a day deficit.
  • KathieD213
    KathieD213 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Is it a clip on thing?

I just checked the website and they have a cool bracelet "coming in spring 2013"

I just bought the Fitbit One because I am impatient, but when the Flex (wristband) comes out I will be upgrading. I am a gadget nut, I have HRM as well for when I am doing strength training etc. that fitbit can't adequately track.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is it a clip on thing?

I just bought the Fitbit One because I am impatient, but when the Flex (wristband) comes out I will be upgrading. I am a gadget nut, I have HRM as well for when I am doing strength training etc. that fitbit can't adequately track.

FYI, the Flex doesn't count stairs. May not be a big deal for you, but I know it is for some people.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit and use it all the time. I also have a HRM and use that when working out. They are both real great tools, but the fitbit will give you day overall amount where the HRM will only work when you are working out.
  • aligatah
    aligatah Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Let me know if you want to sell your Fitbit One!
  • NureeniWright
    Options
    I'm also thinking of getting a Fitbit. This might be a stupid question but I know that it tracks the number and calories of steps and stairs that you take, but if i go running will it track those calories too? i.e. Will it be able to tell the difference between running 1000 steps or walking 1000 steps?
  • LibbyDogVT
    LibbyDogVT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got a Zip for Christmas and love it. I didn't care about the One because I wasn't interested in tracking my sleep or how many stairs I do. I sleep fine and live in a house with 3 floors, so I already know I do a lot of stairs.

I will admit that it has made me a little neurotic. It's made me much more aware of how active or inactive I am. I find myself competing with myself on a daily basis to try and beat or meet the previous day. I've only had about 4 days since I got it where I walked less than 10,000 steps. Today I'm over 20,000. Wearing it is just a constant reminder that I need to keep moving.

I do aerobic exercise first thing in the morning but don't wear it for that, just my walking around during the day. It tracks my steps accurately and seems to do an adequate job on the calorie tracking too. I've lost 5% of my body weight since I started wearing it. I would highly recommend getting one.
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have the ultra (the old model) and have had it over a year now. I LOVE IT! Since having it I am motivated to stay active and moving. I have a goal of 10,000 steps some days I do it some days I don't but I am still way more active than I was. I had to take a break from using it due to a surgery that had me recuperating for about 3 months. I have been back on it - DAILY since September and lost 15 lbs since then. I love the ability to track my sleep as well. Before my surgery (neurostimulator implant to block nerve pain) it was indicating that I was waking up over 18 times a night, since the surgery I am down to waking about 8 to 10 times. Much better sleep now.

I am debating on moving the the Flex. I would love the ability to have it waterproof but I want to know if it would be completely waterproof for swimming. I know it is safe for a shower......

For those that want to "compete" a little - find me - Manzan. :wink: